Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
mfirth

Smile motorcraft oil

Any of you guys running Motorcraft oil in a fresh mostly stock 8ba ? What vis. ?
I'm think'n 10 w 30 conventional with 180 stats. Thanks in advance !
I find myself reading about stuf that doesn't pertain 2 anything i'm doing cause you guys make good reading. Flatheads 4 ever.......... mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: motorcraft oil

I mostly use M/C Synblend 5w/20 in my stock early 38 21-studder. Sometimes I use other brands 5w/20. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
1942deluxe

Motorcraft 10W 30 Diesel in a stock 59AB 1948 Ford.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
tubman

That will be fine. I think that these days some people get overly concerned about oil because a few people had trouble with flat cams on hi-performance engines that probably had more to do with assembly problems than zinc levels. All commercially available oil has to meet a set of standards that are more than adequate for a flathead Ford (non-detergent oils excepted). I do, however, commend you on opting for 180 thermostats. A lot of people run their engines too cold. The quest for the highest reading on the oil pressure gauge and the lowest on the temperature gauge is not a good trend.

Last edited by tubman; 11-23-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Proper use of an adverb
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
mfirth

Thanks fellas, and i agree with you Tubman. My tired engine runs @ 180 unless it is cool outside,even if i git on it some it never overheats in hot weather. Thanks again. m
Old 11-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Bill OH

Hi Mike: Missed you Tuesday. I run Mobile 1 - 5W20 in my 221 with 170 stats.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

I'm glad to see there are allot of smart people out here. Keep in mind that the stock Flathead has only 40 lbs of spring pressure and almost the same amt of bearing surface as a SBC
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Motorcraft Syn. Blend 5W-30 used here. Buy it by the 5 qt. jug at WalMart, not that expensive.

Been using it quite some time no problems. 59AB flathead.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
supereal

Cam "flatting" is very rare in a stock Ford flathead, as OR above says. We do find it frequently in newer vehicles, due mostly to failure of the owner to change oil and filter according to the owner's manual. In any case, today's oils are light years ahead of the oils available when these older vehicles were made, and any good brand should be adequaite
without zinc or other additives. I've run Castrol 20W-50 for years without problems.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
Flathead Fever

I was a fleet mechanic for 30-years. We were only allowed to use Delo 15W40 because we bought it in bulk form pumped into a 400 gallon underground tank. No matter what the under hood label recommended the engine got Delo 15W40 diesel oil. Small four-cylinders, generators on up to large diesels. I never saw a camshaft go flat. We never had any wear issues unless the oil all leaked out. We probably had a thousand vehicles and I don't remember an engine ever wearing out. They usually seized up Drivers were suppose to check the oil and we only serviced them every 6-months so you can imagine what happened. Sometimes those engines would go 12K miles between services. The vehicles always fell apart long before the engines gave-up. So that convinced me to use that oil in all my older cars. It has all the anti-wear additives you need for your flat tappet cams because the additives need to be their for the pressures placed on those diesel engines wear surfaces. The viscosity is great for cold start ups and warm driving. The modern engines that use "0W" and"5W" viscosity have really tight clearances in their engines. I don't know think I would feel comfortable using it in an older engine. Most of us stick with what we know has always worked until the government takes it away. And the other guy that mentioned Walmart is correct. You can buy 5-gallon jugs of Delo 15W40 cheaper there than any other place on the planet. In fact I had a neighbor that owned a oil change shop and he bought all his oil from Walmart.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The API service classification tells a person about everything about the motor oil additives in a given package. This link is for standard auto motor oil but there are other ratings for diesel trucks. http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm The brand doesn't really matter due to this. They all have to meet or exceed standards.

SAE 10W/30 viscosity index falls right in the original viscosity rating for the old flatheads and is a decent all weather product. If a person is in a higher temperature location straight grade oils or slightly higher index will give longer service but if the engine has little or no small particle oil filtration then that makes the time limitation for oil change intervals lower anyway so a polymer based oil would be more practical just on the standpoint of availability.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
mfirth

rotowrench, you remind me that i grew up on Ford Tri Motors. I Love radial engines and flew right seat in a Ford @ the age of 10 going to Put-in-Bay on Lake Erie. Thanks for your input and thanks to everyone for their info. Have a GR8 weekend ! mike
Old 11-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
I was a fleet mechanic for 30-years. We were only allowed to use Delo 15W40 because we bought it in bulk form pumped into a 400 gallon underground tank. No matter what the under hood label recommended the engine got Delo 15W40 diesel oil. Small four-cylinders, generators on up to large diesels. I never saw a camshaft go flat. We never had any wear issues unless the oil all leaked out. We probably had a thousand vehicles and I don't remember an engine ever wearing out. They usually seized up Drivers were suppose to check the oil and we only serviced them every 6-months so you can imagine what happened. Sometimes those engines would go 12K miles between services. The vehicles always fell apart long before the engines gave-up. So that convinced me to use that oil in all my older cars. It has all the anti-wear additives you need for your flat tappet cams because the additives need to be their for the pressures placed on those diesel engines wear surfaces. The viscosity is great for cold start ups and warm driving. The modern engines that use "0W" and"5W" viscosity have really tight clearances in their engines. I don't know think I would feel comfortable using it in an older engine. Most of us stick with what we know has always worked until the government takes it away. And the other guy that mentioned Walmart is correct. You can buy 5-gallon jugs of Delo 15W40 cheaper there than any other place on the planet. In fact I had a neighbor that owned a oil change shop and he bought all his oil from Walmart.
I did an oil change on one of my flatheads a couple years ago and didn't use delo 15-40. I used Shell rotella T 15-40, another good diesel rated oil. Driving around with our favorite 'feel good' oil makes us happy even though many good ones are out there.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote