Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
Mart

Default 32 5W coupe question.

A friend has a 5W coupe. It has been pieced together. Can someone help with a key dimension?

What should the clearance be between the lower end of the rear of the body and the top side of the fuel tank?

Thanks in advance.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Pat/Ohio

Default Re: 32 5W coupe question.

Mart,

I measured the gap on my 5W and it is measuring approximately 3/4" on the ends near the frame horn cover and closer to 1/2" in the middle. This provides ample room for fitting the frame horn covers.

These same measurement areas on my '32 Tudor are closer.

Good luck!
Pat

Sorry about the computer changing the orientation of the pictures. They are correct in my picture file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas tank body clearance 1.jpg (48.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Gas tank body clearance 2.jpg (53.5 KB, 51 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Krylon32

I agree with Pats measurements. Don't panic if you have a small gap between the body and the frame at the back body hole. On the original 32 5 window I had there was a factory shim in this area. Don't know if all 32's had this shim. David may chime in?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Mart

Thanks fellas. Have passed the info to my friend.

Mart.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
DavidG

Mart,
With exception of the deluxe (3-window) coupe that dimension falls within the range of Pat's measurements on all of the '32 passenger car bodies. (For a deluxe coupe it is slightly less given the additional length of the body over the gas tank.)

However, that dimension presumes that the body is mounted on the chassis frame as original with a 1/4" rubber pad between the body and frame at the rearmost attachment points and a 1/8" rubber pad at the penultimate attachment points.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Mart

Thanks for the further clarification, David. My friend just checked and his body is sitting too high at the rear. It affects all the alignments at the hood and firewall.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
DavidG

Mart,

It could affect those fits, however there may be another reason. It is not uncommon for '32 frames, especially the early and mid-year versions, to be bent downward in the rear from the high points above the rear axle housings. With a rear-mounted spare wheel and tire and a full tank of gasoline there's a lot of weight at the extreme end of the frame. On rough enough roads not uncommon in the day a big enough pot hole in the road could cause the rear spring to flex enough for the rear axle housings to bottom out on the rubber bumpers underneath the high point of the frame. In doing so, if severe enough, the axle housings would act as fulcrums and result in a bent frame. It is easy to confirm if your friend's frame suffered that damage by feeling along the vertical surfaces at the high point on the frame (assuming his frame is an original). If he perceive an outward bulge there, his frame is bent downward.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Mart

Thanks David. I'm sorry, I should have said it is an aftermarket frame. (Saved you the long typing exercise). However, the info you have laid down is perfectly valid and might help someone else. My own frame, which is an original, suffered exactly like you have stated. I had to do some serious rework on one side in particular.

Mart.