Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default '47 Exhaust pipe and crossover pipe source?

Been calling around and haven't found a supplier that has the head pipes for the 59ab in my pickup/woodie. Seems the supplier went out of business??? Anybody know who to call? Thanks.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Cecil/WV

Default Re: '47 Exhaust pipe and crossover pipe source?

I got both pipes from Macs. I had to take the crossover pipe tp a muffler shop and have it expanded just a slight bit and all fit fine. The only thing was that the flanges are a bit to big on the out side and I ground them down some.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Been calling around and haven't found a supplier that has the head pipes for the 59ab in my pickup/woodie. Seems the supplier went out of business??? Anybody know who to call? Thanks.
Try Joe's Antique Auto in Mass.
www.joesantiqueauto.com

CROSS OVER PIPES
59C-5267 V8, pickup .................................... 42-53 33.00 ea
Address: 267 Hartford Ave W, Uxbridge, MA 01569

Phone: (508) 278-3980

Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
38bill

What all are you looking for? I believe that I still have the exhaust manifolds and cross over pipe that I removed from my 59AB when I changed to dual exhaust.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
GB SISSON

Thanks all! I will follow up on all leads.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Followed up on all the leads and tons more. Seems the supplier who made them went out of business. Most places have them listed still, but none in stock. I might try making one. Tried Macs, and all the usual places. 38 Bill is sending me a good used set, but I need 2 sets. One for the woodie and one for the 47 tonner which I've been test driving with nothing bolted to the manifolds. Gag, cough. Anyone have any more ideas for a source?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #7
GB SISSON

Well, there's no place like home. I decided to look under a deep project I've been storing in a shed. The heads are off, engine stuck, 47 1/2 ton pickup. Sure enough a very solid Y pipe and crossover under there. Had no Idea it was there or any good at all. Broke one out of 4 studs on the headpipe flanges, and sawzalled it off at the rusty muffler. I had to replace the passenger side manifold on the tonner before I could mount it as it dumped off the rear and had a diamond shaped cap on the front. Well, turns out the other side was wrong too. So back under the truck in the gravel hoping against hope no bolts would break off in the block, but thanks to the blue wrench I was successful. I found a really nice muffler in my pile and even a brand new store bought 2" muffler clamp on a cluttered shelf, and a handful of manifold/headpipe gaskets scavenged from some old gasket sets. I had some good 59ab manifolds with perfect studs and used tall cylinder head nuts with never-seize liberally applied. I had all this done by noon, so still had a decent afternoon building some tables for a bakery in the wood shop. Sure is a lot quieter and nicer smelling in the cab after all that. Now I can use the one from Bill on the woodie as intended. PS Boy that's a noisy transmission, before this muffler I had no idea it was so bad.....
Old 05-10-2017, 12:38 AM   #8
A bones

You rock, really you do.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
GB SISSON

My friends and family would say "you're obsessed, really you are". But thanks.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Thanks to 38 Bill, I now have an extremely nice crossover and y pipe system for the woodie project. The steel is just like new! Thanks!
Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
38bill

No problem Gary, they have been sitting on a shelf for 17 years. I'm just glad I could find such a worthy project to donate them to.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
RalphM

I think that's what I like most about the Barn. Everybody helps out to keep these old Fords on the road!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
Drbrown

PS ALL ABOVE ...we're all obsessed, really we are ....
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #14
GB SISSON

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. Thanks all.