Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #21
My Old Blue

Default Re: California Emissions on my 56?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
The heat riser is supposed to be at the front of the passengers side exhaust manifold. That's where they came originally, and need to be there to force the exhaust through the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. Dual exhaust cars had the heat riser at the exhaust side outlet.

Sal
That is what was throwing me off Sal. Valve was located down at end of manifold and not up at the top as would be for a crossover. I found out tonight I have a 312 with a 292 crossover with a exhaust valve in a 312 location. I even went as far to see if I had an exhaust hanger at rear driver side to tell me I had duals at some point, hanger is still there yet I have single exhaust out passenger side.
My Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #22
paul2748

I it is indeed a truck engine, then it's not a 312. No 312 was factory installed in any truck, including a F 100.

I thought all 56 V8's came with dual exhausts or dual exhaust type manifolds ???
paul2748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #23
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Old Blue View Post
That is what was throwing me off Sal. Valve was located down at end of manifold and not up at the top as would be for a crossover. I found out tonight I have a 312 with a 292 crossover with a exhaust valve in a 312 location. I even went as far to see if I had an exhaust hanger at rear driver side to tell me I had duals at some point, hanger is still there yet I have single exhaust out passenger side.
At some time in the past someone put on whatever leftover exhaust parts could be found easily.

Not too big of a surprise considering the number of years since '56.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-07-2017 at 12:06 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #24
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
You assessment on a truck motor adds to the mystery. I wonder if the air cleaner would have come from the 312 motor that was in it or it came with the 292 shown?
If it was a crate motor, the 292 truck engine was the engine that the rebuilders were using back in the day to replace the old 239's and 272's.
The air cleaner looks like one of the era that was used on the 4bbl teapot carb from what I can see in the photo, but yours appears to be a dry type. To my knowledge, Ford didn't switch to a dry type until 1957 and it looked completely different from yours. I may be wrong about whether or not they offered a dry type in '56 though.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 11-07-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #25
KULTULZ

Quote:

Going for a nice weekend driver with as much OEM VIN correctness I can put back into it. Don't see a full restoration in future but will add some nice wheels to add some flare, not too over the top.
IMO ONLY ...

(...and this is after determining any amount of engine blow-by) (as the ventilation system on it has been fabricated)

I would suggest the PCV System from a later 60's 292 truck engine. It is tucked out of sight and functional.

Also a 1957 292/312 intake to accept a later style HOLLEY (unless you want to retain the teapot - nothing wrong there) and defeat the LOAD-O-MATIC feature. This is done by using a 1957/ dist and modifying the 4000. A PERTRONIX II will give it life.

And of course, for the proper sounds effect, it HAS to have duals...

Have the glass tinted so as all cannot see your big smile as you cruise...

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote