Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
jwilliams81

Default Re: Front spring replacement advice

Over this past winter I replaced my front and rear springs with new ones from:
http://www.a-springs.com/products.html

When I received them, I took them apart and coated them with Slip-Plate.
https://www.amazon.com/SLIP-Plate-No...rds=slip+plate

At the same time I sent all four shocks out to John Holland to be rebuilt.

Everything is installed and amazing.

I would highly recommend
http://www.a-springs.com/products.html and John Holland for rebuilt shocks.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #22
J Franklin

As a kid I had oval perches on an A. I installed round steel bushings and filled any void with JB Weld. It might not pass judging but was a permanent fix.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #23
Johns30

Default Re: Front spring replacement advice - updated

I thought I would follow up to let everyone know that I have the new spring in, new shackles and bushings, and new shocks on, and it rides MUCH better than before!! I will attach a few pictures. A few thoughts and info:
1. The old spring had 9 leaves, the new one (from Snyders) has 10. Does anyone know why the old one only had 9??
2. My car has the modern shocks - the old u-bolt on the axle on the one side had too much thread on the shock side and it bashed a hole in the shock, so one of the original shocks was completely frozen! I'm sure this contributed to the harsh ride...
3. I beefed up the shock mount clamp on the bottom. Rather than using the small cheap u-bolts, I made a plate and then used grade 8 bolts.
4. The tube shocks are Monroe #5829 - spec'd for a 1978 Plymouth Volare . Don't ask me why but they seem to be the right size...first time I ever ordered parts for a Plymouth, LOL
Anyway, I think the project was a success. Someday when I'm rich I'll consider an original shock set up. Thanks again for all of your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring apart.jpg (58.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg perch.jpg (45.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg spring comparison.jpg (85.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg spring final.jpg (51.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg close up.jpg (61.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Johns30; 08-07-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Johns30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns30 View Post
I thought I would follow up to let everyone know that I have the new spring in, new shackles and bushings, and new shocks on, and it rides MUCH better than before!! I will attach a few pictures. A few thoughts and info:
1. The old spring had 9 leaves, the new one (from Snyders) has 10. Does anyone know why the old one only had 9??
2. My car has the modern shocks (originals not in the budget) - the old u-bolt on the axle on the one side had too much thread on the shock side and it bashed a hole in the shock, so one of the original shocks was completely frozen! I'm sure this contributed to the harsh ride...
3. I beefed up the shock mount clamp on the bottom. Rather than using the small cheap u-bolts, I made a plate and then used grade 8 bolts.
4. The tube shocks are Monroe #5829 - spec'd for a 1978 Plymouth Volare . Don't ask me why but they seem to be the right size...first time I ever ordered parts for a Plymouth, LOL
Anyway, I think the project was a success. Someday when I'm rich I'll consider an original shock set up. Thanks again for all of your help!
Thanks for the update. Often times we never hear the outcome of others "projects" and are left hangin' Good to see everything worked out.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #25
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns30 View Post
2. My car has the modern shocks - the old u-bolt on the axle on the one side had too much thread on the shock side and it bashed a hole in the shock, so one of the original shocks was completely frozen! I'm sure this contributed to the harsh ride...
Those are gas charged shocks. Glad they are working out. Are they on the rear as well?
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #26
Johns30

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Those are gas charged shocks. Glad they are working out. Are they on the rear as well?
Yes, they are gas charged since that is all I could find. I've heard that some people recommend non-gas charged, but I can't see that anyone makes or sells those anymore??
Johns30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #27
28Ca8149

My 1930 Fordor has a extra Leif in the front spring . Maybe because it was sold where there was dirt roads
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #28
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Ca8149 View Post
My 1930 Fordor has a extra Leif in the front spring . Maybe because it was sold where there was dirt roads
Mine has 11 leaves as well. I was told that it was done to reinforce a tired original spring. It seems to do the job - the ride is firm and the car sits at the correct height.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote