Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
OLD AS I

Default '46 V8 Ignition vacuum line

2 PART QUESTION, first ............ During reass'y of my engine rebuild I've missed placed the bolt used in the banjo end that attaches to the top ledge of the intake manifold, at the base of the carb, both intake and carb are stock '46 pieces.
Trying to source out the bolt I found that the steel vacuum line its self is sold out at suppliers and no one is reproducing it and the bolt was never been reproduced.
Attached Ive made a sketch of what I think the bolt should be. If you have one of these bolts could you verify my dimensions or it you have a '46 could you remove the bolt and compare my dimensions.
In exchange for verifying my dimensions with the actual bolt Im willing to provide the person with 2 bolts mailed no-charge to you as spares for you.
second .......... Pictures that I took at the time I took the engine apart and stored on computer got lost during a computer crash so dont have anything. Am thinking the vacuum source for the windshield wipers should come off this same point at the top of the intake manifold, base of carb, is this not right ??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Banjo bolt.pdf (266.6 KB, 79 views)
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Ball and Chain

Default Re: '46 V8 Ignition vacuum line

heres my post:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178987
Old 02-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasi View Post
2 PART QUESTION, first ............ During reass'y of my engine rebuild I've missed placed the bolt used in the banjo end that attaches to the top ledge of the intake manifold, at the base of the carb, both intake and carb are stock '46 pieces.
Trying to source out the bolt I found that the steel vacuum line its self is sold out at suppliers and no one is reproducing it and the bolt was never been reproduced.
Attached Ive made a sketch of what I think the bolt should be. If you have one of these bolts could you verify my dimensions or it you have a '46 could you remove the bolt and compare my dimensions.
In exchange for verifying my dimensions with the actual bolt Im willing to provide the person with 2 bolts mailed no-charge to you as spares for you.
second .......... Pictures that I took at the time I took the engine apart and stored on computer got lost during a computer crash so dont have anything. Am thinking the vacuum source for the windshield wipers should come off this same point at the top of the intake manifold, base of carb, is this not right ??
A bolt does not go there. Rather, a vacuum fitting goes there. It allows for the attachment of the wiper motor tube (hose). I probably have one if you are interested. PM me is so desired.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
CarlG

I bought a banjo bolt like the one you drew a picture of, just can't remember where. I think what I did was to google "banjo fitting", clicked on images and just scrolled thru them till I found a picture that looked like what I wanted. (like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steel-banjo-bolt-501-1369157277.jpg (12.5 KB, 2 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
flatheadmurre

If you need a banjobolt they are available at hydraulic suppliers...thread is same as for a JIC hydraulic connection.
But as stated above its a more complex fitting made from diecast and sheetmetal original.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
GaryU.

This is what you are after, if Kube has one you you will be all set. Was cleaning up my store room a week ago and found this one so thought a picture will help to identify the proper part for everyone. Gary

P.S. Sorry about the dog hair on carpet, new pet for last month, a big change for the family.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
OLD AS I

This site is absolutely amazing, thanks GaryU, yes, am talking with Kube, thanks again. Wondering exactly what it does, am sure I didn't remove one of those gizmos but my wipers did work so there had to be something in there, have the steel vac line and its shape connects to the timing cover and meets the intake base ?? Having lost all my pictures really sucks, I now back up everything on a removable stick and even copy it to a 2nd one, thanks again.
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
Drbrown

My '47 has what GaryU shows .... the metal ring with the steel tube attached. My metal ring fitting has a thin soft compressible brass washer each side of the ring to make it air-tight. I had to re-solder my tube connection because the solder had fractured from too much bending.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote