Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Johns30

Question Front spring replacement advice

My Model A is in great shape overall, but it rides very rough. By that I mean every bump in the road makes a bang sound and I can almost feel it in the steering wheel. Granted, this is my first Model A so I don't have a point of reference for what it "should" feel like. I realize it won't ride like a new Lexus, but I'm guessing it needs some work.

The red Les Andrews books says the center of the front bumper to the ground should be 18.5". Mine is only 16.5". The book also says that there should be minimum 1/4" clearance between the bottom of the front spring eye and the top of the axle. Mine appears to be sitting on the front axle.
So, am I correct that the front spring has lost its arch and is shot?
Any thoughts by looking at the picture I'm attempting to attach?

Anyone have any general tips/advice on replacing the front spring beyond what is in the red Les Andrews book? I know they can be taken apart and re-worked, but I don't want to mess with that and I'm thinking of just getting a new one (looking at the higher end one at Synders for a bit over $200).

Also, what is the general consensus on these types of aftermarket shock setups that are on my car? Good/bad? They were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (59.8 KB, 425 views)
Johns30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: Front spring replacement advice

I followed the procedure laid out in the Les Andrews book and it worked out fine for me. Was pretty easy really.

I bought my front spring from Bert's.

Here is another source that I've read about and considered.

http://www.a-springs.com/products.html

I would say your spring is in worse shape than mine was, and mine was pretty bad...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
Gary WA

Shocks make a big difference,original style in good shape, but your spring needs help! Easy install! Never used that shock. buy rebuilt set! Shackles sitting on axle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Gary WA; 06-29-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
updraught

The shackles and bushes are stuffed.

stuffed Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

"No more for me thanks - I'm stuffed."
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Yes, I would agree they are "stuffed". Spring, bushings and possibly spring perches.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
WHN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You could be very surprised at how well a truly rebuilt Model A will drive and ride.

Correct good springs and shocks are very important.

I have never tried to rebuild what could be a ninety year old spring. I would replace with a correct one (USA made).

I also like using a quality original style shock.

If you decide to replace spring, take the time to check over the rest of your front end. All those different parts end up working together. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
fredski53

Looks like the spring to toast! Is the drag link rubbing on the tie rod? Might want to look into replacing the sleeves for the spring perch where the shackle bolt goes through. There is nothing wrong with the style of shocks you have.
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
Tacoma Bob

No sure if I see a cotter pin on the spring perch nut. Those nuts must be very tight.and cotter pinned. I ran tube shocks and finally got rid of the damn things. Looks like yours could be bottoming out because of the collapsed spring.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

I had the same problem with both my coupes! Eye of the spring sitting on the front axle. What tipped me off that there was something wrong was when she went into "Death Wobble"! Almost anything chassis related, Can cause "Death Wobble" I would get it at low speeds, in a gravel parking lot. when I would hit even a small bump. The steering wheel has a mind of it's own and it can't decide which way it wants to go. I replaced the shackle bushings and the shackles and Voila! No more "Death Wobble"!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns30 View Post
My Model A is in great shape overall, but it rides very rough. By that I mean every bump in the road makes a bang sound and I can almost feel it in the steering wheel. Granted, this is my first Model A so I don't have a point of reference for what it "should" feel like. I realize it won't ride like a new Lexus, but I'm guessing it needs some work.

The red Les Andrews books says the center of the front bumper to the ground should be 18.5". Mine is only 16.5". The book also says that there should be minimum 1/4" clearance between the bottom of the front spring eye and the top of the axle. Mine appears to be sitting on the front axle.
So, am I correct that the front spring has lost its arch and is shot?
Any thoughts by looking at the picture I'm attempting to attach?

Anyone have any general tips/advice on replacing the front spring beyond what is in the red Les Andrews book? I know they can be taken apart and re-worked, but I don't want to mess with that and I'm thinking of just getting a new one (looking at the higher end one at Synders for a bit over $200).

Also, what is the general consensus on these types of aftermarket shock setups that are on my car? Good/bad? They were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Spring looks bad! What I do note is there is a U bolt, appearing to hold in place a bottom mount for a tube shock. It sounds as though it is doing no good or the spring is so bad, the tube shock just can't do much to help. Follow the advice given by others on spring replacement, however if I were you and you can afford it, put in original type shocks. There are some cheaper alternatives that are worthy of consideration, involving MGB or MGA shocks. they have the same bolt centers for mounting are available used in good shape and need to be tinkered with a bit. Look up posts on MGA and MGB shocks. Lots of good reading to help make some $$$ choices.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Johns30

Thanks for all of the replies. This forum is the best! I'll start ordering some stuff and will try to remember to post back when done (could be a month or so before I get parts and get around to doing it)…
Old 07-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

John, As you are collecting parts, think about getting a front spring spreader. Unless you know someone who has one. Not too expensive and makes the job much easier and safer,
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #13
aermotor

Looking at the top of the shackle it looks like your perch is probably worn beyond rebushing.

With good bushings and bolts in the perch and spring, the shackle will not allow the spring to touch the axel even with the shackle in a vertical position so the spring, even though bad, has nothing to do with touching the axel.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 07-01-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added statement
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
kimlinh

I agree with aermotor. yes, your spring looks bad. Also your spring perch and shackles look worn. The shocks are doing nothing because the axle isn't moving.
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
Benson

Last edited by Benson; 08-07-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #16
J Franklin

For a little extra cushion I use a leather pad between the spring and crossmember. I punch a hole for the bolt head.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #17
Johns30

I'll see what the perches look like after I get things apart. If I have to replace the perches, this will be a lot bigger project than I bargained for!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #18
chap52

]I'll see what the perches look like after I get things apart. If I have to replace the perches, this will be a lot bigger project than I bargained for![/QUOTE

Ain't they all?
Enjoy the adventure, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #19
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns30 View Post
I'll see what the perches look like after I get things apart. If I have to replace the perches, this will be a lot bigger project than I bargained for!
I know it’s easy to spend someone else’s time and money, but!

If you have to replace the perches. I would drop the front end from car and completely tear it down. I would question the condition of other parts given what can be seen in picture.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #20
Kahuna

WHN is giving good advice
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote