Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
roccaas

Default I need/want an air compressor.

I've never bought more than a tire filler, but would like to be able to:

• Regular household uses
  • Blow dry parts
  • Fill Tires
  • Eventually buy/run some air tools like wrenches and cutters
  • Maybe run a soda blaster
  • Eventually prime/paint cars.
I don't want, and can't waste the space on a compressor that looks like the robot from "Lost in Space", so what smaller compressors would do the trick? Wall mounted or portable are a plus because my garage is really a small Carriage House from 1920!

Any specifics I should look for? Pancake? Pressure? Volume? Features?

Any particularly good brands as far a value for the buck?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: I need/want an air compressor.

Your not going to get much out of these small AC. Youl work them to death [fast] with what you want to do. get at least a 60 gal uprite 5 hp. ken ct been there done that.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
wrndln

Ken is correct. Small compressors wont cut it. To run air tools, like Ken said, you need at least a 60 gal tank and low amp 5 HP. I have a high amp 5 HP 80 gal tank compressor and it barely keeps up with some air tools demand.
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Check with the manufacturers of the air tools and the soda blaster to get requirements for CFM and pressure. These two are probably the biggest users and will push you to the one that looks like the robot from "Lost in Space". Can you build a small outside dog house next to the garage to put it in?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Ron Kansas

Everything said is true, but may I suggest an alternative. I faced the same issue, had a 3 HP unit and wanted to paint and run air tools. Thought about it and realized that while I needed a lot of air, for the most part only needed it for a short time. Went to a propane dealer and asked for two 100 pound tanks that were no longer suitable for propane. Took the tanks, mounted them head to head in the rafters on their side. Plumbed the small compressor into the tanks so that I had the 20 gallons of air in the compressor plus the two big propane tanks. Sure, it took half an hour to pump up the tanks, but I could paint long enough to use a paint gun full of paint, and while I was refilling, the little compressor caught up. Worked for me.

Ron Kansas
Ron Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
tom/illinois

Volume, volume, volume can't say enough for it, and for quicker recovery you need a decent size pump. You'll regret buying too small. Been there done that.
tom/illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
glenn in camino

I have a 5hp with an 80 gal tank. So far it's done everything I've needed. I bought it at a tool store for $1000.00.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

Some real good tips here! Another one: DO NOT buy an oil-less compressor! They are noisy, inefficient and wear out way too quickly! Compressors build a lot of heat so the cheaper ones (esp. oil-less) need "off" time to cool down. Continuous use shortens their life.
Also, if you go the propane tank route as mentioned, do not put the tanks on their side! You need to drain them regularly so mount them with a drain valve at the lowest point or they will eventually fill up with water which will get in your air lines at the most inconvenient time plus will rust out the tank.
Putting the compressor outside your garage in a 'doghouse' is a good idea. You can get mufflers to put on the air intake to keep the neighbors happy. Check Grainger's catalog, etc. Don't forget ventilation, maybe even a small exhaust fan or the compressor could overheat with extended use.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
dave in australia

I have three compressors, a small home brand 7cfm for tyres and doing my models, a 12cfm sturdy Austalian McMillan for general shed duties and a diesel powered 42cfm with a 200ltr tank for when the whole afternoon sandblasting or other longtime use situations. The 12 just keeps up with spraying a car, it runs about 50% of the time, but does not keep up at all with sandblasting. IWith compressors there's no one size fits all which is why I have three.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Ron Kansas

Re the propane tanks on side, I drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT and put a valve in to drain the condensate. The side of the propane tanks is thick enough to allow for the drill and tap without welding a bushing in.
Ron Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
1929closed cab

I have a 7hp Ingersol Rand upright...and when I blasting or running air tools it keeps up with them...bought it from a IR Dealer here in town...the guy that bought it, turn it back in after about 20hrs of use $700.00 I've had it for 6 years one of the best tool's I ever bought!!!...I can sand blast and even run a DA...spend the money...and enjoy the hobby!
1929closed cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #12
Frank Miller

You will see single stage and dual stage. If you can buy the dual stage. IR 5hp dual stage is in my garage and works well even with the blast cabinet. I think it is the most air for the money.
Frank Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kansas View Post
Re the propane tanks on side, I drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT and put a valve in to drain the condensate. The side of the propane tanks is thick enough to allow for the drill and tap without welding a bushing in.
My friend used an old propane tank for his air compressor. Years later, you could still smell the odor used with propane.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
You will see single stage and dual stage. If you can buy the dual stage. IR 5hp dual stage is in my garage and works well even with the blast cabinet. I think it is the most air for the money.
I agree. I've worn out enough smaller 2 cylinder single stage compressors that I could have bought a very nice 2 stage good upright compressor years ago.

How much does it cost to save money???????????
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
john in illinois

I have a 5hp Quincy 2 stage vertical tank.(small footprint) I have never run out of air even when bead blasting. As mentioned it is a slow running compressor and will last. I have had it 20 or so years and only changed oil and air filters. Harbor freight or Northern tool is where I bought it on sale. It was drop shipped from the factory.

Buy a good one and it will pay you back for a long time.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Big D

A lot of good advice.... Oiled, 2 Stage, with large storage... All good ideas. Given the area you live in, one thing completely left out was a good filter (for the extra water in the air) and depending on how much you will use tools a good inline oiler. You will want to have a "clean" air line to run painting items and if you find a small dryer worth the money for painting. I have a 6 HP, 60 gal and other than sand blasting does anything I want from Plasma Cutting to air tools and others... most newer LPHV paint guns are working on less pressure and volume. Good advice to go large and not waste your money.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #17
A-Jay

Roccaas, I had the same idea after I built a new garage, after shopping around the Web and Sears and others. The compressor got bigger and bigger and whent from 120 volt to 240 volt. I gave up, bought a small B&D 12volt/120 AC for the tires and also new ratchets and extensions and started turning wenches the old way. Check out these sites they help you decide how big, how much you need and cost. Good luck!

http://www.everyaircompressor.com/

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #18
Kurt in NJ

I have used the propane tank setup, it took a long time for the propane smell to go away even though I washed out the tanks first.

the first compressor was 1/2 hp with very old Kellog pump, 1/2 hp was all the electric circuit could handle and still keep the lights on, then I got a larger 3 phase compressor, converted it to battery operation with a golf cart motor(2hp), let the charger run at night--12 golf cart batterys, 36V.

If you want to run most any air operated tool for longer than a few min you should have a real compressor (5hp 220v 2 stage, 60-80 gal tank)

If you want pressures under 100-120 lbs a single stage is ok.

When I was visiting China I looked in many garages, one place had a big tank, and a hand tire pump, when he was not fixing a tire he was pumping air.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
Tom Endy

I have a Quincy 2-stage verticle compressor set-up with an 80 gallon tank I bought 20 years ago from TP tools, located in Canfield, MO. They are a catalog sales company. I also bought a bead blaster from them at the same time as a package deal. Both have been used almost daily ever since. They have an excellent customer service department. A bead blaster requires constant maineneance and I have ordered parts from them many times. The compresson has required very little attention.

TP Tools offers a number of package deals including free shipping on some items.
www.tptools.com or 1-800-321-9260

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
Lycoming-8

Shop compressor is a two stage, 5-hp, 220v, 3-phase Quincy installed in about 1950 by the US Air Force. Was primarily used by USAF to operate the air over oil twin I-beam style 'grease rack', but it is really more than adequate for any and all tasks that have been thrown at it.

As many before have stated BIG is better. By the way the tank is about 120 gal and is mounted up near the ceiling and out of the way, even when lifting a fairly long car. Only downside of tank location is inconvenient reach to drain condensate.
Lycoming-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming-8 View Post
Shop compressor is a two stage, 5-hp, 220v, 3-phase Quincy installed in about 1950 by the US Air Force. Was primarily used by USAF to operate the air over oil twin I-beam style 'grease rack', but it is really more than adequate for any and all tasks that have been thrown at it.

As many before have stated BIG is better. By the way the tank is about 120 gal and is mounted up near the ceiling and out of the way, even when lifting a fairly long car. Only downside of tank location is inconvenient reach to drain condensate.
I would install an automatic drain. I bought one from H/F for my twin single stage air compressor, but the plastic line only lasted a few minutes, so you'll want to buy a metal line right away.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
Uncle Bob

There's all manner of terminology to learn to buy what's "best" for your use. I learned what I know when I had my body shop and had to figure out what I wanted to get to actually do what was necessary. Like so many things, numbers games are played that appeal to peoples lack of understanding.

Above someone started their commentary with volume, volume, volume. That person is knowledgable. Tank volume and compressor volume output are two different things. Large storage is fine, but not a substitute for pump volume. Too many folks focus on pressure. If you look at the tools the typical home "mechanic" uses they're almost always rated for 125 psi max (yeah there's a rare exception or two), then followed by their cfm consumption numbers. It's cfm (cubic feet per minute) that's important for shop tools. Most folks end up regulating pressure down, so why focus on getting a two stage compressor that can do 175 psi? Forget that, if a two stage is a good buy and puts out something around 20 cfm at 100 psi, that's fine, but if a single stage will do that kind of cfm that's fine too.....plus it will generate less heat and perhaps less water. Volume will come in handy when you run a blast cabinet, or a grinder, or any other tool that gobbles big chunks of air (read the spec sheets on the individual tools to see that number). If you do any painting and use an hvlp gun, the hv means high volume, the lp, low pressure (yet another strike against 175 psi as the primary focus).

I'm not advocating for this company even though I bought my home shop unit from them, but if you read through some of their commentary you'll learn some things about hp rating, cfm, and so on: http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

Learning will save you money in the long run.