Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
ebruns1

Default '46 Tonner lug nuts? Am I nuts?

So, if I understand correctly the 46 tonners had a custom lug nut but they are threaded (3/4 x 16) the same as the ones that MAC's carries. Wouldn't the MAC's ones still work even though the outer lug size (1 1/2") is bigger than the 1 1/8" originals? I can live with a mis-matched lug nut. Is the bevel against the rim different? Why wouldn't they work? What am I missing....
ebruns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
willowbilly3

Default Re: '46 Tonner lug nuts? Am I nuts?

As long as the cone is the same taper, why wouldn't they?
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
MGG

Depending on how important it is to you to have all the nuts be the same and on how much you want to spend, if it were mine and I could not find the correct nut, I would investigate having one of the larger nuts machined to the same size and bevel.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Bob C

I think you will find the bevel is different. I think the bolt holes in your rims are
just slightly larger than the lug bolt, the holes in the wheels that the Lug nuts you are looking at from Macs are 1 1/4", way bigger than the stud.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64-32001.jpg (82.7 KB, 0 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGG View Post
Depending on how important it is to you to have all the nuts be the same and on how much you want to spend, if it were mine and I could not find the correct nut, I would investigate having one of the larger nuts machined to the same size and bevel.
The lug nuts are covered by a hubcap. As long as they are functional appearance isn't critical IMO.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
truckdog62563

I spent some research time looking through my wheel references with no answer on this. That said, I've never come across mention in references indicating that there were different Budd Company "ball seat" contours. The lug nuts are not like the 60° or 90° nuts used on other wheels. The seats in these Budd Company wheels are cupped allowing the ball shaped curve of the nuts to center and seat the wheel. As said, the outer dimensions of the different nuts is immaterial since they are both 3/4" x 16 tpi. Stu

Last edited by truckdog62563; 02-21-2016 at 08:10 PM.
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #7
ebruns1

This is great info fellas...where else could you learn so much about lug nuts haha! Since the hub should be taking all the weight of the wheel I'm not concerned if they don't match. It would be nice if they did, but as long as they do the job I'll be OK with that. Bob gave me a great lead to try. If it doesn't pan out I will order one from MACs for a comparison test and let you know if the cone has any variation from original tonner lug nuts. If there's any other ideas out there I'm all ears...
Thanks!
Jim
ebruns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruns1 View Post
This is great info fellas...where else could you learn so much about lug nuts haha! Since the hub should be taking all the weight of the wheel I'm not concerned if they don't match. It would be nice if they did, but as long as they do the job I'll be OK with that. Bob gave me a great lead to try. If it doesn't pan out I will order one from MACs for a comparison test and let you know if the cone has any variation from original tonner lug nuts. If there's any other ideas out there I'm all ears...
Thanks!
Jim
Show the one you need to a big truck tire repairman, he will probally give some to you.
Bruce
Old 02-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #9
GB SISSON

I have a tonner axle that was trashed on one side but I think it had the nuts. Which side do you need, the rh or lh threads? I just might have the ones you need. I have 3 tonners and 2 trailers with tonner axles.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
itslow

Whether you go with the "correct" design or not, I'd buy enough to make them match at all 4 corners in order to avoid the need to have to use two different size sockets.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote