Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default 1956 Hood Insulation

Does anyone know how this piece is installed? I'm guessing on the rear, towards the windshield, the two pieces are not square, have one corner cut off. Yellow fiberglass? One side, the other a black matte of some kind. The only info is, if it's yellow, yellow goes on hood side, but how can that have a good stick to the hood? I'm thinking that fiberglass is gonna look dirty after a bit if the matte is glued to the underside.
Anyone installed this item?
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
rowens55

Default Re: 1956 Hood Insulation

While I cannot answer your question directly, I would go on line and look up original ford advertising/commercials. They always show off "under hood". You will most likely see it there as ford had done it.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

When my hood did have the original insulation on it, the yellow side was toward the engine. The car was seventeen years old then but the insulation did not look dirty to me (comparing it to the roll of new yellow insulation I have). I do recall one of those corners being cut at an angle but do not recall how it was oriented. Sorry, but that was how many dozens of years ago. A guy can't remember every detail after that long ago!
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
Herman Munster

I've looked hard and long for something showing the original insulation on any 55-56. I never found any photo showing a good example of what it should look like. I like to think I'm pretty good at finding things on the internet but that one still escapes me.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
Jwawhite

Thanks guys! I took a look at the underside of the hood yesterday, if my one day memory serves,�� The reward brace curves outward towards the front of the hood. Think I'll mount the "cut corners" in this area to mimic the outline. I'll hold the pads up against for looksee, seems they will be in landscape position. If the fit looks correct, I'll glue them up. I have this 3M spray glue it's the best I've ever used, if you place some material crooked, that's where it stays, there is no leeway, it sets immediately. It will hold that matte for a very, very long time.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Jwawhite

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here's a photo I found online:
https://www.google.com/search?q=unde..._baNnmQppNTwM:
Old 10-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
5851a

Watch a little before the 2 min mark on the insulation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3pECsn8WeQ
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Jwawhite

5851a, gonna commit some 5150 here, the instructions with the product read to mount the yellow side to the hood.....I didn't care for the fiberglass flakes coming off the product, so I sprayed glue around the circumference and a good portion on the yellow face, and mounted in the proper location. Just moved the car to its garage and it sounds quieter, can this be true? Will know in a few weeks when the car goes out again. Love the commercial! It looks as if the yellow is out front and was there a dark piece towards the radiator side of the hood?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
5851a

Those were the days. Watch a lot of the assembly plant videos and seems like I catch something new every time. It almost looks like the front underside is painted black, seems like all the hoods were body color on underside. Maybe a early release for commercials.

Last edited by 5851a; 10-29-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Had to go back and look at video.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #10
Daves55Sedan

JWA, I seem to recall that one angled corner of the insulation was visible near the middle, but can't remember which side of the air-cleaner it was on nor whether it was located at the front or back, but I do recall that the insulation was tucked in under the flange of that center brace. So if you begin with the placement of the pad at the back and press it on as you move forward, there should be a little left over at the front to tuck in under that flange. I suggest a dry trial fitting of the pieces prior to spraying the adhesive on to see how it might go.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:42 AM   #11
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
was there a dark piece towards the radiator side of the hood?
I've probably been under a few dozen different all factory '55/56 cars in my time and never saw any insulation forward of the center hood support. There was only the two pads at the back on each side of the air-cleaner.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #12
Jwawhite

Dave, I used the cut corners to mimic the cross support at the base of the hood. I did use the " lip" on the middle support to hold the front edge of the insulation, of course held with glue. It looks great and first impression, it helps with noise. I've been fixin' noises on this car, the quieter it gets, new ares of noise becomes apparent.