Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
Rparker28

Default Cleaning the upholstery?

All- I recently purchased a 1929 Model A town sedan that had been sitting in a barn for 61 years. Needless to say it was dirty. I washed the car and vacuumed the inside out. The upholstery even though vacuumed still is dusty dirty. What could I use to give it a good cleaning so that you could feel good about sitting and driving in it? Would today's chemicals harm the old upholstery? Ralph
Rparker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: Cleaning the upholstery?

Try Resolve upholstery and rug cleaner
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
captndan

I would suggest going to a detail shop that has the right equipment and know-how.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I would suggest going to a detail shop that has the right equipment and know-how.
X2 on that. There are some shops that use steam which is the best. I also bought a carpet cleaner at Costco that has an attachment for upholstery and it works pretty good on my Highlander. Don't need it on my roadster because the seats are vinyl.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Yes, two things you need in this is a steamer and an extractor. Ask for those two items by name. If they have them, chances are they can do you a good job. If they don't, then be forewarned!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

If doing it by hand, apply cleaner & let it sit for a bit, then "wick" it out, with dry terrycloth.
Mr. Clean--LOL
Old 05-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
Rparker28

Thanks guys......We Have an automotive upholsterer in town and maybe they can clean it for me. I know that the material has a lot of age on it and I don't want to ruin it. My desire is to leave the car as original as possible and driving it that way.Of course I will get new tires and such but everything else will be left alone. The paint job was courtesy of someone who was pretty good at using a paint brush. It has a paintbrush patina. Got one more cylinder to get unstuck and hopefully she will run,Ralph
Old 05-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparker28 View Post
Thanks guys......We Have an automotive upholsterer in town and maybe they can clean it for me. I know that the material has a lot of age on it and I don't want to ruin it. My desire is to leave the car as original as possible and driving it that way.Of course I will get new tires and such but everything else will be left alone. The paint job was courtesy of someone who was pretty good at using a paint brush. It has a paintbrush patina. Got one more cylinder to get unstuck and hopefully she will run,Ralph
Ralph,
When our REAL GURU, Claude, had a REALLY BAD stuck valve, he'd pop off the manifolds, heat the stem with a propane torch & flush it with carb cleaner, followed by some GOOD Penetrating oil.
Bill W. (Assistant Guru of Stuff!)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
1crosscut

If you have or have access to a good air compressor get a piece of metal brake line about 30" long and attach it to the end of a standard air gun and use it to blow the upholstery out. You can bend it to reach into the tight spots, springs etc... Aamazing how much dirt you can dislodge this way.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Primefit-...1001/205149499
Old 05-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
Rparker28

Thanks Bill for the insight......I cannot wait to get her running and back on the road. I have got some of the other items checked off the list like,battery,plugs and coil bought. Replacement light bulbs,gaskets etc........It is going to be amazing and my dad(which is another reason I bought the car)is chomping at the bit to relive some of his childhood memories as when we are working on it he tells me the story of how the adults would ride inside the model a and the kids would be up on the running boards going down the dirt roads to get to his aunts house. I LOVE it!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #11
Rparker28

Dave, I never thought about the air compressor. I got one and I will absolutely will try it. That is why you are a senior and I am a junior......appreciate you,Ralph
Old 05-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
JDupuis

Weed sprayer filled with carpet/upholstry cleaner.
Use a wet/dry shop vac (in wet mode). Suck out years of dirt.
Works for stains in the house carpet as well.
No need to rent a machine.
Hope this helps. Jeff
Old 05-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
duke36

If the fabrics are original style, non synthetics like wool, cotton,(mohair, broadcloth, bedford cord, etc.) be very careful what's applied. Water stains or halo type rings could develop. Check with professionals as stated or one can try some diluted Folex cleaner on a non visible area and vacuum. Not sure about the compressor idea-- which may drive the dirt in to the natural fabrics.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
Rparker28

Thanks all for the advice.....going to upholstery shop Tuesday to see what my options are. I will let everyone know what they say. If I can do it myself that would be good for me,Ralph
Old 05-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #15
Ed Saniewski

My 31 Town Sedan came with the original Broad Cloth with stripe seat upholstery and I used a Bissle green carpet/curtain cleaner. I mixed up Woolite and water as a cleaning agent, and the dirt that came out was amazing.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
Rparker28

Thanks Ed! Here is an update for everyone. I worked on the model A again today for alittle while and so while I was drinking my coffee I remembered that I had a can of tuff stuff upholstery cleaner. So I went and got it and a upholstery brush and I started cleaning the upholstery. Well........it is much improved! No discoloration or splotches or any issues. I know that it still needs a deeper cleaning but it made a huge difference......the car smells better and looks better and even removed some stains on the seats. Just sayin........Ralph
Old 05-31-2017, 05:00 PM   #17
Rparker28

All.....Went by the upholstery shop today and talked to the owner who has been in business since 1961. He works on high end hot rods and classic cars. He recommended that I did not use any liquids on the car but that I should just do a deep vacuum several times until I got as much dust and dirt as possible out of the upholstery. He said with the age of the material and the type of material it would be risky to do anything else. I used tuff stuff Memorial Day and it still looks good and smells good. I think that I will just vacuum as he said several times and maintain that,Ralph
Old 05-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
duke36

forgot to mention that the natural fabrics years ago were dry cleaned with products containing carbon tetrachloride , nasty and toxic. The closest product for the lay person was Energine , etc. Interesting that the shop had no drycleaning option. Wonder what the high end professional detailers use for concours cars. We have one in our area and will report back if any suggestions. Also, if on brownish or tan fabrics that are stained or lightened by prior cleaning, one shop recommended dabbing with coffee to bring back color !!
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
Rparker28

Thanks....any help would be appreciated......
Old 05-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #20
TerryO

Hi Ralph, Just FYI Mikes Affordable in Maysville is having their annual Grandfathers day this Saturday. Lots of Model A's and Model A folks there. Maybe we'll meet up there. I'm right up the road from you in Chatsworth.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 AM   #21
Rparker28

Hey! I wish I could go to mikes but I won't make it this year. I did however just get some parts in from him. We definitely need to connect because we are in each other's back yard,Ralph
Old 06-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #22
Cool Hand Lurker

On a modern car with synthetic fabric I had good luck with Dawn dish washing liquid in a 5 gallon bucket of water, applied with a sponge to the whole seat so it was all wet. Getting the whole seat wet kept 'rings' from forming when it was dry. I washed out the soap thoroughly with a garden hose on full pressure so it just ran through all the padding and dripped out of the bottom of the seat until it was clear. Then I just let it air dry for a couple of days. Came out clean with no spots or rings.
This whole process was done outside.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #23
Rparker28

Thanks Cool Hand! I was talking with some one just last week about the cool hand Luke movie and how the warden said......what we have here is a failure to communicate and Luke has just got to get his mind right! Appreciate the idea,Ralph
Old 06-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #24
jm29henry

Just my thought is that any spray in type cleaners leave a soap residue and actually attract dirt.
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #25
t-head

I want to clean a mint original broad cloth interior in an early 1929 Sport Coupe.

Do not want to use anything that may harm it in the long run.

Anyone have any knowledge about how an antique fabric conservator would clean this type of fabric?
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
captndan

Not trying to hyjack but what about a grease stain on the head liner from pulling the horn rod?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #27
iverson

I know its bad stuff but carbon tett is whats in the old brass fire extingushers from what I heard. I see them at garage sales it might be worth a try if thats what was used originally just be careful
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #28
JDupuis

Captndan, try an areosal glass cleaner, with paper towel. Have done this many a times. Jeff
Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #29
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Not trying to hyjack but what about a grease stain on the head liner from pulling the horn rod?
Try warm water with a few drops of Dawn in a spray bottle. Use a small hand vacuum to pull it out. You could use paint thinner but pulling that through a vacuum might cause a quick fire.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote