Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Vern

Default Easy Off paint remover

I've had this Tourist Kitchenette for years, always meaning to clean it up & put it on the rear of the roadster, but the inside had old half stripped yellow paint all over. Last week on Fordbarn someone mentioned using Easy Off oven cleaner as a paint remover so I gave it a try. Wow, that stuff works. It took me 3 times to get in all the crannies, and a bit of wire brush work & blasts of water from the hose. Now for some simple metal repair & some new paint.

Last edited by Vern; 05-30-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Easy Off paint remover

My friend used a bottle of CocaCola on his mailbox. By next morning the paint had peeled. Now he is scared to drink it! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
coupe1942

I've used it before on an intake manifold with good results. I used a small wire brush to get at the crevices, but the oven cleaner product worked pretty well. You need to neutralize it or you can develop rust beneath a painted surface and have the paint bubbling up in places. Actually, I used this on a surface I had previously cleaned with a vinegar bath and then some Awsome, a product from the Dollar General. That part was downright nasty with grease, grime and debris prior to using all of this, but it turned out great, afterwards.

Good looking piece. Congrats on how well it cleaned up.

Here are some old photos of a Toyota manifold I had started cleaning with some Oven Cleaner and some Awsome. The black piece shown was a rubber piece on it. It only took a small bit of scrubbing with a small wire brush to remove all the junk in the crevices to that part. It started out mostly black with grease, grime and debris before the clean up process. It does not have to be Easy Off, as they make a grill and oven cleaner that is sold at the Dollar stores and it works every bit as good as Easy Off and is actually much cheaper per can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOTTOM SIDE.jpg (84.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg TOP SIDE.jpg (92.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg USING AWSOME.jpg (80.7 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 08-25-2016 at 12:27 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Cool Hand Lurker

Years ago I read an article in a car magazine about a shop that cleaned flathead V8 blocks by baking them in an old oven at 300º for several hours. That cleaned off all the dirt and grease and flipping them over and over on a piece of plywood shook loose the rust and scale.
Find an old electric kitchen oven that has the self-cleaning feature which heats everything up to 500º for a couple of hours and burns off all the spilt milk.
But be aware that plastics all melt at about 400º so you want to take everything possible off the block first.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

OK...Here is one for you speaking of "paint remover"...

I have a 1939 Bennett 371 gaspump and the outside skins are very nice.

It was originally painted red in 1939 then a round decal was put on. In the meantime someone else painted it red and painted over this old decal of what ever the gasoline was at the time.

Question...how can I remove the old red paint to bring out the luster of this old decal without screwing it up?

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
ctvpa

I have a tourist kitchenette if you need NOS photos. I have a hard time posting photos here, but you can email me at [email protected]
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
coupe1942

Pluck,

About 8-9 years back this was the best forum around for any questions at all regarding paint and auto body work. It had a major crash a few years back and lost all of the archived messages. I have not been to the site for a number of years, but you may ask your question there and find a good answer to it. I am not for sure if the site is run by the same people or not these days, but it may be a good source to at least ask and find out by someone who may have actually done something akin to what your asking about.

Good luck with it.

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5
Old 08-26-2016, 03:31 AM   #8
coupe1942

pm sent, Vern.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
captndan

The cheepo oven cleaner sold at the dollar stores works just as good. And for a buck it is my go to.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
The cheepo oven cleaner sold at the dollar stores works just as good. And for a buck it is my go to.
That's what I'm using right now to clean up an oil pan, and I used it to clean up the block several weeks ago. I was amazed at how well it removes paint and rust, as well as old grease and dirt accumulations.

Just be sure it contains sodium hydroxide.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Oven cleaner is very caustic! Be very, very careful and protect yourself with glasses, goggles, gloves and whatever else necessary. It will give a nasty burn. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
SeaSlugs

FYI, brake fluid will strip paint off chrome without harming the chrome one bit...
Old 08-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
springerpete

Remember, Sodium Hydroxide is a VERY strong base/ caustic substance and washing the residue with water to neutrality will take a long time. Use vinegar or lemon juice in quantity to neutralize the oven cleaner then lots of water. Wear gloves. If surface is still slippery, wash a lot more. If you are going to paint the thing, it needs to be neutral.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote