Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
bobj49f2

Default Stuck/unstuck flat head

I have a EAB flattie that I was told came out of '53 car. Narrow pulleys.

The engine sat in a garage for over 20 years and when I found it it was laying on it's side. The was one spark plug and four broken ones on the driver's side and none on the passenger side. I got it home and removed the one complete spark plug, heat the broken ones and use an easy out. The all came out very easily, the broken ones even had the electron attached.

The engine would only move about 10° either way. I didn't want to wreck anything so after dumping penetrating oil in the cylinders and waiting a couple of weeks I pulled the heads off to check out the condition of the engine expecting to see a real mess. Other than the exhaust valves being a bit burnt and coated with carbon the insides look great, very little ridge at the top of the cylinders. I did have 4-5 stuck valves but with a little work and penetrating oil I got them freed up.

Here's my question. As I stated the engine would only move about 10° either way. I took the heads off and tried to spin the engine with a breaker bar on the pulley and the engine turned over and now turns very easily. What would have prevented it from turning before I removed the heads? I couldn't find anything that would have prevented a valve from opening. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, another strange thing, at least I thought, the passenger side head, the one without any spark plugs has a crack on the outside, just below the spark plug hold second from the front. Isn't this kind of a strange place to have a crack? I looked the block over really close with the help of a bright light and couldn't find any cracks in the block. There might be a hair line crack that I can't see with a naked eye but from close inspection I couldn't find any.
bobj49f2 is offline   Reply With Quote