Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
JBR

Default 29 Roadster Pickup Seat ?

I have a 29 roadster pickup. There a 4 pointed L shaped hooks that hold the bottom of the seat back in place, but nothing to hold the top. The seat cushion doesn't have anything to hold it in place either and it slides around. What was used to hold the seat cushions in place?
Thanks,
Jon
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
29RPU

Default Re: 29 Roadster Pickup Seat ?

The top seat, at least on my RPU, just stuffs down at the bottom, then, you wedge it up under the wood at the top. Mines stays nice and snug between the bottom cushion and the top wood piece.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Charles Reese

what's the order of installation?
1. seat cushion, then back cushion
2. back cushion, then seat cushion
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

As already said, it simply tucks under the wooden belt rail. I believe the rail is slightly relieved along the bottom forming a subtle hook over it's entire length.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
what's the order of installation?
1. seat cushion, then back cushion
2. back cushion, then seat cushion

The backrest on ANY Model A should never require removal in normal use of the vehicle.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
JBR

OK, I tried that. The back cushion will not hook under the wood. It is too short. It is probably not an original cushion. Looks pretty new.

How about the seat bottom? What holds it in place? Blocks of wood like my Tudor rear seat?

Thanks again,
Jon
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
29RPU

Marco, the bottom seat cushion cannot be removed without removing the top cushion on a RPU, not that either has to be removed under normal 'use' of a model A of course. Maybe I'm mis-reading your post because I know your knowledge far surpasses mine. Order is bottom cushion followed by top cushion. My bottom cushion just rests in a recessed area in the seat riser (metal raised portion under the seat). How much do you miss by? I wonder if you could screw some small blocks to the bottom of your bottom seat cushing, thus raising it slightly so the top cushion will work properly. Not the most professional way to do it, but if time is taken and enough blocks used so it will still rest in the seat riser, it should work.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29RPU View Post
Marco, the bottom seat cushion cannot be removed without removing the top cushion on a RPU, not that either has to be removed under normal 'use' of a model A of course. Maybe I'm mis-reading your post because I know your knowledge far surpasses mine. Order is bottom cushion followed by top cushion. My bottom cushion just rests in a recessed area in the seat riser (metal raised portion under the seat). How much do you miss by? I wonder if you could screw some small blocks to the bottom of your bottom seat cushing, thus raising it slightly so the top cushion will work properly. Not the most professional way to do it, but if time is taken and enough blocks used so it will still rest in the seat riser, it should work.
That is probably due to ill fitting repro parts. All models (except Tudor type front seats of course) were designed for the front of the seat cushion to be lifted slightly at the front, slid forward and out. Keep in mind that the pan or tray under the front seat of most models was the "tool box" so it was expected to be used. On Tudors and phaetons the tool storage was under the rear cushion. The backrest should not need to come out on any of these models. If it does then something is not right.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
JBR

RPU,
It wouldn't take much. Maybe a 1/2 inch or so. I thought about raising the hooks on the back that catch the buttom a bit.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying about the bottom cushion. I will take a better look tomorrow in day light.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
JTW

The metal seat riser has 2 metal brackets attached to the back side of the front, at the top a ways in from the right and left side. The bottom seat cushion has 2 metal wire prongs that project down from the bottom and snap in on the inside edges of the 2 metal brackets of the seat riser. The back cushion is hooked on the 2 metal hooks that are attached near the bottom area of the wooden back rests, and then pushed in and down and then released to snap into the 3/4" wide by 1/4" deep grove that is in the bottom of the wooden rail that is attached to the top back of the cab. If it wasn't raining buckets I could go out to take a picture to post that would make simple this confusing discription.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
OK, I tried that. The back cushion will not hook under the wood. It is too short. It is probably not an original cushion. Looks pretty new.

How about the seat bottom? What holds it in place? Blocks of wood like my Tudor rear seat?

Thanks again,
Jon
The original seat cushion spring had these two brackets that fit BETWEEN the two triangular brackets spot welded inside your seat riser.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
29RPU

I didn't remember the two little brackets on the wooden 'back rests', but JTW is right I do have those. JBR, sounds like you are missing the two little brackets that the bottom of the top cushion slide down into.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
JBR

This what I have. The first picture is of the seat springs. Although they are similar to what Marco posted, I don't think they are the same. The two brackets that project down to keep the cushion in place are definitely missing.

The second and third picture is of the back of the cab and the wood there. You can see the brackets that hook on the bottom of the seat back near the bottom of the picture.

The fourth picture is of a tag that was wired to the seat back springs. It has blue paint on one end and rock moss (?) green on the other. The tag reads M31993.

The last picture is of the top rail above the seat. It isn't very wide and only extends from the vertical wood ribs in the back of the cab about 3/8" to 1/2". There isn't a groove for the seat back to slide into.

So, tell me what I have (bad repo parts?) and what I need to look for.

JTW, I would love to see pictures of what you have when it quits raining.

Marco, Thanks for the pictures. They helped a lot to clarify what is missing. As always, your post are informative and educational.

Thanks guys for all your help,
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-100_0215.jpg (187.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0216.jpg (67.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0217.jpg (70.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0218.jpg (26.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0231.jpg (39.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
JTW

The wooden piece that goes across the back should be 50 15/16"+ long, 1 1/8" thick and 2 1/8" wide at the narrow part where the back cushion snaps in. There is a 5/16" lip from the front edge then a 3/4" wide grove 1/4" deep.The grove is 44 1/2" long, centered on the piece. The top back of the wire frame spring set snaps into that grove. The picture shown is not an original, but does have the grove. The original was made in 3 pieces, middle strip and 2 ends, by the way. Also there is a picture of the back wooden pieces with the correct hooks pointing in the right direction. This picture was taken from an original untouched cab. There is another picture of the 2 triangle tabs on the seat riser that the metal prongs on Marco's seat picture fit between. In this picture the wooden support piece that goes from right to left in the middle of the riser is missing. You have to push the seat bottom in a little to snap them down in. There is another picture showing top and side of the back spring (top snaps in the grove of the wood talked about above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img05780037.jpg (44.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Img05800037.jpg (77.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Img05810037.jpg (83.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Img05820037.jpg (33.3 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
JBR

Thumbs up Re: 29 Roadster Pickup Seat ?

JTW,
That helps a lot. My top piece at the back of the cab is only 1 5/8" wide. There is no groove. So that is definitely the wrong piece. It will have to be replaced.
I have the metal hooks at the bottom, but there are 4 of them. I also have the triangle tabs on the seat riser. Unfortunately there are no tabs or brackets on the seat springs to fit into them.
So that is what I need to fix. Anyone have a picture or diagram of a wood kit? Where is the best place to get the wood parts?
Thanks everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Jon
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
rickmass

Does any one know how far those metal hooks are down the broads,I don,t have any of that stuff.Thanks Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
rickmass

P S great pictures.Rickmass
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
Keith True

Rickmass,Don't use an original measurement to place your seat hooks unless you are using an original seat spring,even then I doubt I would do it that way.Not thinking,I measured the position of the hooks on an original,and found they were an inch and a half off on the repro seat springs.Then I measured from the underside of the cab back rail down to the seat spring rib that I would be setting into the hooks.I mounted them there,and it fits.The idea was to be able to slide the bottom cushion out leaving the backrest in place.As it turns out it is easier to pop the backrest out and then the cushion than trying to rassle the cushion back in under the backrest.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
rickmass

Keith thank,s for the info,as i said I don,t have any of that stuff.Rickmass
Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Ted Duke

Help please,

My 1929 Rdstr PU cab wood was almost complete I thought. I made duplicates of unusable pieces and a friend has loaned me the board that goes around the back so that I can duplicate it.

Wood kits in catalogs show a bottom seat board.

Questions:

(1) What is it for?
(2) Where does it go?
(3) How does it attach?

43 years into this project (with a lot of down time), but I WILL get it finished.

Ted in Virginia
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote