Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
McMimmcs

Default Re: Ford Model A Camshaft Inspection and Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I thought this was supposed to be about camshafts, not a critique on the video???
My evaluation of the pictured cam is that the lobes are very regrindable, if there is such a word? The minor pitting of the lobes will easily be removed while re-grinding the cam. A more important thing is the diameter of the center lobe, this is the one most likely to have wear. Questions asked by MikeK are:
1) How much measured wear is on each bearing journal?
2) How much bend/ runout when the first and last bearing are on V blocks?
3) How much wear is in the dizzy drive helix and is it even?
4) With a degree wheel and indicator do all intake & exhaust profiles match each other and are they index-timed correctly?

My answers are:
#1, I recommend a minimum diameter of 1.556".
#2, a cam is very unlikely to be bent unless it has been hit by a broken rod.
#3, very important, but oversize dist drive gears are available
#4, Extremely unlikely to be off.

In re-grinding a cam, the process is 1, straighten the cam. 2, grind the lobes, using #1 lobe as the starting/locating point. 3, re-straighten the cam. Often grinders then put a coating on the cam to lessen any chance of wear on break-in.

When I grind a cam I first machine the nose where the thrust button contacts it, if needed and almost always is. Second is re-machining the cam where the gear mounts, if needed, they are occasionally nicked or shows signs of mis-treatment. Third is to check the fit of the dowell pins, usually OK unless a pin is missing. I occasionally need to machine a pin that is larger in diameter than stock. When I make a new pin, I also make it longer than stock, for more stability. BTW, all pins are not the same diameter where they press into the cam. Note: Not all cam nuts are identical in thread diameter, I try to send the original nut with the cam I have re-ground, when possible.

Model A/B cams are made of very good steel, and do not require heat treating.
It was my opinion he was asking what do you think about his ability to create YouTube videos!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #22
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I thought this was supposed to be about camshafts, not a critique on the video??? . . .
The original poster stated in the second paragraph: "Let me know what you think!" The four items I posted were unaddressed unknowns and directed toward that point, not open ended questions.

I certainly agree with your responses to my four points, but that all remains unknown until the cam is pulled and evaluated. Unlike your regrinds, which speak from reputation, the cam in that engine could be a terrible regrind, subject to countless maladies and not an untouched original.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
Brentwood Bob

Takes a lot of effort, and some thought to make a video. It is also a learning, and improving process. My advice is keep at it. One day we may reach the level of those mentioned above, until that time, do your best.
Should be enough room on the YouTube channel for some of us to continue.
Viewer interest should be an indicator of how good the video turned out to be.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Takes a lot of effort, and some thought to make a video. It is also a learning, and improving process. My advice is keep at it. One day we may reach the level of those mentioned above, until that time, do your best.
Should be enough room on the YouTube channel for some of us to continue.
Viewer interest should be an indicator of how good the video turned out to be.
Bob, you are another content provider that should be in the mention above.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #25
alexiskai

Are there links to Bob's videos? I watched the whole Mark Clayton Victoria series last night and it was great. Let's turn this into a reference for great Model A video creators.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

One question for those who are attempting, -or producing YouTube content. Are you writing a script or outline of topics within the video shoot that you want to cover, ...or are you just winging it and filming whatever comes to mind at the moment?

I am personally generating video content for us to use internally in my business, and I have a Excel spreadsheet for each topic along with an outline of each task needed in that topic along with notes for props or samples to show. For example, if I were producing a video on rebuilding a Brake Housing (Backing) Plate, I would want to show the differences of each variation for easy identification. I would also want to show how to remove the track rivets so as not to scar the plate, and how to clean them, how to use our fixture to install the new tracks, how to partially chase the threads for the adjusting wedge, how to straighten or repair the lip, etc. I always worry that I will miss some little detail in the entire content that would require me to do more post editing after I have published the vid. Therefore I just make notes on my phone as I think of things, and then update my spreadsheet to add those things to cover.

Am curious what is working for others.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Are there links to Bob's videos? I watched the whole Mark Clayton Victoria series last night and it was great. Let's turn this into a reference for great Model A video creators.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf8...BcHpnllY3a5HdQ

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #28
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
One question for those who are attempting, -or producing YouTube content. Are you writing a script or outline of topics within the video shoot that you want to cover, ...or are you just winging it and filming whatever comes to mind at the moment?

I am personally generating video content for us to use internally in my business, and I have a Excel spreadsheet for each topic along with an outline of each task needed in that topic along with notes for props or samples to show. For example, if I were producing a video on rebuilding a Brake Housing (Backing) Plate, I would want to show the differences of each variation for easy identification. I would also want to show how to remove the track rivets so as not to scar the plate, and how to clean them, how to use our fixture to install the new tracks, how to partially chase the threads for the adjusting wedge, how to straighten or repair the lip, etc. I always worry that I will miss some little detail in the entire content that would require me to do more post editing after I have published the vid. Therefore I just make notes on my phone as I think of things, and then update my spreadsheet to add those things to cover.

Am curious what is working for others.
I'm not doing Model A video content, but I am part of a team at my day job that produces short marketing videos. If I'm reading you correctly, you're asking basically about prompting during the shoot. We load a script into a prompter app that runs on an iPad attached to the camera mount. I believe the app is PromptSmart. It uses voice recognition to automatically advance the text as you talk, so you don't need to worry about pausing to demo something.

One advantage of doing instructional videos with a script is that it forces you to actually write down the instructions. This not only tends to improve the quality of the instructions, but you then have written instructions you can send to people and you can search for the text in your script archive to quickly locate the video where you talked about X.

Last edited by alexiskai; 12-02-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I'm not doing Model A video content, but I am part of a team at my day job that produces short marketing videos. If I'm reading you correctly, you're asking basically about prompting during the shoot. We load a script into a prompter app that runs on an iPad attached to the camera mount. I believe the app is PromptSmart. It uses voice recognition to automatically advance the text as you talk, so you don't need to worry about pausing to demo something.

One advantage of doing instructional videos with a script is that it forces you to actually write down the instructions. This not only tends to improve the quality of the instructions, but you then have written instructions you can send to people and you can search for the text in your script archive to quickly locate the video where you talked about X.
No, what I am asking is who is writing a script beforehand, -and how detailed is the content in this script? For me personally, I know what to say, ...when I can remember to say it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #30
alexiskai

The point of being prompted is to relieve your brain of the cognitive load of remembering what to say so that you can say it more effectively. If you'll be:
  • on camera
  • using extended takes
  • needing to mention specific details
then I would recommend a script and optionally a prompter if you want to maintain eye contact with the camera.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #31
P.S.

I was given the link to this thread and asked to comment.

Although it is very humbling to be considered a YouTube Model A creator in high regard, please don't use my videos as an example of what to do. I am not an expert video maker in any way. Keeping that in mind, I'll gladly share my novice thoughts since I was asked to comment.

First, having a plan for a video is important to the finished product. I usually storyboard a video well in advance of making it, hitting the main points it will cover and do a couple rough concept drawings as to what the camera angles should be for best view of the work being done. Nothing is worse than someone's body or head getting in the way of the action.

I don't produce full scripts, but I do bullet point the dialogue beforehand. Luckily, I have 36 years of radio broadcasting experience to fall back on to fill in the blanks. Most of my "scripts" are something like this-

1. Open. Topic- Removing oil pump from motor.
2. Remove oil pan. Talk about gaskets. Talk about screw to hold oil pump.
3. Show how to remove old gasket.
4. Show oil pump.
5. Show how oil pump pin fits in slot. Show pump drive.
6. Closeup of pump drive. Show gears. Show pump out of motor.
etc.
So, I script the talking points, and script the parts to talk about and parts to show. I also script the parts where I pause for a closeup or detail explanation. If you have this planned in advance, it gives you a good feel for the pacing and allows you to tweak the video before you ever start recording and saves a lot of time.

In the case of the video being discussed here, I agree with some of the comments above about watching the language and verbiage used during a video. Whether or not we're adults here isn't the issue. I have seen and heard the S-word millions of times, maybe even used it a time or two, but in the context of a video, it is a real turn off. Generational or not, foul language isn't just offensive to snowflakes, it's offensive in general.

Every video should have a conclusion or accomplishment to tie it all together. What is the purpose? What is the desired outcome? If the viewer is going to invest their time into watching your video, what can they expect to get out of it? Make that clear in the beginning. "Today, we're going to remove a camshaft from a Ford Model A motor and inspect it. I'll show you what to look for." That would be a great hook for your video. At the end, the viewer got what you promised and feels good about the time investment.

Last piece of advice is keep it moving. If you have to stop and think a minute, that's fine. Do an edit so the audience doesn't have to wait for you to gather your thoughts. Watching someone stumble through the process of finding the right word or tool is painful.

I cannot count how many clips, shots, or full videos get deleted because it just isn't coming together properly. When something is going sideways, just stop and regroup. I have had to delete entire videos because I knew if I posted that garbage, it would hurt the overall channel. All you have to do is deter someone one time with one video to make them never come back for any of your videos ever again. There's a LOT of pressure to be on your game at all times. And, sometimes that means burying your mistakes. It's tough to throw away a week or two's worth of work, but if it tastes bad, spit it out.

Other than that, I think the concept of your videos could be very helpful to someone wanting to learn something in particular. You cannot expect to be perfect right off the bat, but you can certainly get better.

I wish you the best of luck if you decide to pursue this. There are lots of reasons people decide to make videos and post for the public to view. My intention has always been to help others. Along the way, you'll meet people and have opportunities to help that you never imagined. It feels good to be able to give back.

Last edited by P.S.; 12-28-2020 at 12:42 PM.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #32
Brentwood Bob

Well said, and will certainly be helpful to me.
Nothing like sharing your wisdom.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 12-28-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #33
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Making videos is an ego driven endeavor under the guise of it being a 'contribution to the community'.The fallacy of it is commensurate with the lack of experience of those shooting them.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #34
P.S.

Speaking of wisdom... There's Bob! One of these days, we should do a collaboration video together.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #35
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Making videos is an ego driven endeavor under the guise of it being a 'contribution to the community'.The fallacy of it is commensurate with the lack of experience of those shooting them.
That precisely, is the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #36
P.S.

Quote:

And THIS is why I do not hang around the forums anymore. This is very incorrect.

So long.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #37
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
And THIS is why I do not hang around the forums anymore. This is very incorrect.

So long.
I usually just put the offending party on my "ignore list". That makes it easy to skip over.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #38
alexiskai

Quote:
Making videos is an ego driven endeavor under the guise of it being a 'contribution to the community'.
Of course it's ego-driven. Doesn't make it not worth doing. Posting a mix of technical comments and unsolicited criticism to this message board 850 times in 12 months is ego-driven too. Hate to break it to you, Jack, but you're one of us.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #39
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That precisely, is the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Damn,I fell on an 'effect'...like the blind squirrel, I found an acorn..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #40
kawagumby

Is there a named "effect" for the opposite situation...people who are capable of a task but feel incapable? That would certainly sum up my feelings about aging and working on my '31 in anything but warm weather....and nowadays doing a lot of other things too...
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote