Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
53_mercLuke

Default Borg-Warner overdrive transmission issue

I have recently had an issue with my overdrive, it works fine most of the time and then it will all of a sudden stop working. At first I thought it was a bad wire connection but when I jump the governor everything works as it should, then I take it out for a test drive and runs great. But sometimes coming home from work or going to lunch I will take off from a stop sign/light and it won't work. All the wiring is new and I'm not finding any broke or pinched wires and my trans has fluid in it. Has anyone had this issue before?
53_mercLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #2
Frank Miller

Default Re: Borg-Warner overdrive transmission issue

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Could be dirty points on the governor. If you ground the terminal on the relay I think labeled sw and has the wire going down to the kickdown switch you shouls hear the solenoid want to engage. If not you have the kickdown switch, the governor and if equipped the reverse lockout switch. also make sure the relay is working by checking with a test light when you ground it. There are also a set of points in the solenoid to switch from the pull in coil to the holding one.