Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Gerard

Thumbs down attack to my ..cont'

to my nerve system. Send of for repair to a well known shock re builder 4 shocks. Had to wait for approx 7 weeks ok with that, paid my import duty's and mounted them , 3 are ok the fourth made a noise and having a steel to steel grinding sound and was binding. Opened the filler plug Eh ? no oil. hm put oil in it no change. Took it from the chassis, Called the re builder . His Answer " that's' strange" maybe I got a telephone call while working on it or something . Gerard send it back I make good . So it happened paid duty's again now to the US customs because they considerate that it was a commercial good ( US 10) Mailed the shock to the re builder ( 22, -- US ) At a certain time I was wondering why it took so long to get it back again . I called the re builder : .. eh , oh well we had a few broken pipes and ........ had to wait approx 4 weeks before I got the thing back again. . Paid import duty's again ( 14,--cad ) I put them on the car , and checked the working,
Exactly the same issue as before , binding and grinding, Hm, lets open the filler plug ..what do you think ???? NO OIL again.
I was close to exploding but that wont help. Will I call him again NO, Will I refer somebody to him / NO NO.

Maybe the mishap has something to do with re builders age I don't know.
I wont reveal the re builders name , to many tricky lawyers in the USA. ( and Canada )

END GOOD ALL GOOD see my post below

Last edited by Gerard; 03-10-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: text
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: attack to my ..cont'

Just curious, why is there duty on items that are just being transfered across border for repair/return, and not a purchase or sale? That does not make sense to me. I thought duty was on value being imported or exported.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Gerard

I complaint also but there is a newbee here at Porthill ( both side's ) and they play there status . As I cross the border at least 3 times a week ( buying beer and fuel ) I prefer to stay friends with those border patrol guy's. I know now what to declare and what not.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Glenn C.

Some of the repo shocks do not have fluid in the outer compartment. I have a repo shock here that has no oil hole drilled between the compartments. Could not figure out why, when I added fluid to the shock, the fluid would leak out around the threaded cover and shaft, until taking it apart for inspection. Whether this is the same for all the repo shocks or not, I don't know.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
to my nerve system. Send of for repair to a well known shock re builder 4 shocks. Had to wait for approx 7 weeks ok with that, paid my import duty's and mounted them , 3 are ok the fourth made a noise and having a steel to steel grinding sound and was binding. Opened the filler plug Eh ? no oil. hm put oil in it no change. Took it from the chassis, Called the re builder . His Answer " that's' strange" maybe I got a telephone call while working on it or something . Gerard send it back I make good . So it happened paid duty's again now to the US customs because they considerate that it was a commercial good ( US 10) Mailed the shock to the re builder ( 22, -- US ) At a certain time I was wondering why it took so long to get it back again . I called the re builder : .. eh , oh well we had a few broken pipes and ........ had to wait approx 4 weeks before I got the thing back again. . Paid import duty's again ( 14,--cad ) I put them on the car , and checked the working,
Exactly the same issue as before , binding and grinding, Hm, lets open the filler plug ..what do you think ???? NO OIL again.
I was close to exploding but that wont help. Will I call him again NO, Will I refer somebody to him / NO NO.

Maybe the mishap has something to do with re builders age I don't know.
I wont reveal the re builders name , to many tricky lawyers in the USA. ( and Canada )
I don't know if this is considered black mail or not but maybe if you contact him one more time and have him pay all the duties in and out of Canada or you will tell the story to us again using his name.

He could not win a case if you are simply telling the truth about what happened to you.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Gerard

He is fully aware at the time I write this. no reply so far. Blackmail ?? no way. Why should I go back and listen to a excuse for the second time. People ( me included ) make mistakes and I am always more then willing to give somebody a second chance, but if somebody screw's up for the second time ????. I will post a picture from the subject later and let me know what you see.

Picture added

Last edited by Gerard; 03-14-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Gerard

another picture

Last edited by Gerard; 03-10-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: picture
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Ray64

Dont know all the ins and outs of crossing the border.So if you cross why cant you just mail it from U.S.A.?Get it back somewhere ,take it out of the box,throw it in the trunk as a extra part and go on home.Just wandering thats all.I know it must be frustrating but just thought i would try to give you an option.J.M.H.O. RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Gerard

All wonders off the world happened .

The re builder called me and offered me at no cost another shock free off charge .

Perfect: I am happily awaiting ( 14 day's ) a newly rebuilt shock.

Dunno if my postings had anything to do with it .
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray64 View Post
Dont know all the ins and outs of crossing the border.So if you cross why cant you just mail it from U.S.A.?Get it back somewhere ,take it out of the box,throw it in the trunk as a extra part and go on home.Just wandering thats all.I know it must be frustrating but just thought i would try to give you an option.J.M.H.O. RAY
I am allready doing that, I have a mailbox in the USA ( live on the border my property borders the USA )
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Gerard: I hope the one coming is OK. I can feel your frustation. I would have been all over the guy.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
Ron in Quincy

Where does the shock builder live, east or west of the Rockies ?

Just curious, thanks,

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Gerard

OK Guy's the re builder wants to make good And I give him that opportunity.

Lets leave it with that and discussion closed