Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2022, 08:08 AM   #1
Canton_Model_A's

Question 1929 Model A E-Brake diagrams

Does anyone here have a parts list and/or diagram for the 1929 E-Brake system. The A that I have, doesn't have any of the linkages just the handle. I need to know what to order so that I can have the E-Brake on her.

Dave
Canton_Model_A's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
aermotor

Default Re: 1929 Model A E-Brake diagrams

]Does anyone here have a parts list and/or diagram for the 1929 E-Brake system. The A that I have, doesn't have any of the linkages just the handle. I need to know what to order so that I can have the E-Brake on her.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Check Bratton's Part # 3549
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
Canton_Model_A's

Unhappy Re: 1929 Model A E-Brake diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
]Does anyone here have a parts list and/or diagram for the 1929 E-Brake system. The A that I have, doesn't have any of the linkages just the handle. I need to know what to order so that I can have the E-Brake on her.

Dave
Check Bratton's Part # 3549[/QUOTE]

In checking, this shows the parts to re-do the carrier. I am looking at any diagram that shows the linkages from the handle back to the e-brake actuators.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
rotorwrench

You hit on a subject that is hard to find information about in an "all in one" inclusive type format. There are not a lot of photos or diagrams except the specific change illustrations in the Service Bulletins manual.

Most changes happened in the 1928 model year and there were quite a few. The final changes culminated with the fully separate emergency braking system with the push button control handle on the right side of the transmission. It had a linkage directed to the emergency brake cross shaft that is just behind the service brake cross shaft. Brake rods were connected on each side of the cross shaft that connect to the E-brake actuator levers on each rear brake backing plate. The backing plates are more complex than the old equalizer type brakes since they have shoes for service brakes and shoes/bands for the separate emergency brakes.

This link shows what the cross shaft looks like. https://prewarford.com/products/emer...el-a-1928-1929

You mention you have the lever but see if you have the cross shaft and the full rear brake assemblies on the axle. The rods are likely available since they were used through the end of production with some minor changes. The E-brake cross shaft was changed in 1930 from a tube set up to a solid bar set up but that won't be on a 1929 model unless it was changed out by some previous owner or a Ford dealer somewhere. Most of this stuff is still out there if you are missing any parts. The cross shaft bearings are available and the shafts can be rebuilt. Most of the individual rear wheel brake stuff is available but used stuff is still out there.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-22-2022 at 11:10 AM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #5
Joe K

1929 should put you beyond the "equalizer" configuration of the 1928 E-brake capable system. (Early "tied in" Ebrakes, i.e. no separate E-shoes, were mostly converted over to the newer system.)

The "equalizer" mid-shaft was a thing of mechanical beauty - and VERY functional too as long as everything was clean and tidy. But the multiplicity of parts were just more places to get "crapped up" with road dirt and remove some of the equalization - a situation which will cause the car to "dive" to one side or the other on braking.

Ford endeavored to simplify the brake not only to prevent this, but also to lower costs. What he ended up with with only minor changes between later model years relies much on "stretch" of the rods to equalize between left and right - and shoe adjustment for "proportioning" between front and back.

Ford original concept of the brake was 1/3rd braking on the front and 2/3rds on the back. The concept then was this will prevent the rear from "swinging around" and leave the driver in better control in a panic stop.

The theory is in error in that with 2/3rd of the braking power on the rear, it tends to put the rear wheels into a "skid" first - which once skid occurs eliminates actual contact with the road - leaving the rear to "float" on the skid. Exactly what the original concept claimed to avoid.

Modern thinking is at variance with this - most modern cars do 2/3rds of the braking on the front wheels and 1/3rd on the rear. In a driving/braking situation, the driver will actually instinctively "steer the skid" that panic braking causes - and greater braking force on the front takes advantage of a center of gravity geometry of the car which puts greater force between the front tires and the road. And yields a quicker stop and better control for the driver.

Note that with the fronts wheel skidding first, it leaves the rear wheels to "turn" over the road, maintaining alignment and contact, and accomplishing the hope of the original concept.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 09-22-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:19 AM   #6
john charlton

The front end is very flexible by its construction so when braking the front axle rotates forward slightly . This gives a "servo" effect as the levers are on the top of the backplate and vertical . There is no effect on the rear brakes . I am sure Henry did many tests and set the 1/3 rd 2/3rd rate which in practise gives even braking front and back . If you have worn king pins the "servo" effect is more pronounced .

John in the first day of autumn Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
Jim Mason

Some help?

Last edited by Jim Mason; 09-23-2022 at 09:03 PM.
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #8
Canton_Model_A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
Some help?
Looks like those will, Thanks Jim!