Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
jkcrosson

Default Re: Hey all, New guy here also new to Model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones44 View Post

Obviously you guys have never driven in Atlanta, Georgia traffic. The Roadster has circle track seat belts for safety. Go Dawgs!
Driving any car in Atlanta Georgia is Dangerous, not just a stock Model A.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #22
pick

An "A" is the PERFECT hobby car. Put on a high compression head & an overdrive and you can crui!nnse with "modern" traffic all day long.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #23
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by A440cuda1 View Post
Does anyone have experiances with High compression heads, down draft single or multi carb intakes, tube header or performance cast exhaust....etc.

I am not looking to over power the stock brakes, trans or drive line, just something that will make the daily drive a little easyer/safer for everyone around me.
Yes!

First they are undercarburated, low compression, engines with a 62 lb flywheel that will allow them to run on one cylinder. The motors were originally built with poured babbit bearings and they are tough enough to withstand an increase in h.p. My engine (avatar) was an H&H touring engine with counterweighted crank and inserts that didn't hold up because the rear main was oil starved. I fixed the oil problem and kept the Snyders 5.5 head. I replaced the cam with a new Stipe HP350 cam and put a pair of 94s on it with a set of Reds headers. I got a Dan Price 27 lb flywheel that used a late Ford pressure plate and balanced it all. I haven't run it up all the way yet but where it used to go 35 (uphill) it can now do 55mph.

The brakes are stock A brakes and work very well.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #24
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones44 View Post
Like I said here come the comments. Wheels come off as easy as they go on. Don't think I would look good in high heels, got to draw the line somewhere.

Obviously you guys have never driven in Atlanta, Georgia traffic. The Roadster has circle track seat belts for safety. Go Dawgs!

Thanks for spelling the word chutzpah, had to look that one up. But you guys have convinced me and I am in the process of pulling the motor and re-installing the mechanical brakes.
jones,
'pulling the motor and reinstalling the mech brakes'! Yikes, don't do that! Just trade me the roadster(like it is) For a pretty little stock beauty that I have!
BTW..some time ago we had a discussion about seatbelts/safety/rollover accidents....and roll bars.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

A little more giddy up can be had with a HC head, then a carb change, then a cam change.

If you read the directions for the floaters you will see that the brakes need to be in good working order and prober adjustment before you add the floaters. If the brakes are adjusted correctly and in good working order you don't need the floaters.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
hardtimes

Well, you can tell the guys on the hamb that there are guys over here that have gone over 140mph , driving these four banger engines! See how many of hambers have done that speed in the trusty flatty V8!
Lots of knowledge here to be gained from those guys too. You may have to prod. But there are MANY here who have done what you seek. Bad part is(my opinion)that it costs more to warm up a four banger than a V8.
Call vendor and ask for FREE mag. The one that comes to mind that has the most banger warmup goodies of any I've seen is Sacramento Vintage Ford..most everything you are going to want!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote