Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Brian SATX

Default POR-15 and UV

When POR 15 first came out, there was concern that it would not stand up to UV rays. Any update on that?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
Aok

Default Re: POR-15 and UV

Can't speak on uv I used por15 about 10 yrs back on a frame and was not satisfied with the results it did not hold up well and always was concerned about locking in rust.
I prefer to clean parts the best I can, phosphorus acid works well just be careful of what is around it then prime and top coat with quality paint
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

POR-15 Chassis Black will fade when exposed to the UV rays of sunlight. It is not meant to be a top coat. However having used close to a gallon of POR-15 Chassis Black, I have not seen it fail as a coating.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: Just one opinion based on many past POR 15 experiences.

In support of reply no. 3 above, and definitely not to be critical of failures experienced with POR 15; but, absolutely without a doubt if one continues to ask experienced POR technicians and very experienced POR 15 salesmen, they will "all" tell you that most POR 15 failures occur when POR 15 is used by professional and experienced painters; and also non-professional and non-experienced painters, who fail to not only read, but understand the POR 15 directions ...... which I might add, as POR 15's fault, of not always printing and explaining in "detail" what "NOT" to do.

All highly technical industrial paint manufactures today never use the word "Paint'.

"Coatings is the word for these very "different"materials that one "cannot" find at Wal-Mart, where one usually finds cheap paint stuff like: "Buy one ... and get one free."

Good examples for POR 15 failure:

A. Apply POR 15 in high humidity.

B. Clean metal with acetone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, gasoline, etc. which dissolves oil and grease and allow it to enter porous metal ....... also, using soaps leaves a film that POR 15 will not adhere to ..... hence, use POR recommended Marine Clean or nothing and treat and etch rust and SS with materials per POR directions.

C. Buying large cans, using little, and coming back later to find a rock hard mass inside the can. (Using six packs of small cans works far better for Model A hobbyists.)

Using POR 15 is absolutely 100% opposite and totally different from grandpa painting a toilet seat with tough enamel.

My Coupe chassis on my 1930 chassis is like new after 20 years with POR 15 and POR Chassis Black over sandblasted and properly prepared rusty and pitted steel.

I painted undercarriage, under side of fenders, brake rods, and everything under my 1930 Town Sedan and still looks great after 6 years ..... rocks hitting underside of fenders cause no harm to the parrot beak resistant POR 15 Chassis top coating.

I think it would be far more helpful for POR 15 to print: "What "NOT" to do rather than allow users to find out the hard way.

Like the so very few who use it successfully and claim to like it, I found out and learned the "hard" way by experimenting with POR failures.

I never blame users who condemn this material ...... it is "NOT" just paint .... appears it will outlast one's lifetime or more than one (1) lifetime, but it requires special precautions and knowing what "NOT" to do.

Some just do not have time to learn POR 15 through experimentation ..... very understandable ..... they should be respected for finding other solutions.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-19-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
wyankee

I agree with everything H.L.Chauvin states. I have used POR 15 for probably 20 years,and if prepped correctly, performs as stated.
wyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Wyankee,

FWIW:

Without substantial "repeat" sales, at the cost of doing business in the U.S. today, POR 15 would definitely be long gone to China and/or out of business today at the cost of just opening doors, advertising, paying inventory taxes, real estate taxes, phone taxes, all through the nose, and hiring and paying a few people for help.

I spoke to the POR 15 owner many times years ago and asked lots of questions. I learned a lot. All of their products are carefully laboratory, chemically tested prior to being placed on the market. Calling a POR 15 technician helps a lot ...... their salesmen are usually all well trained.

One POR 15 test related many years ago was the painting of an oil rig in the salt waters of the North Sea where 12 foot waves laden with ocean debris was beating up the steel structure ..... POR 15 products passed this test with flying colors.

I like POR 15 because of the once in a life time chore and time consuming mess necessary to clean metal and remove old paint with rust spots. Usual Painting Time in hours: 98% preparation ...... 2% applying paint ...... time is money for working people and old folks ....... spend a few dollars on the long lasting coating.

So many favorable customer reports are sent to the POR 15 manufacturer each year .......... one of which I heard from a POR 15 salesman was a guy who had a POR 15 painted Model A submerged in Hurricane Katrina's salt water for (2-1/2) weeks.

A few months later his new car totally fell apart with rust ............ but his Model A was unharmed .... hmmmmmm ......... sounds to me like something one of us typically retarded Model A owners would report after a few beers at the "Y'all come Back Saloon" ????? LOL

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-20-2016 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

A real test for POR-15 would be a manure spreader.

Who do we contact to get that test done?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Dearest Friend Tom,

Nothing like a very honest, basic Model A question.

If we think about it over the weekend, here is one of the easiest and toughest POR 15 "MANURE TEST" in the entire World.

1. Contact a POR 15 salesman.

2. Contact "all" TV News Channels.

3. Obtain "select" TV channel microphones and have POR 15 salesman paint them with POR 15.

4. Allow the Presidential Candidates and Newsmen to address who will win in Nevada.

5. If POR 15 survives this concentrated MANURE TEST , it gets an A+++ Rating on the most highly concentrated piles of MANURE equal to "NONE".

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-20-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
1Tudoor

Uh oh ?

Last edited by 1Tudoor; 02-20-2016 at 05:13 PM.
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Tom,

In thinking back on your particular question & SUBJECT introduced today, in 1967 at Fort Belvoir, I acquired a 1331 MOS and a 1328 MOS ....... & part of the 1328 courses received was called MATERIAL TESTING.

Like any other U. S. Government military requirement, they asked us all to put a teaspoon of dirt in our mouths, grit our teeth, spit it out ...... and next, put another different teaspoon of dirt in our mouths, grit our teeth and spit it out.

They then told us that the dirt sample that was not gritty was clay, with no sand ....... and naturally, the sample that was gritty contained sand. Wow!

Title of this Foundation Engineering Course was: Soil Testing.

In thinking back today about your question, I'm so glad they did not ask us to check a third soil sample to see if it contained MANURE.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
Dodge

When this stuff is done right it's as tough as powder coating.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote