Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2023, 10:30 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Skills Necessary To Own & Operate A Model "A"

What automotive skills and personal traits does a person new to our Model "A" hobby need to posses or develop?

Old 08-31-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
Will N

Default Re: Skills Necessary To Own & Operate A Model "A"

I've seen people with no automotive skills at all but with the personal trait of having a fat wallet own and enjoy Model As ;-) Personally, I feel that a Model A owner should know how to turn a wrench and not be scared to tear into repairs themselves.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
jb-ob

Acknowledging one's own mechanical short comings, while realizing the geniuses who designed & built the Model A.

Be suspicious of every new & 'gotta have' improvement to an already 90 year old mechanical success.

If it wasn't for today's paved roads, most wouldn't drive these cars..
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:49 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Love and appreciation of old "Stuff" and Old Fords between 1928-31 in particular.

Enjoy hanging out with people with like interests.

Enjoy driving with a smile on your face.

Lastly be somewhat mechanically inclined. Let's face it, these Ol' Girls can be cantankerous at times...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:09 PM   #5
41blueoval

I knew nothing about model A’s before I bought mine. Been a great learning experience.
But I am mechanically inclined
41blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:11 PM   #6
AzBob

Below are a few of my thoughts.

Some basic mechanical and electrical aptitude along with troubleshooting skills and a "can do" attitude would be helpful to go along with ownership of the Model A.

A willingness to maintain and routinely check out the vital safety systems of the Model A such as brakes, wheels and steering. After all, these cars are up to 95 years old and the owner is responsible not only for their own safety but for others on the road as well.

Having other local Model A owners or club to call on if help is needed or the services of a mechanic or shop that specializes in cars of this vintage.
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:22 PM   #7
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
What automotive skills and personal traits does a person new to our Model "A" hobby need to posses or develop?

I came into this with almost zero. If you ask around the web forums, some will say I still have zero.

What I did have coming in was the advantage of a "superpower", namely autism. Asperger's syndrome to be exact. I obsess over certain things. I started obsessing over Model As and binged on all the info I could find. That was before Fordbarn. And, I have a photographic memory, so I scanned all the factory information I could find, then later focus on the details from the images burned into my memory, which I still go back to frequently.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:35 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I came into this with almost zero. If you ask around the web forums, some will say I still have zero.

What I did have coming in was the advantage of a "superpower", namely autism. Asperger's syndrome to be exact. I obsess over certain things. I started obsessing over Model As and binged on all the info I could find. That was before Fordbarn. And, I have a photographic memory, so I scanned all the factory information I could find, then later focus on the details from the images burned into my memory, which I still go back to frequently.
Hah! I'm Anal Retentive... My wife says I'm just anal!

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-31-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:03 PM   #9
Russ B

I was 12 when I got my cabriolet and it is now 60 years since. Initially my efforts were in reading all I could and then getting my hands dirty doing all I could. I was young and somewhat reckless driving my car then, but the car and I survived. Then there were no interstate freeways, disk brakes, or radial tires, so all cars were more or less on the same footing safety wise. Now the big requirement is for active driving at all times, using care to defend against faster, better handling, and better stopping modern cars, and against driver who have no clue about the safety limitations of our vehicles.

So patience and hyper awareness of all the other cars and drivers is the new skill I need. The mechanical stuff is less of an issue to me now, as I don’t worry much about being unable to fix whatever happens when I am on the road to keep going.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:25 PM   #10
Tom Endy

My grandson Ben is 17 years old and a new driver to both modern and Model A. When he was 13 years old, we began the restoration of a 1930 Tudor for him. He is well versed in many of the aspects of Model A restoration, however starting a Model A is not the same as starting the modern he drives to school. The attached instructions are laminated and, in the Tudor, until it becomes second nature. The instructions are on the web site of the Santa Anita A's of Arcadia, California, along with other instructions for a new Model A owner.

https://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-cont...structions.pdf

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:31 PM   #11
nkaminar

One has to have some mechanical and electrical skill or money to hire that out. A person just getting into the hobby is advised to purchase a car that was rebuilt and has a proven record of reliability. The Model A is really easy to work on but requires some basic skills and knowledge.

I am currently working on a car that sat out in a field for 5 years. I rebuilt the steering system and am finishing up on the brakes. However, the car will need a complete rebuilt from the frame up. The car has sentimental value to the owners (5 siblings) but no one in the family has the time or skill to rebuilt it. It will cost lots of money for someone else to do the work and I am not sure they want to spend that kind of money. I cannot rebuilt it because I don't have the tools or room or time. So the car is in a difficult position, between a rock and a hard place. Point being that the family would be better off selling this car to someone who wants a project and buying one that is already rebuilt. But that would not be "dad's" car, so I don't know what the solution will be. For a person (the family) just getting into the hobby this is not the right car.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 08-31-2023 at 02:37 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:34 PM   #12
alexiskai

I entered the hobby 5 years ago with zero tools, knowledge, experience, or personal connections, except I knew one guy in town who helped me get the car running and that was it. Everything I know, I learned from the internet, or from books recommended by someone on the internet. So, uh, I would recommend "using the internet" as an important automotive skill.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:45 PM   #13
Brentwood Bob

A privileged ride in the early 50's to the store in Rialto with Uncle Joe and my dad to get a Cracker Jack probably sealed it for me. That fun never left. uncle warren's Norton AFB jitney was the reinforcer. My $40. E28 cutdown sport coupe, from an orange grove in Redlands, when I was 15, just embedded that thing in me deeper. Chasing parts with my dad in Rancho Cucamonga in a corrugated metal shed in partial light probably did it.
A lot of try, as the Cowboys say.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 08-31-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:06 PM   #14
Bcontheroad

If you have an active local club, then go for it. They will be extremely friendly and helpful!
Bcontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:18 PM   #15
Herb Concord Ca

When I bought my fist Model A at age 49, I couldn't spell Model A. But I had a strong mechanical and electrical background and skills. In fact, my car was found by a long time "old car guy" friend who knew what I wanted more than I did! The first and best thing I did was to join the local Model A's chapter.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 05:19 PM   #16
ModelA29

If you are 6-1 265 with size 13 feet the first skills are dieting and shoe selection - Model As are pretty small inside. I wanted a simple around town car but now I want to drive it further. Living a mile from what was Route 66 only increases my desire to venture further. Easy, dare I say fun, maintenance was also a factor. My other toys are a 32V SVT Mustang that I have just finished an engine rebuild and a 170+ mph Mustang GT1 tube frame race car. Like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VhMQ9bLn3k

My Model A skills have been honed over the past year of ownership by watching Paul Shinn YouTube videos.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:10 PM   #17
History

You guys are waaaaayyyyy overthinking this,,,. All one needs is the ability to use a pair of pliers and to be able cut baling wire with the pliers!!!!!

I also have a buddy who can linebore and fix things I mess up!!!! ��
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:35 PM   #18
Oldbluoval

At times have a vocabulary of “golf words”!!!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:28 PM   #19
oldspert

I bought my first Model A when I was 16 years old. Was raised on a farm so I had some experience with tractors. The Ford had already been converted to hydraulic brakes but needed an engine overhaul. This was in 1959 and the engine had already been bored to .080 oversize. Was an easy job with my dad helping me. Have been a car guy ever since.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 10:51 AM   #20
31Cabriolet68-C

How to drive stick shift.......
(Sorry, couldn't resist)
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote