Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
old28

Default Model A or B Aluminum Flywheel

Is anyone making a aluminum flywheel that will work with a Model A or B motor and 32B trans?
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
Juggler

Default Re: Model A or B Aluminum Flywheel

Bill Stipe

http://specialtymotorcams.com/pages/products.html

Or you could use a V8 flywheel and modify the starter. Discussion here:-

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152953

Cheers

Juggs
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

I have a 16 pound Phil Andrews aluminum flywheel in one of my engines and I like it. The acceleration is much quicker than with the old original flywheel or even a cutdown one. If there is any disadvantage I have seen with an aluminum flywheel it is going around corners at speed. Whereas the heavy flywheel allows the torque to keep the car in third gear while going around corner, I often need to downshift to second gear in the same scenario. No big deal, though. A small price to pay for the dramatic quicker acceleration and faster revving. Although the Model A transmission is not synchromesh, you can learn to downshift to second at speed by timing the gear and engine revolutions to match and keeping a slight amount of acceleration while pushing in the clutch and shifting. I don't even think about it anymore. It's automatic. I wish I had an aluminum flywheel in all my Model A's, but the cost is prohibitive. My engines have higher compression heads, which I'm sure helps make the aluminum flywheel more streetable. 'Dunno how it would behave with a stock 4.2:1 head.
I am not advocating an aluminum flywheel for everyone's Model A! Like any major modification to our cars, some people will like, it, some won't.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-13-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Ted had a Pinto, with a stock Model A flywheel in his Coupe. (GRUNT!)
Added an ALUMINUM flywheel & ZIPPED off, like a rocket.
Bill W.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
I have a 16 pound Phil Andrews aluminum flywheel in one of my engines and I like it. ... some people will like, it, some won't.
Marshall
That's very interesting. I take it you are using a counterbalanced crank as 16 pounds is quite light?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
quickchange

Don,t Think Bill is doing them but you need to check & advise us here as to outcome. I run two of them , but not in road vehicle , very nice units as all of his parts are . Derek in a frosty NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:08 AM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by old28 View Post
Is anyone making a aluminum flywheel that will work with a Model A or B motor and 32B trans?
Call Bill Stipe, as he is making a new batch of alum flywheels for use on A/B engines. He called me about 2 months ago about my buying one from him about $600.
However I had located the same new unused alum flywheel with disc/pressure plate and ring gear all balanced out...for $400. They are rare/scarce item to come by and I lucked out by locating the one I bought .

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-15-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: ...............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

"That's very interesting. I take it you are using a counterbalanced crank as 16 pounds is quite light?" updraught

Yes, you are correct. The crank is counter-balanced. With or without counterweights, however, the principle in going around corners would be the same. Those added weights to the crankshaft would not be enough to offset the lost 65 pound flywheel in maintaining inertia and torque. I don't always need to downshift from third to second while going around corners, but often enough that it is noticeable. The other side of the coin is that the light flywheel allows the engine to slow down quicker to match the transmission RPMs so that a smooth downshift at speed is possible. It does take a short learning curve to master this technique, but it certainly comes in handy! As I say, an aluminum flywheel in a Model A is not everyone's cup of tea. But after you have driven a Model A with such a flywheel and then get into one with the original boat anchor flywheel, you'll wonder what's wrong with the engine in the second car because it will feel so sluggish by comparison!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
PC/SR

Whether you have a stock or lightened flywheel, learn how to shift without using the clutch at all, except from a standing start. You may not use that technique all the time but it will make you a better driver if you know how to do it.
First, just slip it out of gear as you approach a stop sign. Saves the thrust bearings. Then start practicing on upshifts from 2 to 3rd. Ease it out of 2nd and wait until the engine slows down then slip it into 3rd. After you get this down, start downshifting, 3rd to 2nd. By this time you will have some indications from you engine sounds of how it works. As said it will make you a better driver and you will know your car better.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #10
old28

Thanks guys for all the information. I think I will stay with a lightened A/B flywheel this first time around.
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote