Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2023, 09:22 AM   #21
glennpm

Default Re: Replacing a non 1933 steering wheel - what else fits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve hackel View Post
My research and others answers indicate that the 1932 column drop will work on the 33-34 pick up truck dash due to the angle on the bottom side.
Hi Steve,

What other sources confimed that the '32 steering lock assembly was used on the trucks please? Based on the Green book, I thought that was the case but could find nothing to confirm this.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:10 AM   #22
GB SISSON

As far as what fits, I recently pulled a nice dodge 3 spoke wheel off a '47 ford shaft. It looked like a direct swap and took a tremendous effort to free it.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:17 PM   #23
T Scott

Steve, It has been awhile since I rebuilt one of these boxes, but it is possible that the bearings are standard as opposed to custom made for this application. Others here on the Barn can chime in on that. I would contact Bearings Specialty, apparently now BSI, and give them the numbers on the races and bearings. Worth a try.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:38 PM   #24
Seth Swoboda

I got new bearings from 3rd Gen Auto for my '40 steering box rebuild. For whats it's worth.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:57 PM   #25
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve hackel View Post
My research and others answers indicate that the 1932 column drop will work on the 33-34 pick up truck dash due to the angle on the bottom side. The passenger style would work if I make a tapered shim to compensate for the truck dash angle versus the nearly straight passenger dash. The information is coming together nicely with the aid of everyone's collective knowledge. Looking like I'll need a steering shaft or an entire box. I will probably run a want add later tonight for the box and column.
Where is everyone buying the upper and lower cones and races for their boxes? I looked at several major dealers catalogs and they are discontinued?
I am posting a picture of a 1934 pickup column drop. It is significantly different than the passenger 33/34 drop. It is also different than the 32 pickup drop. Note how the left side of the drop is taller to accommodate the curvature of the dash on the pickup. The 32 pickup has a 6 inch shorter wheelbase and possibly the geometry is different. I would think that the passenger drop could be adapted using a little ingenuity. I believe the 33/34 pickup drops would be hard to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.0 KB, 109 views)
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:41 PM   #26
glennpm

Thanks 34fordy for your input.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #27
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
I am posting a picture of a 1934 pickup column drop. It is significantly different than the passenger 33/34 drop. It is also different than the 32 pickup drop. Note how the left side of the drop is taller to accommodate the curvature of the dash on the pickup. The 32 pickup has a 6 inch shorter wheelbase and possibly the geometry is different. I would think that the passenger drop could be adapted using a little ingenuity. I believe the 33/34 pickup drops would be hard to find.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:31 AM   #28
steve hackel

1933 - 34 truck column drops seem to be far & few between available, and searching
through all of the old posts in any of the 4 sale sections there doesn't seem to be any
for sale. The 32 drop is the closest in terms of the actual fit, since the 33-34 truck
dash and the 32 passenger dash are similar. The 32 passenger drop seems to be just a little longer, placing the column down farther in my lap. The 33-34 passenger drop

seems to be adaptable if a large wedge or shim were to be fabricated to compensate
for the differences in the drop to dash angles, so again there are many choices here.
The last of the issues seems to be the column / cover and I haven't located one yet.
What might be the closest replacement, even with modifications to make it fit? Thanks
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:37 PM   #29
34fordy

[QUOTE=steve hackel The 32 passenger drop seems to be just a little longer, placing the column down farther in my lap.

You might need to open up the steering box mounting holes a tad to drop the column down into your lap? Geometry?
Old 11-21-2023, 08:30 PM   #30
34fordy

After studying this I believe that the setback of the bolt holes is quite different making a passenger drop to work would be iffy!
Old 11-22-2023, 08:25 AM   #31
jimTN

If your steering gear is good then knock the shaft out of the worm. Any ford column up to 48 can be used by by cutting to the right length and relocating the hole for a lock pin. The switch mount or column drop would need to be correct for the truck.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #32
34fordy

Just made an example of what you could make for a shim assembly if you ended up using a passenger 33/34 drop. The very top piece in black is to correspond with the shim angle below. It would fit inside of the dash. This allows the bolts to be aligned with the drop. I used aluminum but could be done with any material.
This is the approximate angle I used for a friends universal drop in his 34 pickup.
He was not interested in the "real deal".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-22-2023, 04:08 PM   #33
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
Just made an example of what you could make for a shim assembly if you ended up using a passenger 33/34 drop. The very top piece in black is to correspond with the shim angle below. It would fit inside of the dash. This allows the bolts to be aligned with the drop. I used aluminum but could be done with any material.
This is the approximate angle I used for a friends universal drop in his 34 pickup.
He was not interested in the "real deal".

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:24 PM   #34
steve hackel

YES ! That was my thoughts exactly, and it's probably what I will end up doing
with what am currently faced with. My thanks and your help is greatly appreciated
and it always impresses the amount of knowledge we collectively share.

best wishes, Steve Hackel
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:39 AM   #35
Tim Brown

I have 34 pickup column drops. I can rebuild you one with a working key. I probably have the column tube as well. I’d have to look. Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote