Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #21
larrys40

Default Re: Pinion assembly installation-What does restore actually mean?

Benson,
That is a funny but all too often true story.... I worked on one last week at one of the local car musuems the previous owner did a lot of that. some call it "perfume on a pig" .

All the best!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #22
Ernie Vitucci

Default Re: Pinion assembly installation

Good Afternoon...People who do such things certainly will not go to the big Model A Garage in the sky, they will most likely go to a the war in Afghanistan and have to stay there until the end of time, or maybe they will be made part of the crew of the 'Flying Dutchman' doomed to attempting to sail around the horn until the end of time! Or perhaps stuck on a Camel on the North African Desert until the end of time!Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:52 AM   #23
Tom Endy

Default Re: Pinion assembly installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
I see your banjo housing is the 28 style. They were disconntinued as they were a two piece with the front flange welded on and they commonly leak and are weaker than the ribbed reinforced style. I would recommend just going the extra distance in work to disassemble the rear axle since you have that style housing that will have some extra weight on it, and do not know the condition of the rest of your bearings,races, and components.

Just my suggestion. If I don't know who or have knowledge of what the rear axle is like and you're installing an overdrive to go a little faster I believe it is very prudent to ensure the rest of the rear is top notch.

Have done many myself and the worst rear axle I tore apart condition wise was on a "restored" car.
Just my take.

Larry Shepard

The early 1928 banjos do not have support gussets at the torque tube flange and are prone to crack behind the flange. The two axle housing mounting bolt holes on each side closest to the flange will most always be found to have a crack running from them.

It is prudent to replace the banjo with a later one that has support gussets during an overhaul unless you are building a 28 blue ribbon car.

Discarded torque tubes are not difficult to find, there is an abundance of them with all the overdrives that have been installed. they have no value and people who regularly install overdrives are tripping over them.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote