Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Bruce/Texas

Default Spring Spreader Question

I am making a spring spreader to remove the springs on my '39. What is the relaxed eye to eye dimension on the front and rear springs? I want to make sure the spreader will shorten enough to remove the spreader from the spring.

Also, if I leave the front spring main leaf on the axle, will the next leave up (the one that partially bends around the eye of the main leaf) come off without a fight? Thanks
Bruce/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Scott H

Default Re: Spring Spreader Question

This may not help much, but I just took apart the rear leaf spring off a 38 car. Completely dis-assembled, the main spring is 41.5" from inside the eye where the spreader would rest.

Haven't done the front yet, but I bet its similiar.
This was off a 38, not 39
car, not pickup.

I used a porta-power on mine, really appreciated the hydraulic assist and the smooth easy control of releasing the pressure without twisting the bar.

Hope it helps some.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
blucar

I have responded to this question many times on the EFV8 Forum, I also have sent a complete drawing of "my' spring spreader to the V8 Times, however they have never published an article about the spreader.
My spreader is a copy, from memory, of a spring spreader I used when I worked in a Ford garage in the late '50's.... The spreader is simple to operate, and fool proof.... No batteries required.
The spring can't come out of the spreader because of the notch's in the end of the spreader. If you want a material breakdown email me. Other than the 3/4" all thread and nuts, everything else was from stuff laying around my garage.
The point that most people fail to recognize about the Ford springs is that it does not take much pressure to spread them, therefore the amount of spread required is very small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spr.sprdr.1.jpg (55.4 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg spr.sprdr.2.jpg (61.0 KB, 232 views)
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
OLD...BILL

Bruce: I can answer half of the question, the rear spring is 40.25" shackle bolt to bolt. Note: This spring is frech clean, greased,and re-assembled, and ready to go back in the car.... OLD...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
perrysmith

As a matter of safety, all I can say is fasten a heavy chain or two to back up your spreader. I do not recommend this but last time I did this, I used all thread to drive out the spring bolt, thus catching the leaves as they exploded into the chains. Then decompressed it with the allthread, if that makes sense (which it doesn't)
perrysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
joel

Nice looking spreader.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Kentf1003

I made a spreader with an all-thread from Lowes. The spring pressure slowly bent the soft China steel into a banana. I had to locate another piece from a local steel shop. It too was from China, but held up long enough to finish the job.

Be sure to use the safety chain. All steel is not created equal.
Kentf1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
sturgis 39

Default Pat. Pending

Attached are some pictures of a spring spreader that I built. The spring energy is completely contained. It is built out of channels and angles.I posted this on the model "A" forum. It did not receive good reviews. The main concern was that the center bolt in the spring might break because of rust and corrosion before the spreader was attached to the spring. I have bought and used the spreaders with pipes and threaded rods as shown in this tread. I did not think they are safe to use.

This spreader will work on stock springs and reversed eye springs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0237.jpg (58.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0238.jpg (59.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0239.jpg (60.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0240.jpg (50.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0241.jpg (56.5 KB, 87 views)

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 01-13-2011 at 12:26 AM.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentf1003 View Post
I made a spreader with an all-thread from Lowes. The spring pressure slowly bent the soft China steel into a banana. I had to locate another piece from a local steel shop. It too was from China, but held up long enough to finish the job.

Be sure to use the safety chain. All steel is not created equal.
A little advice from a retired tool maker...
Guys, "all-thread' is NOT what you want to use in this application. Regardless of where it was produced, it is brittle and not intended to be bent. It is intended to be used to hang things (shelves) and hold together items that do not require much strength.
"Real' spring spreaders had a forged center or a steel center. Either design was strong and could absorb the pressures involved in this application.
I can forward pictures of what you should be building if safety is a concern as it should be. Remember, "cheap and easy" is not necessarily the correct way...
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Pete Fl/Wi

I know you want to build a spreader, but a Porta Power from your local rental shop works like a charm.
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fl/Wi View Post
I know you want to build a spreader, but a Porta Power from your local rental shop works like a charm.
How do you keep it from slipping off? This is the major problem with using a potra potty.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Scott H

These are the ends I used on my porta-power. It wedged itself to the spring eye ends pretty tight, no slippage. Just for safety sake I wrapped a chain around it half dozen times in case the spring let loose.

P1130010 (640x480).jpg
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #13
Bruce/Texas

Just to follow up, I made my spring spreader and have successfully removed and disassembled my front spring. I have checked and the spreader has plenty of travel to spread the rear spring as well. If anyone needs to borrow it anywhere around Ft Worth, Texas, let me know.

Bruce
Bruce/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
sturgis 39

btt

Old 04-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Andy

I use the weight of the car. On my 32 front spring, I put wooden blocks to hold the shackles horizontal when the car is jacked up. When the car is lowered, the blocks take the load off the shackles and one can be removed. The rear is done the same except I have large wooden blocks that go to the ground. Let the car down some and the load is released. You have to hunt for the sweet spot so the shackles have no load.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
boo

in the 50's i borrowed the kr wilson spring spreader from the ford garage so many times that they said they didn't use it much anymore and to keep it and if they need it they know where to find it, i still have it... also their chain fall, still have it too....
boo is offline   Reply With Quote