Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2016, 05:41 AM   #41
47COE

Default Re: Cranks but no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53_mercLuke View Post
So I tested the ohms from the wire that hooks up to the coil from the distributor to the distributor case with the distributor out of the vehicle. With the points closed on the flat of the cam I get 000.1 ohms and with the points open on high part of cam I get 000.0 ohms. I tried to short the points with a screwdriver driver and nothing happened. I checked the wires in the distributor for bare wire or anything and can't find anything wrong.
What does your meter read on the ohms scale when the leads aren't connected to anything? I ask because there are a number of different ways that ohms readings for an open circuit could be displayed, depending on the meter.

In any case, the reading that should get with the cam follower on the high part of the cam and the points open should be the same as if the leads weren't connected to anything.

If you are indeed getting a low ohms reading with the points open, then the distributor has an internal short. That would explain the no spark.

As for the cause, I would start by taking the points out and repeating the measurement. Perhaps some part of the points is shorting because it wasn't quite installed in the right place.

If there is still a short with the points out, then further disassembly would be needed. Or a replacement distributor. I'm not familiar with the details of that distributor. But I bet there are others that are.
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #42
53_mercLuke

So just an update on the no spark issue. I replaced everything in the distributor and still had nothing so I finally broke down and took it to a shop and I guess I had the isolators shorting out and a couple missing parts. I got it back today and now I have spark. I really appreciate all your guys help.

Last edited by 53_mercLuke; 11-09-2016 at 09:56 PM.
53_mercLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #43
Paul Bennett

What's an 'isolator' ??
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #44
koates

Should read INSULATOR as in the one on the points terminal stud where the condenser wire and coil primary + wire goes. Or the bottom terminal stud in the dist. housing where the coil + primary wire goes on. Insulator washers have to be positioned correctly in both these places otherwise the coil primary + wire will be grounded before the contacts. Quite a few of the previous posts indicated a problem in there, but the eyes have to understand what is being looked for. Glad its fixed for you. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote