Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2023, 03:06 PM   #1
model a dan

Default Clutch hard to push

After installing a rebuilt 6 finger pressure plate and clutch from a reputable re builder it's very hard to push (60 lbs). I asked about adjusting finger height when perched and was told everything would be set, that is what they do. The finger height is 1.062 and I have set previous clutch jobs finger height to 5/8 inch with Les Andrews mechanics book. The force to push new clutch is 60 lbs, the previous was 30 I have checked a couple of local A's and they are 30 to 40 lbs, the Les Andrews mechanics book shows clutch foot petal pressure, 30 lbs. All the linkage is oiled in good shape with no binding. I haven't talked with re builder as they are closed for the long weekend. What is normal for a re built pressure plate? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231230_094953_edit.jpg (28.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20231230_095223_edit.jpg (47.4 KB, 29 views)
model a dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Clutch hard to push

Don't believe it when a supplier tells you a pressure plate is factory adjusted and you don't need to re-adjust it. I have had to re-adjusted any number of them.

You need to bolt it to a flywheel with the disc you are going to use to be able to tell if you got it right.

As far as the heavy spring pressure, that has to do with the springs they used.

I would send it back and get one from another supplier. You can also install the longer after-market release lever, but I don't think that will do much good.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...adjustment.pdf

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:18 PM   #3
model a dan

Tom, thanks for the information I will discuss the hard pedal with the builder after the long weekend.
model a dan
Old 01-01-2024, 02:47 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Dan:

For your clutch to work correctly the flywheel must be machined correctly. There is a step the pressure plate bolts to. The distance from the clutch surface on the flywheel is 1.123". Whenever a flywheel is resurfaced the same amount of material needs to be taken off the step in order to maintain the dimension. This is often ignored.

Tom Endy
Old 01-01-2024, 03:03 PM   #5
DJ S

Tom,

Do you know of anyone that supplies a rebuilt stock pressure plate with the proper spring pressure? I purchased a NEW pressure plate from a reputable supplier a few years ago and suffer from the same issue as above.

I have the opportunity to remedy this issue over the winter and would like to make it right.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:26 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
Tom,

Do you know of anyone that supplies a rebuilt stock pressure plate with the proper spring pressure? I purchased a NEW pressure plate from a reputable supplier a few years ago and suffer from the same issue as above.

I have the opportunity to remedy this issue over the winter and would like to make it right.

Give Sammy at Arizona Vintage a call, he might be able to help you.

480-782-0266

Tom Endy
Old 01-01-2024, 05:06 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

I got my clutch parts from Bratton's when I replaced it a couple of year ago. I did have to adjust the fingers tho. I used the tool that Bratton's sells. All works well.

One reason I chose to buy from Bratton's is they carry the "Good" disk with the encapsulated springs.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:36 AM   #8
BillCNC

How many miles are you guys getting out of a clutch?

I replaced mine 2 years ago and I think it's time for a replacement as it's just now starting to give a a little chatter every now and then. It has 9,500 miles on it.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:10 PM   #9
model a dan

Tom, my flywheel is in nice shape with a 1.127 step and .002 run out on flywheel. The very hard pedal pressure was discussed with the re builder and they assured me they are built with the correct springs and the finger height is correct. The gentleman claims he has rebuilt several hundred model a pressure plates and I am the only one that has complained and the linkage must be binding some how. I asked about the difference in finger height from a recommended 11/16 to what I have 1-1/16 from builder, was told it's set to proper build sheet.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:54 AM   #10
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post

I replaced mine 2 years ago and I think it's time for a replacement as it's just now starting to give a a little chatter every now and then. It has 9,500 miles on it.

Regards
Bill
You should expect another 70,000-100,000 miles from a good clutch and proper use of it.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 04:14 AM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:

Regards
Bill
I have about 70,000 miles on the clutch in my Phaeton and they are the kind of miles that are hard on a clutch - towing a trailer that weighs in at close to a ton. For the sort of mileage most of us do in our Model As, a clutch should be a once in a lifetime proposition, IMO.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:25 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:

Regards
Bill
I wouldn't think a clutch would start chattering as it wears out if everything was set up correctly when installed unless you got some oil or grease on it.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:17 AM   #13
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I wouldn't think a clutch would start chattering as it wears out if everything was set up correctly when installed unless you got some oil or grease on it.
I don't think so, but one never knows. It only happens when the car is wared up and only when starting off in first gear. It isn't consistent and only happens 1/8 of the time, but is getting more frequent as miles are being added.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote