Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #21
101Scout

Default Re: Advice needed for buying my roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I would also recommend looking closely at the roadsters…..and be sure that is what you want. They are very fun cars, and look great, but they are also a tight fit for many of us if you’re 6’ or taller. They are also basically open cars, so weather may be a concern, and, of course, you can’t really lock them up. I would try to ride in one and drive it first….just to be sure it’s right for you. We also don’t know your ability to work on one, and have tools. Some guys prefer to pay more and get a nice running car…..for others it is a great hobby and they really enjoy working on a project. Whatever you decide, best of luck, and for sure visit and drive, and if you are unfamiliar with Model A’s, try to bring along someone who knows what to look for.
Great advice, thank you. I'm pretty set on a roadster right now though there could be a sedan in the future as well, you never know. I think I'll fit fine being just 5 1/2' tall. I think it would be super fun to tool around in and maybe even do some weekend tours with the local Model A club (Sonora, CA). For less then beautiful weather I can cruise my '50 Buick, at least after I fix the cooling issue. I'm a competent hobby mechanic and I think I can probably handle whatever a Model A can throw at me short of rebuilding the motor. It's a pretty simple car so I think wrenching on it would be fun!
101Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:34 AM   #22
gdmn852

Hello , I have had a couple of roadsters through the years, they are nice cars but as mentioned in other post can be difficult to get in due to the small doors.Also get some Model A books if you don’t already have them for research.The 1930 31 have two roadster models,a standard and a deluxe.Standard have a top similar to the 28 9 models always black in color and also black interior, and often with a trunk instead of a rumble seat .The 1930 Deluxe has a 1 1/2 inch lower tan top brown interior and rumble seat. Also included was a single driver side mounted spare,cowl lights, and luggage rack.Being introduced mid year all deluxe model will have the round speedometer. Ford reduced the price on the 31 but discontinued the side mounted and luggage rack , still available at extra cost. The reason I wrote this text is because I see so many dealers misrepresented unauthentic”restored “cars “of course they might not even know themselves what is wrong with the car.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #23
101Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
Hello , I have had a couple of roadsters through the years, they are nice cars but as mentioned in other post can be difficult to get in due to the small doors.Also get some Model A books if you don’t already have them for research.The 1930 31 have two roadster models,a standard and a deluxe.Standard have a top similar to the 28 9 models always black in color and also black interior, and often with a trunk instead of a rumble seat .The 1930 Deluxe has a 1 1/2 inch lower tan top brown interior and rumble seat. Also included was a single driver side mounted spare,cowl lights, and luggage rack.Being introduced mid year all deluxe model will have the round speedometer. Ford reduced the price on the 31 but discontinued the side mounted and luggage rack , still available at extra cost. The reason I wrote this text is because I see so many dealers misrepresented unauthentic”restored “cars “of course they might not even know themselves what is wrong with the car.
Oh, wow, I had no idea about those model year and mid year changes. I've got some Model A restoration books but it looks like I need to do more research. Thank you for the post, that's very interesting info!
Old 01-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #24
37 Coupe

I plan to sell mine probably this spring. I don't know what I will be asking for sure but I do know for sure I have way too much in it to retrieve at $25,000. It has a brand new Berg's radiator in it as well as the brake drums in the rear are all new from the California guy who post on Fordbarn,Randy Moss. I did throw it out for sale on Facebook Market late last summer at $25,000 in a fishing expedition and was surprised that I had offers with the car unseen and every offer was from a dealer at $18,000,one was from here in Ohio and the rest were all European.All joking aside they were all legitimate buying on the American dollar to sell to a market in France ,Germany Belgium and the Netherlands. All of them advertise for '30-'31 Deluxe Roadsters only,again every offer was at $18,000.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #25
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I plan to sell mine probably this spring. I don't know what I will be asking for sure but I do know for sure I have way too much in it to retrieve at $25,000. It has a brand new Berg's radiator in it as well as the brake drums in the rear are all new from the California guy who post on Fordbarn,Randy Moss. I did throw it out for sale on Facebook Market late last summer at $25,000 in a fishing expedition and was surprised that I had offers with the car unseen and every offer was from a dealer at $18,000,one was from here in Ohio and the rest were all European.All joking aside they were all legitimate buying on the American dollar to sell to a market in France ,Germany Belgium and the Netherlands. All of them advertise for '30-'31 Deluxe Roadsters only,again every offer was at $18,000.
Hopefully picture will show up this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130737.jpg (111.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #26
gdmn852

Close twin to mine!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCDA0D41-007F-4092-8BE5-534040B015DF.jpg (110.3 KB, 37 views)
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #27
Anteek29

Here is the Coupe version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alan & 29 in SM2.jpg (84.1 KB, 28 views)
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #28
Jim M

I LOVE my 29 Roadster. REAL barn find (by my beloved Uncle) in WV. I paid 8500 for it and have probably put that much back in over the last 15 years. But it is all original, except for the top and upholstery which the mice had eaten up in the 20+ years in the barn. I love to go riding along the back woods roads here in Florida. Lots of sun and flat roads. Prices are all over the place now, so it comes down to how much you can spend and how bad you want one. Also the biggest question to me is how much work YOU want to put into it. I have loved every minute of working on it and still do. Others just want to buy it and drive it. What ever you decide you can't go wrong because you can always probably sell it for what you have into it at any point. They aren't making them any more and unfortunately they are getting fewer and fewer as many of them end up being sold as parts. Hope this helps a little. Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #29
101Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Hopefully picture will show up this time.
That's a gorgeous car! At $18k those dealers must be factoring in shipping costs and markup for profit. I don't know what cars sell for in Europe but it must be pretty high. $18k seems like a great deal on such a beautiful car.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #30
101Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
Close twin to mine!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
Here is the Coupe version.

Even more beauties!

Last edited by 101Scout; 01-21-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #31
101Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
I LOVE my 29 Roadster. REAL barn find (by my beloved Uncle) in WV. I paid 8500 for it and have probably put that much back in over the last 15 years. But it is all original, except for the top and upholstery which the mice had eaten up in the 20+ years in the barn. I love to go riding along the back woods roads here in Florida. Lots of sun and flat roads. Prices are all over the place now, so it comes down to how much you can spend and how bad you want one. Also the biggest question to me is how much work YOU want to put into it. I have loved every minute of working on it and still do. Others just want to buy it and drive it. What ever you decide you can't go wrong because you can always probably sell it for what you have into it at any point. They aren't making them any more and unfortunately they are getting fewer and fewer as many of them end up being sold as parts. Hope this helps a little. Jim
If that's the car in your avatar it is a beauty! I love to tinker which is part of what appeals to me about the Model A. Pretty accessible for working on and great styling and from everything I've read if they are well maintained they are very reliable. Great cars, I love them. Hopefully I'll love them even more after I have one that's on the road.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #32
101Scout

This seems like a good deal:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308996

A T roadster could be fun. What do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #33
PeteCruz2715

I have a '28 Roadster and while I love the car, I actually prefer the '30-'31's. Not only are they a little bigger inside, the windshield stantions are a bit nicer. Overall just a bit more "elegant" car. IMHO.
PeteCruz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #34
101Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCruz2715 View Post
I have a '28 Roadster and while I love the car, I actually prefer the '30-'31's. Not only are they a little bigger inside, the windshield stantions are a bit nicer. Overall just a bit more "elegant" car. IMHO.
That's definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #35
Conaway2

I’ve had my ‘31 Deluxe Roadster since 1988 and enjoy it quite a bit.

As has been pointed out, they are small cars, so sit in one before you buy. Also, check the door jambs for scraped paint and other signs of mis-aligned doors. Almost every roadster I’ve seen has door alignment issues. Model A frames tended to sag after 90+ years at the rear motor mounts…

Also, be prepared for little to no storage space for tools and spare parts, as well as extra coolant and oil. I installed a luggage rack and trunk on my car since I tour a lot with our local club.

Even though I live in a fairly temperate part of the country, it’s too cold for me to drive the car more than just a few miles in December and January. I have side curtains, visibility is odor with them installed, so it’s always breezy.

Good luck in your search - JIm
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:14 PM   #36
CWPASADENA

I am 5'8" and have a '31 Deluxe Roadster that I fit just fine. I also have small feet which helps with getting in and out of it. I think a 30-31 Roadster is one of the best looking of all the Model A's but understand, this is just my opinion.

I also have a 30 Tudor I use for long distance touring and a Vicky that is my "around the town" Model A.

Large people have a tougher time with a roadster.

Recently, I have seen for sale several, what appears to me to be, very nice roadsters that are ready to drive in the 20-25K price range. You can eat up a lot of money in a big hurry with a car that needs a lot of work.

Keep looking, one will crop up in your area that will be the right car for you.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:55 PM   #37
daveymc29

I used to be just short of 6 feet tall but with short legs and a long body. A friend was moving close to me and lived a couple of hours distance away. I drove her car, a very nicely restored 31 Roadster to her new home and swore I would never own a De Luxe 31 as my back and neck were killing me. I had to duck to not be staring at the top bar of the windshield all the way home, with top up. I have a 29 that is just right and a pleasure to drive. I prefer to keep the top up unless it's a short drive or parade as the heat is bad in the daytime (summer) and wind and noise seem less with the top up. Just more reasons to take your time and buy a car that fits your body, don't make your body fit the car, especially if you plan to drive over a few hours per day. Also, if you plan on touring get a car with an overdrive, Mitchell is probably the best though I prefer the Laycock. One switch and no levers to shift it. You can hide the switch and most will never know. Mine has a Mitchell and it has never failed me in twenty some years. I do also have a Borg Warner and have in the past had a couple of the Laycock (Volvo) and find they all work well if constructed right and installed carefully. No problems with any really, some had a drip leak at the banjo. I also use a Ford pickup steering box with a short pitman arm, made that way, not shortened original. Steers like power steering and comes back to atraight ahead after a turn. Cast iron Brake drums are a plus, as are Hydraulic brakes, but don't argue this with a purist.

Dave Mc Arthur, jmho
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:29 AM   #38
101Scout

Thanks for all the great advice guys! It will likely take me a while to find the right car but I'll keep looking. I like the idea of the overdrive, I'm going to look into the Laycock one.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:10 PM   #39
daveymc29

Check out the guy in or near Bakersfield. I bought two from him and they worked out great. Rick Little may be his name. Does good work, been years ago but I believe he.s still at it. Also does the Brog Warner, I believe.
Dave
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #40
Gil Sissons

Scout I have sent you a PM

Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote