Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
woodiewagon46

Default '46 windshield glass

I have to replace the drivers side windshield on my '46 Ford. Anyone know if I can replace this section without removing the passenger side of the windshield?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: '46 windshield glass

The search function is your friend.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49561
and
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...-40-46_pg1.htm
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
supereal

You will have to remove the windshield as a unit. Cut away he inside of the gasket and push the assembly outward while a helper catches it. Remove glass from the old gasket and reassemble it in the new one. Place a strong cord in the groove around the outside of the gasket and lubricate the exterior of the gasket with a liquid dish soap. I prefer Ivory. Set the assembly into the body starting at the bottom. while a helper presses the assembly from the outside, work the gasket over the edge of the opening as you pull on the cord. If you need to pull on the gasket to get it all in place, we use a tool made from an old screwdriver with the end bent into a "L". Be careful not to bear the tool on the glass itself to reduce the chance of breakage. If there is any bright work around your windshield, insert it beginning at one end until it is all in place. After the gasket has been in place long enough for the soap to dry, get a tube of windshield sealer, such as 3M, and while pulling the outside of the gasket away from the body, place the sealer into the groove. Use a small amount. We protect the body around the windshield with masking tape, as some sealer is likely to escape as you push the edge of the gasket back against the body. The tape will lift off with the excess sealer so you don't have to use a solvent on the paint. The whole process is easier than you may think if you take your time and have a good helper (wives usually don't qualify).
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
waterboychuck

I just replaced the windshield glass in my 46. I would recommend that you replace both sides since you're already there. I purchased my glass from Sanders and it fit like a glove and my new gasket came from Carpenter. My girlfriend helped with the install and it was her first time but we got her done.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
redmodelt

You might think about replacing both sides. Clear glass isn't really clear and if this is a restored car you might end up with two different shades of glass.