Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
James Rogers

Default Re: Fun with V-8 a clutch

My "small mind" does have a faster way but my customer considerate mind does not think it is better or as accurate so, I do it the correct way, with a mill and rotary table. I was taught to do things the correct way the first time and I don't have to do them over. I know we all have our way of doing things but nobody should resort to insults to make a point.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
JoeWay

I don't know why people are protecting these "secrets". Do you really think you are going to lose jobs if you tell the forum?

James has described his method, which can be done on a mill without DRO but requires a rotary table. I did my first few without a rotary table on a mill with DRO, using X-Y coordinates. See below for a set of coordinates. This method is as accurate as the rotary table method but not quite as fast. I would add that with either method it's best to make one run through the pattern with a rigid spotting drill bit, and a second run with the "F" tap drill bit.

I am now using a template made from a badly scored V-8 flywheel. I put it on the mill to add an extra 5/16" hole to use as a tap guide. The center plug is a press fit in the template bearing bore and a tight slip fit in the flywheel bearing bore. This method could result in a thousandth or so inaccuracy on any given hole, but is still much more accurate than the stamped holes in a pressure plate. Photo below. This could be done on a large drill press, but I prefer to use the mill.

Anyone whose method is to place a pressure plate on a flywheel and use it as a template is kidding themselves. There is no surface on a pressure plate that is a reliable indication of center, including the hole pattern itself. The holes are often far enough from the pattern to cause trouble starting bolts--sometimes so far off that some bolts cannot be started, as has been reported here more than once.

Joe

X= -1.4299, Y= 4.9865
X= 1.4299, Y= 4.9865
X= 5.0334, Y= -1.2550
X= 3.6035, Y= -3.7316
X= -3.6035, Y= -3.7316
X= -5.0334, Y= -1.2550
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1564.JPG (77.5 KB, 23 views)
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
CarlG

Know your limits and let the professionals take over when you have reached that point.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
Pete

Quote( nobody should resort to insults to make a point. )Quote.

You are right there.

As to giving away "trade secrets", I am always amused by the people that
expect to be given life on a silver platter. They are too lacking in ambition
to find out the information for themselves. This pertains to just about anything, not just clutches.
And, YES, giving away the "secrets" will in most cases take money out of the pocket of the person with the information.

Oh, by the way, in case you didn't know it, the automotive clutch is one of the most NON PRECISION parts in an engine. You can drill a flywheel on a Pratt & Whitney or a SIP jig borrer and still have to add or subtract
3 ounces to balance the clutch.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #25
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Why not call Rich Fallucca and just buy one done and finished.. Not what you wanted to hear but easy@

Where do we find him?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
pick

Hats off to people like Mr. Rogers who not only make the parts & services that help keep this hobby alive and well available but are also not reluctant to share their knowledge.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote