Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Jembow

Default Model 60 at Bonhams UK Auction Sun 7th April

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/254...ngth=50&page=3

This looks like a 35, but the given date of 1936 is probably correct for original sale in Britain. We often lagged behind the US in model changes: they were selling AA trucks in 1933.

With chassis no 3215 it probably had the 4 main 15 stud engine originally. Looks like it has a 37 tinside now. I am trying to find someone who is going to the auction so they can see if it has a date stamped on the inlet manifold behind the carb. Both my coupe and Roger Gurney's cabriolet have a July 37 date - I have a theory that Ford recalled the 4 main engine and swapped for the tin-side.

For those of you who think the V8-60 dates from '37, it was designed to go into a mid-range European car, the Model 62, and was announced at the Ford Exhibition (Royal Albert Hall, London) in October 1935. But the Model 62 wasn't ready so they put the first 3000 or so motors in the Model 48 chassis and called it Model 60.

Here's a Model 62 ad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford gb 1937 v8_22hp.jpg (42.7 KB, 51 views)
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
4 MAINS V8

Default Re: Model 60 at Bonhams UK Auction Sun 7th April

2807 model 60’s were produced in the UK during 1936 with the 4 main bearing 60hp engine, which was also tin sided. Compared with only 616 model 48’s during 1935. Before being replaced by the model 62 fitted with the later (more reliable? 3 main bearing engine, also used in the US.

The model 60 was introduced to boost sales of the larger Fords in the UK. The UK’s system of HP ratings penalised vehicles with large engines. With the smaller engine in the model 60, the road tax was more affordable.

Not all model 60 engines were replaced with the later engine. My model 60 J454 5198 registered in May 1936 is still fitted with its original 4 bearing engine and was used up until 1967 having gone round the clock.
4 MAINS V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Mart

The ad is a little misleading, going on about the 85 horsepower V8. Unless I missed it, it doesn't say this particular model has the smaller motor. It does look like a very nice car, though.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Jembow

That's auctioneers for you, just reach for the standard reference book. Back in 1978, Mike Worthington-Williams at Sothebys catalogued my coupe as 85hp. Someone will be disappointed, the Model 60 got a ridiculous rear axle ratio of 4.77. When we first drove out, at 30mph my wife said 'Aren't you going to change up?' 'We're already in top!'

The car looks clean, but under the hood looks like it needs work. The original Autopulse pump has been replaced by an SU and it all looks neglected. Bet it'll need a brake job.
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote