Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
em1davis

Default '47 Axle Key install location

I know I need to clean up the grease and such but which is the correct install location, closer to threads or further from threads?

The reason I ask is when I install the hub and torque down on the axle nut it pushes the wheel hub up against the backing plate so the wheel hub no longer spins.

I'm almost there I think...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160220_102733.jpg (49.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20160220_113846.jpg (51.2 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by em1davis; 02-20-2016 at 01:52 PM.
em1davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: '47 Axle Key install location

Did you mean to say that when you tighten the nut, that it pushes the DRUM up against the backing plate?

The axle key actually has nothing to do with the amount of contact the hub makes with the axle, nor how far the hub slides onto the axle taper. The inside taper of the hub, AND the shape of the taper on the axle dictate where (inboard / outboard) the hub SHOULD sit on the axle. In fact, you SHOULD be able to mount the hub on the axle WITHOUT the key.......and it would not alter the hub's location, as opposed to mounting WITH the key.

Your pictures are not the clearest, but they both show enough clarity to suggest that the taper on your axle is damaged, and that would certainly be a viable reason for your resultant symptom. There MAY also be damage to the taper inside your hub. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Kube

You are attempting to install the key correctly. Moving forward would indicate it (key) is not the proper size or perhaps there is damage to the slot and / or the slot within the hub. I agree with V8COOPMAN that your axle looks well, less than desirable.

I would suggest you attempt to fit the drum / hub to the axle without a key. If it goes on properly, you most definitely have an issue with the key and or mating slot(s).

You suggest the hub is going on too far... I doubt that is the case. It appears that the key is being pushed inward too far and thus preventing the axle from turning. That key should stay in the (near) position you show in the first photograph.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
em1davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You are attempting to install the key correctly. Moving forward would indicate it (key) is not the proper size or perhaps there is damage to the slot and / or the slot within the hub. I agree with V8COOPMAN that your axle looks well, less than desirable.

I would suggest you attempt to fit the drum / hub to the axle without a key. If it goes on properly, you most definitely have an issue with the key and or mating slot(s).

You suggest the hub is going on too far... I doubt that is the case. It appears that the key is being pushed inward too far and thus preventing the axle from turning. That key should stay in the (near) position you show in the first photograph.
So I'm using a new wheel hub that does not have the drum mounted to it, like the original design.
(http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordp...umber=01A-1105)
I figured out that it isn't hitting the backing plate but the inside portion of the wheel hub where the bearing is contained is pushed up to push against the portion that the bearing rolls on. I was hoping that the key would help control how far back it went, but apparently not. (The 2nd picture is from me moving the key, it's not sliding around)

My first thought was that the wheel hub where the bearing resides was longer than the hub that was on there, but it is the same. I guess it could be that the tapered portion of the wheel hub that goes on the axle is just a tad bigger allowing it to sit further on the axle and press against the back plate.

The same problem exist if I don't have the key installed, I use my original hub without the key it doesn't show the same problem.

Last edited by em1davis; 02-20-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Kube makes some valid points above. That KEY just does NOT look "right"! Is it actually SQUARE in cross-section? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
em1davis

So here is a picture of my key and the hub
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160220_150630.jpg (59.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20160220_151126.jpg (32.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20160220_151135.jpg (32.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20160220_151141.jpg (31.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
em1davis

Here is what I have determined it touching... The wheel hub pressing against the part where the bearing should be rolling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-02-20 15_29_33-Presentation1 - PowerPoint.jpg (60.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Planojc

Try a axle shim.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Henry/Kokomo

Form the picture in post #6, it appears that your key is fairly worn and that there has been movement between the hub and the axle . . . which shouldn't exist. Maybe that's why you're changing hubs? In any case, I'd replace the key while I had it apart.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
motordr

Quote:
Originally Posted by em1davis View Post
Here is what I have determined it touching... The wheel hub pressing against the part where the bearing should be rolling.
A friend had the same issue with his new hub, I think he removed some metal from inside the new hub until he had adequate clearance and no more interference or rubbing. I would not use an axle shim if possible.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
19Fordy

If you switch the drum/hub from the other side of the car do you still have this problem? It would be interesting to see if the hub you bought does not fit the other side of the car too. I bought hubs from http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Brakes.html and they fit. Who made your replacement hub?

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-21-2016 at 03:35 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

IF, in fact, this is a REPRODUCTION hub as listed in your link, and IF it is TRUE that it actually is dimensioned INCORRECTLY, so that it rubs the end of the bearing surface as you surmise, then I'll ask the question again.......WHY CAN'T THE REPRO FOLKS BUILD STUFF THAT FITS? This thing lists at $225!

Where are ALL the guys NOW that usually want to kiss the repro guys butts for at least making parts that ALMOST fit? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE