Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Newly acquired '31 AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
really nice truck. I did not relize that they had a black commercial headlight bucket in 31. I sure would like to find a set of those for a project
I have a set of bare buckets that I sandblasted and primered a decade or two ago. Located in Los Angeles.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 AM   #22
rrich1

Well yesterday I was able to go get my truck. The weather overall was good. Hit a thunderstorm on the way home. My f150 pulled the AA like a champ and was my first time hauling anything.

We we're unable to get the truck to run. I plan to clean the points, install new plugs and a coil today before work. I have a new oil pan gasket waiting to go on as well.

I will get some better pics when it is daylight out. There appear to be a few different oil leaks that I want to address. Overall I couldn't be happier and the kids love it for the 10 min they got to check it out before it was too dark.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by rrich1; 05-29-2019 at 12:37 AM.
rrich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:36 AM   #23
Roxo

That's a real nice truck. I'm glad you got it back in the family. Enjoy!
I sent you a private message.
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #24
rrich1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
That's a real nice truck. I'm glad you got it back in the family. Enjoy!
I sent you a private message.
Thanks. I replied to you.

I changed the coil and plugs this morning along with the copper plug "wires". I got it started enough to drive it 1/2 the way I needed. Once I tried to go up hill it died. My friend brought over his tractor and we pulled it up into my garage. Overall it went extremely well and I can say I got it running which was my goal. It had no power so I assume the timing is off. I already purchased the timin pin indicator and wrench. Hopefully here soon I can get back to it and get it running.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #25
CHuDWah

Very nice truck. You're fortunate to have the correct painted radiator shell, headlights, cowl band and taillight. Over the years, lots of trucks got "upgraded" with the stainless passenger parts so originals are hard to find. Interesting rope "struts" on the outside mirrors - I assume to stabilize them? They do tend to vibrate. This site may be if interest if you haven't already found it:

https://aafords.com/
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #26
rrich1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Very nice truck. You're fortunate to have the correct painted radiator shell, headlights, cowl band and taillight. Over the years, lots of trucks got "upgraded" with the stainless passenger parts so originals are hard to find. Interesting rope "struts" on the outside mirrors - I assume to stabilize them? They do tend to vibrate. This site may be if interest if you haven't already found it:

https://aafords.com/
Thanks. My grandfather put bunjee cords on the mirrors to help with the vibration like you mentioned. Works well and easy to take on and off. The aaford website has been a great help for me in researching about Aa's.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #27
rrich1

Aaaaand guess who forgot to turn the fuel cut off switch already [emoji849][emoji38][emoji58]

Old 05-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #28
KGBnut

Wow, what a great looking truck. Congrats. You will get her running and smoothed out in no time.

The one piece of advice I give all new Model A owners.... Avoid the temptation to upgrade things to new/modern parts: alternators, modern points, hydraulic brakes. I'm not saying there is not a place for these things, but learn how to make the original parts work correctly first. It will give you a better appreciation for the truck as it was.

Good luck.

Ken
Old 05-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #29
Ernie Vitucci

Good Evening...I would suggest that you join a local Model A Club and see if their engine guy can take a look at your truck. Since it only ran a short distance, you might take the cap off the fuel tank...and see if she runs. Those caps are suppose to be vented and when sitting they clog up...then the old girls will not run! Sometimes if the fuel tank is dirty it is helpful to use a little one gallon tank of clean fresh gas to help get her running and not clog up the carburetor. You might well have to flush the engine and the radiator and the gas tank a few times to get them to run clean...Great Truck...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #30
rrich1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Wow, what a great looking truck. Congrats. You will get her running and smoothed out in no time.

The one piece of advice I give all new Model A owners.... Avoid the temptation to upgrade things to new/modern parts: alternators, modern points, hydraulic brakes. I'm not saying there is not a place for these things, but learn how to make the original parts work correctly first. It will give you a better appreciation for the truck as it was.

Good luck.

Ken
thanks. i dont plan to do any modern modifications to it unless i have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci View Post
Good Evening...I would suggest that you join a local Model A Club and see if their engine guy can take a look at your truck. Since it only ran a short distance, you might take the cap off the fuel tank...and see if she runs. Those caps are suppose to be vented and when sitting they clog up...then the old girls will not run! Sometimes if the fuel tank is dirty it is helpful to use a little one gallon tank of clean fresh gas to help get her running and not clog up the carburetor. You might well have to flush the engine and the radiator and the gas tank a few times to get them to run clean...Great Truck...Ernie in Arizona
I contacted the local club to me and will hear back from them on monday. I loosened the cap yesterday and unfortunately it didnt solve my problem. we put pure gas in it but there was some newer reg gas that the previous owner put in as well. is there a recommended way to flush the tank? I plan to drop the oil pan this week.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #31
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...I have sometimes removed the floor boards and then removed the valve from the bottom of the tank and then flushed right through to the ground. I usually replace with a new stock valve and an additional 1/4 turn ball valve from Bratton's. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #32
modeleh

Nice looking Truck! I bought my 31 AA when I was about the same age as you are now. Nice to see some younger guys step up to the plate to preserve the old stuff. You and your family will have a great time with it. I’ll cross my fingers for you and hope you have the 5.14s.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #33
rrich1

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
Nice looking Truck! I bought my 31 AA when I was about the same age as you are now. Nice to see some younger guys step up to the plate to preserve the old stuff. You and your family will have a great time with it. I’ll cross my fingers for you and hope you have the 5.14s.
Thanks! The tag on the differential says 7-36. I was told that means I have the high speed 5.14 rear end. [emoji16] I am incredibly excited to have it. I'll be preserving it as much as I can until it needs to be restored. The truck is in fantastic shape overall. There are paint chips with minor surface rust at those chips. It's been garage/she'd kept since at least 1981.