Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
DougVieyra

Default MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

There have been quite a few posts on this forum regarding negative reports about MAC'S Model A parts and service.

I have never ordered from MAC'S or had any dealings with them, I only have read all the negative comments here on the Forum. Today however, I did spend some time purusing their catalog, and I found it useful, informative and well laid out.

How about a thread that just relates the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

I have 6 Model A Fords and 90 % of my parts come from Macs. I have had minor problems but every one has been resolved satisfactorily. They also have the very best catalogue. Many of the people that criticize them are constant complainers or following the example of a group leader. Many frugile / cheap Barners want high quality for low price which rarely happens in a retail market. On the reverse side, if you are happy with your present vendor why change? Wayne.

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-11-2016 at 09:08 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
chrisabes

I've been getting all my spares through Mac's for the past 18 months and have not had any reason to change i generally receive my order within 10 days of sending my order, that is to Australia. Postage is very reasonable.
On a couple of occasions I have had to report a defective part and have had them replaced at no cost .
Their web site is easy to locate parts.
chrisabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #4
3.6rs

I placed orders 3 times in the last two months, first time I had my package within 3 days (placed order on friday evening/EU and received package on monday!) Second and third time it took longer because some parts weren't in stock and they did not email me about that. If I order something I need the parts to be shipped right away, I can not wait days/weeks for parts in back order. What they don't have I don't need, I will order at another supplier. Shipping prices for EU are the cheapest at Mac's.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Ted Duke

I have not ordered from them recently, but I have never had any problems they didn't solve quickly.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
180 a

Macs parts are not of good quality
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 a View Post
Thousands of satisfied customers totally disagree with you. What proof do you have to substantiate your blanket statement? Please note that the original post asked for no negative comments. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-11-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
prpmmp

Quote:
So who makes good parts? I'm not being argumentative,(Mitch will kick my arse)! How many different manufactures of parts are there? Don't most parts come from the same manufactures and then sold by different company's? Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
ModAfan

I have ordered from Mac's for several years and I have never had a reason to be dissatisfied.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Talking Re: MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

Quote:
Which of the thousands of parts they sell are you referring to or are you referring to all their parts in general. How many purchases have you made that you were unsatisfied with? Wayne
Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpmmp View Post
So who makes good parts? I'm not being argumentative,(Mitch will kick my arse)! How many different manufactures of parts are there? Don't most parts come from the same manufactures and then sold by different company's? Pete
Pete, therein lies the problem. Contrary to what most people think, it is companies like MACs who often duplicate an item that is already being manufactured ...and try to manufacture it with less quality and at a cheaper price. The reason they do that is because there are many hobbyists (-Fordbarner's included) who choose to buy the cheaper part without regard for quality. When they do, it makes it difficult for other manufacturers to make a profit, ....OR they do not choose to manufacture other new parts in a better quality. In addition to this, many people that purchase MACs or Specialized's parts often do not know how to distinguish a quality part over a poorly-manufactured one.

My suggestion is everyone steer clear of buying from MACs if you truly are interested in the quality of parts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
wrndln

This string could be fairly short if all the posts are from ONLY people satisfied with MAC's. I concur with Brent about MAC's - I wont go any farther than that even though I could. I would recommend doing a search here on Fordbarn for MAC's for a true and honest assessment of MAC's.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
There have been quite a few posts on this forum regarding negative reports about MAC'S Model A parts and service.

I have never ordered from MAC'S or had any dealings with them, I only have read all the negative comments here on the Forum. Today however, I did spend some time purusing their catalog, and I found it useful, informative and well laid out.

How about a thread that just relates the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion.
That lasted long
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
3.6rs

Quote:
Who will tell wich part comes from wich supplier ??
I had a unopened bag with parts ordered at Mac's but with the stamp from Snyders ! (see other thread)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
SeaSlugs

I do like thier catalog and the diagrams are nice and easy to read too. Cant say I've orders thru them though. To me the way I see it MACS is like the jcwhitney for model a parts while Snyders, brattons, etc are the specialty shops that you can call and they know what they are talking about.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
redmodelt

I've gotten items from them, no issue.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
Who will tell wich part comes from wich supplier ??
I had a unopened bag with parts ordered at Mac's but with the stamp from Snyders ! (see other thread)
I have received many parts from other suppliers that come in Mac's packaging. I've received many parts NOT in Mac's packaging from other suppliers that were unacceptable quality and/or not even close to original look/construction.

My guess is that if we succeed in driving Mac's out of business, many of our reproduced parts will disappear altogether, quality on some remaining ones will go down, and all prices will go up.

I suggest we order from our favorite supplier(s) and leave it at that. We are super fortunate to have ALL the suppliers we have.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

My guess is that if we succeed in driving Mac's out of business, many of our reproduced parts will disappear altogether, quality on some remaining ones will go down, and all prices will go up.

Definitely one way to look at it. On the other hand, some of those disappeared items may just return however this time offered in a better quality. Remember, --a manufacturer cannot make a good quality item when the competition is too great with an inferior product. A good example is shackles. I know of at least one manufacturer that was working on producing a good quality shackle however the pricing would be more than the India-made ones are. Too big of a chance with the $$ investment to offer a quality piece when folks seemingly want to buy the cheap ones.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
diomed

I ordered a cam thrust plunger and spring from them for $3.75. Shipping was $18 because they put it in a 12x4x4 box. It arrived quickly and was not damaged.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
mike657894

50/50 which is bad. some of the parts worked others were full failures. I bought a mirror to attach to the door. and it has zero resistance on the joint all flop no hold and i mean zero hold. and that is a "macs" product. I have had better luck with berts and mikes a fordable. mikes has low cost parts but i wasn't happy with the points set from mikes but with 20 min of bending and tuning they sit right but i would say buy points from somewhere else. I haven't tried Snyder yet. I ordered from tams but cant remember what it was so must have been ok. But in short macs sends shit products out for model a's and puts there name on the box they asked for the bad reputation they have.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
mike657894

second problem with macs. and i also suffered this from e-sarco but thats for another forum. I ordered all the parts to put on a used set of chrome bumper bars. bolts nuts spacers and clamps. my order didn't show up for 2 weeks I call and they say the spacers are on back order and will be in about 2 months. If you dont have it why was it listed on your site for sale? Why did it go into the cart? Why would you think I ordered something every supplier has but i will wait two summer months over a spacer? In todays fast paced ordering market. Sell what you have mark what is sold out. None of the other suppliers have tried to sell me futures in parts i need today.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #22
ronn

as Mitch said- what a disaster this thread became after only a few responses.

Like a bad marriage................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
as Mitch said- what a disaster this thread became after only a few responses.

Like a bad marriage................!
Should be a lesson to anyone running a biz. A bad experience will be shared 100 times a good one maybe 5.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Ryan deleted the last few Mac's threads,,, a very good possibility this one will follow. All that is needed is to do a search "Macs" to find the FEW good and MANY bad reports from the remaining threads / posts that are in the archives.

It seems more people from off our shores buy more from Mac's,, is that a correct statement???

If so why?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Definitely one way to look at it. On the other hand, some of those disappeared items may just return however this time offered in a better quality. Remember, --a manufacturer cannot make a good quality item when the competition is too great with an inferior product. A good example is shackles. I know of at least one manufacturer that was working on producing a good quality shackle however the pricing would be more than the India-made ones are. Too big of a chance with the $$ investment to offer a quality piece when folks seemingly want to buy the cheap ones.

I might be too much of a capitalist, but I would think that if there was a demand for better shackles at $50 instead of (or in addition to) the current ones at $25 that they would be produced. I don't think enough of us are willing to make the trade off. Your example helps illustrate this. It's not that we don't WANT higher quality parts. Of course we do. It's just that we won't pay for them.

I've looked very closely into producing sought after trim parts for Studebakers. Everyone clamors for them until they are told of the probable tooling and production costs and accompanying retail. Then the demand drops to the point that it is not economically feasible to make them and the whining continues.

I also don't believe that forcing high priced parts on our market by doing away with off shore producers will work too well. How many of us would stay in the hobby if parts prices went the way of those for C2 Corvettes? The parts would be beautiful. They would be exact copies of originals. They would price most of us out of the hobby if they were the only ones available.

One attraction of the Model A hobby for some (many?) of us is the low cost relative to other vintage cars and trucks. Driving a major supplier out of business that provides many parts to the other parts vendors won't help the hobby (IMHO).

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 12-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #26
C26Pinelake
BANNED

[B]obviously some Barners have an axe to grind. The old adage is if don't have something good to say please say nothing. The thread started with the suggestion that only positive commen a are welcome but some people either can't read or choose not to honor that request. Wayne
Old 12-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Unhappy Re: MAC's Model A parts and Service - Any Good Reports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
Should be a lesson to anyone running a biz. A bad experience will be shared 100 times a good one maybe 5.
[B]People like you turned it into a disaster by not honoring the request of the poster. You chose negativity at all costs.
Now that it has been destroyed by a few it us time for Ryan to delete the the entire thread. What a shame. Wayne/B]
Old 12-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #28
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I might be too much of a capitalist, but I would think that if there was a demand for better shackles at $50 instead of (or in addition to) the current ones at $25 that they would be produced. I don't think enough of us are willing to make the trade off. Your example helps illustrate this. It's not that we don't WANT higher quality parts. Of course we do. It's just that we won't pay for them.

I've looked very closely into producing sought after trim parts for Studebakers. Everyone clamors for them until they are told of the probable tooling and production costs and accompanying retail. Then the demand drops to the point that it is not economically feasible to make them and the whining continues.

I also don't believe that forcing high priced parts on our market by doing away with off shore producers will work too well. How many of us would stay in the hobby if parts prices went the way of those for C2 Corvettes? The parts would be beautiful. They would be exact copies of originals. They would price most of us out of the hobby if they were the only ones available.

One attraction of the Model A hobby for some (many?) of us is the low cost relative to other vintage cars and trucks. Driving a major supplier out of business that provides many parts to the other parts vendors won't help the hobby (IMHO).

I do have to say im here instead of on the h.a.m.b. because of readily available cheap repo parts. If parts were not available or really pricey it would have a 350 in it because the parts are cheap and they are everywhere. My draw to the model a was that this car was sitting and I would see it every time I was at grandpas. Slumbering in that garage under a ton of junk. If it was a desoto or nash or chevy or buick I would have the drive to make a workable car out of it. But I wouldn't scour the earth for head gaskets. I think I really started to notice it around age 13
Old 12-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #29
DougVieyra

This tread asked for ". . . the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that a goodly number of Forum members have a great difficulty in not 'bashing', even when the thread specifically ask to avoid 'beating a dead horse' with a regurgitation of past negative comments - all well known, and now becoming tiresome. I was specifically looking to hear from 'the other side', and was pleased to see that some brave souls did contribute to give a positive answer.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #30
RonC

I think MACs is the sole manufacturer of steering shafts, sectors and worms?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #31
Beauford

Quote:
second problem with macs. and i also suffered this from e-sarco but thats for another forum. I ordered all the parts to put on a used set of chrome bumper bars. bolts nuts spacers and clamps. my order didn't show up for 2 weeks I call and they say the spacers are on back order and will be in about 2 months. If you dont have it why was it listed on your site for sale? Why did it go into the cart? Why would you think I ordered something every supplier has but i will wait two summer months over a spacer? In todays fast paced ordering market. Sell what you have mark what is sold out. None of the other suppliers have tried to sell me futures in parts i need today.
Mike, I'm with you on that! I ordered a $200 steering wheel and it goes into the cart and then I get confirmation email and it wont come in till January?? WTH? I've had this with other items as well. Bratton's on the other hand you buy a column and worm, choose 3-7 day shipping and shows up the next day. Now that may be because I'm in VA but I have also talked to them on the phone and they are very knowledgeable and service friendly. I do have a lot of MAC parts that so far are good for just a driver project but I'm not made of money and this ride needs alot!!! I think with Bratton's I can have quality but save on the shipping. Just my .02
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #32
Beauford

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I think MACs is the sole manufacturer of steering shafts, sectors and worms?
Just got column / worm already pressed at Brattons.
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #33
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauford View Post
Just got column / worm already pressed at Brattons.
Just about every Model A parts supplier has this item. With the number of these that are sold in a year do you really believe each supplier tooled up and produced their own?

Mikes A-3524CW/DW $149

Battons 4950 $163

Snyders A-3524-43GW/GWR $158.95

Tams A-352443GW $158

Mac's A-3525CSW $150

Sacramento 00812-50/51 $169.95
Old 12-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #34
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
This tread asked for ". . . the positive reports of good parts and good service. Please - nothing negative on this particular thread - there have been plenty of the negative already reported - no need to beat a dead horse with a lot of redundancy. We all have read LOTS of bad reports about MAC'S, but now I would like hear only the GOOD side of the discussion."

It seems that a goodly number of Forum members have a great difficulty in not 'bashing', even when the thread specifically ask to avoid 'beating a dead horse' with a regurgitation of past negative comments - all well known, and now becoming tiresome. I was specifically looking to hear from 'the other side', and was pleased to see that some brave souls did contribute to give a positive answer.
Doug. Some people want to bash no matter what. Rather than allow them to hijack the thread, Ryan should remove their post or ban them. They serve no useful purpise and only hope to bring attention to themselves. They should be ashamed of themselves but they never are. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-13-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #35
1Metalbender

Ok I have a question, I have a rather lengthy "in cart" list going with macs...mostly hardware that I need for my closed cab probably not everything but what I could find nosing around their website...

That in mind, I called them the other day to make a order. I need hinge pins the most, so I wanted to speak to someone who knows these trucks better than me...I was told "you'll have to measure your hinges and tell us which ones you need..." Which I found odd so I didn't go any further...

I'm not trying to beat the horse here but I've never bought from macs or any other supplier...I'd like to buy EVERY fastener, screw, bolt, rivet, etc. needed for my truck at one time preferably in a lot of some sort...with all the bad press I'm reading here who would everybody recommend for the fasteners and gaskets? I'd like quality pieces as I only want to build this truck once and be done with it
1Metalbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #36
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

I suggest Mike's "A" Fordable Parts. http://www.mikes-afordable.com/SFNT.html

Or A&L, alas, no web presence but drop a dime and they will help you out. 1-860-693-0112
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #37
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The closest reproduction hardware chassis, etc... is Roy Naciewcz.
Fordbolts.com. Yes it costs more

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-11-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #38
bnchief

You also get what you pay for, I do not want parts i have to modify to make work.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #39
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
I suggest Mike's "A" Fordable Parts. http://www.mikes-afordable.com/SFNT.html

Or A&L, alas, no web presence but drop a dime and they will help you out. 1-860-693-0112
I have not had good luck with Mikes. Parts received were poor quality which I returned ( tool boxes ).
A&L are the best in the business. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-13-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #40
ian Simpson

I try to purchase most of my parts from Canadian suppliers to reduce shipping costs (do not get me started on the predatory practices of courier companies regarding international shipments). They purchase most of their stock from US sources. I am only interested in top quality, cost is not a concern. However, I cannot tell which is the best quality looking at indistinct pictures over the internet, therefore I have to rely on my suppliers.

I have connected with two Canadian suppliers I trust, and two US suppliers who I trust to fill in the gaps. The US suppliers are Snyders and Tams. The Canadian suppliers are George Moir of Stoney Plain, AB and The Old Car Centre of Langley, BC.

But as always, everything comes in twos: I will no longer accept any parts manufactured by Vintique or anything from Victoria British (off topic, an MGB parts supplier, sorry).

In short, it is tough to determine good quality from a distance without trustworthy suppliers. Also, you must be honest with your supplier and tell them the quality you expect.

I have used parts labelled as from Macs, and have never had a problem.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 12-11-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: poor grammmar
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #41
ALJ

Mac's catalog is the best one that I have seen. I am satisfied with the one order that I have placed with them.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
ALJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:36 AM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
That's real close to a quote my father would always say.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #43
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

"The good things nobody remembers, the bad things nobody forgets."
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #44
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
That's real close to a quote my father would always say.
he sounds like a smart guy
Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #45
mike657894

Quote:

a forum post is like a river it will go where it wants.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:41 AM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
a forum post is like a river it will go where it wants.
Rivers always flow downhill, and it didn't take long for this thread to go downhill.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:16 AM   #47
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Rivers always flow downhill, and it didn't take long for this thread to go downhill.
Yes Tom, a few individuals have their own agenda to attempt to bring attention to themselves. They want to look good at someone else's expense. It's always the same individuals. Wayne.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #48
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Isn't it a shame!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #49
Cool Hand Lurker

If you buy cheap, you get cheap.
Who the supplier is does not matter.
I have no problem with any supplier and can't tell you who I buy the most from.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #50
3.6rs

Another order arrived today from Mac's, with parts from Bratton's (starter contact).
Water pump rebuild kit in back order (I don't understand that these parts are not in stock, especially Model A water pump kit !)
Old 12-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #51
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Another order arrived today from Mac's, with parts from Bratton's (starter contact).
Water pump rebuild kit in back order (I don't understand that these parts are not in stock, especially Model A water pump kit !)
Did you call them? If you are not satisfied patronize another vendor instead of getting yourself all worked up. Why do you care whose package it is in ? Why don't you call before you order to see if it is in stock? Don't sweat the trivial things! Wayne
Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #52
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:

This is the way it is now in small business. You would not believe how many $$$$ a small business has in inventory on the shelf. They simply cannot afford to have cash tied up in products that do not move quickly. This means that they order the part from their supplier after they get an order at the counter. They are fortunate if they have a warehouse they can go to, but the warehouse has the same problem. I don't think that will change.
From the recent news about how Mac's is moving things around it is very likely that they are doing most of their business this way.
The times, they are a'changin'.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #53
Marshall V. Daut

As Archie Bunker replied to his meathead son-in-law's condescending remark ("Face it, Arch. The world is changing."): "And every time it changes, it kicks me in the butt." True. Very true. Most changes in the world are NOT for the better.
Marshall, eternal optimist
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #54
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
As Archie Bunker replied to his meathead son-in-law's condescending remark ("Face it, Arch. The world is changing."): "And every time it changes, it kicks me in the butt." True. Very true. Most changes in the world are NOT for the better.
Marshall, eternal optimist
I think you lost most of us. You were trying to say what?
Old 12-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #55
CYB4

Until today I got good parts by them, no problems at all. Also, a Snyders 5:5 Head and a MikesAFordable Oil-Filter with much cheaper freight rates to Europe than Snyders or Mikes.

So they deal also with quality parts.

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #56
Fred K-OR

I have ordered from all or most of the vendors including Mac's. I have had good results with Mac's as I have had with all the other vendors. But like mentioned above, their catalog is the best in the business.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:16 AM   #57
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
...Mac's ...their catalog is the best in the business.
But the problem is : they don't have it in stock.

Ship-From Part # Description Ordered Shipped Status Tracking
Whse 1 64-43680 Model A Parts Catalog 1 0 Back Ordered TBD - Pending Shipment
Old 12-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #58
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
But the problem is : they don't have it in stock.

Ship-From Part # Description Ordered Shipped Status Tracking
Whse 1 64-43680 Model A Parts Catalog 1 0 Back Ordered TBD - Pending Shipment
Did you ever think that possibly the new one is being introduced. If you are a customer you don't have to order, it is automatically sent to you. Were you ordering just a catalogue. Wayne
Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #59
eagle

Most of the people here on the fordbarn would complain if they were hung with a new rope! I have ordered a lot from macs and other suppliers. They have all been good to deal with and yeah, I've had a few issues, all were taken care of to my satisfaction. I own a small business, it's HARD trying to make some people happy, impossible for others. You really learn to appreciate the understanding customer when something goes wrong. If you call or email macs, they are very straightforward about specific parts quality or lack thereof. Use the brain you have and life gets much easier.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #60
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Most of the people here on the fordbarn would complain if they were hung with a new rope! I have ordered a lot from macs and other suppliers. They have all been good to deal with and yeah, I've had a few issues, all were taken care of to my satisfaction. I own a small business, it's HARD trying to make some people happy, impossible for others. You really learn to appreciate the understanding customer when something goes wrong. If you call or email macs, they are very straightforward about specific parts quality or lack thereof. Use the brain you have and life gets much easier.
[many of the complainers are not interested in resolution, they want recognition and exposure. Rather than call the vendor they head for the Fordbarn to make themselves look important. Instead they often end up looking like fools. Some are very good at it. Wayne. [/B]
Old 12-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #61
Dick Steinkamp

I've ordered from several Model A suppliers and had "out of stock" situations with all of them. When you think of the thousands of parts each supplier attempts to keep in stock, the order points, order up to levels and order lead times they have to SWAG for each part...then the accompanying variables in real life, PLUS the fact that if they set these parameters to ALWAYS be in stock no matter what, they would need too much money for inventory and too much building for storage for them to be profitable and stay in business.

What they all can do better (at least the ones I've dealt with) is how they handle stock outs with the customer. At the time the order is taken (phone or internet) the customer should know if the item is in stock or not so the customer can make a decision to wait or change suppliers. When the stock out is discovered during the order filling process (computer inventories are sometimes inaccurate) the customer should be called and notified. AND the follow up shipment when the part comes into stock should be at no additional charge to the customer if it was part of a bigger order that was shipped on time.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #62
Ted Duke

Bottom line. Mac's has been discussed enough. If you don't like what you hear, order from somewhere else, and ignore Mac's. Heck, order from as many as you can and keep them all happy.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #63
jm29henry

Isn't Mac now own and operated by echlers I could be wrong but I believe Mac sold out to them where as there are other supplier that are family owned and run ?🤔
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #64
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
Isn't Mac now own and operated by echlers I could be wrong but I believe Mac sold out to them where as there are other supplier that are family owned and run ?🤔
Why is ownership a factor when buying parts? Wayne
Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #65
SteveB31

Bert's, Snyders, Brattons and Mikes are all family owned. Bert's is 2 generation, Snyder's is 3rd and 4th generation, Brattons is 2nd generation, and Mike's is 1st and 2nd Generation. All 4 stock a huge inventory. All 4 own Model A's, and all 4 are quality people. I am one, and know the other three, and have known all of these folks for 30 years, and I know we all care about Model A Fords and Model A owners. We all make a living of of Model A Fords. We all make a profit selling you parts. We all have a huge investment in time and money in making and stocking the parts you need to restore and maintain them.

My point is , we are here for you. And you are here for us. None of these 4 companies I have mentioned are huge companies. We all employ people. We all have to pay salaries, health insurance (ouch) and taxes. We all spend a lot of time and money making parts so we can enjoy these great cars. We all wish we could make perfect parts, but we have to balance the costs of these parts to the prices that will be paid for them.

We are fortunate in this hobby to have a car to enjoy that doesn't cost $50K to buy or own. Most of us would not have one if they were that costly.

Buy parts from those who you trust will be there to back them up. Buy parts from those who give you what you want in a timely manner. Don't buy from those who don't give you what you want. Ask questions. If you don't get an answer, or don't like the answer, ask your friends where they buy and if they are pleased. All of these 4 companies care.
I know they do, because I know all these guys. Do we always please everyone? No. That is not possible. But, I know we all try, because it is how we make our living. Oddly enough, I think all of the above folks I mentioned, even enjoy what we do- we do get to deal with a pretty good bunch of guys everday.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #66
Pickupman

Steve, Very well said. I do believe that A&L Parts should be mentioned as one of these vendors. They are a 2nd generation family owned business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
Bert's, Snyders, Brattons and Mikes are all family owned. Bert's is 2 generation, Snyder's is 3rd and 4th generation, Brattons is 2nd generation, and Mike's is 1st and 2nd Generation. All 4 stock a huge inventory. All 4 own Model A's, and all 4 are quality people. I am one, and know the other three, and have known all of these folks for 30 years, and I know we all care about Model A Fords and Model A owners. We all make a living of of Model A Fords. We all make a profit selling you parts. We all have a huge investment in time and money in making and stocking the parts you need to restore and maintain them.

My point is , we are here for you. And you are here for us. None of these 4 companies I have mentioned are huge companies. We all employ people. We all have to pay salaries, health insurance (ouch) and taxes. We all spend a lot of time and money making parts so we can enjoy these great cars. We all wish we could make perfect parts, but we have to balance the costs of these parts to the prices that will be paid for them.

We are fortunate in this hobby to have a car to enjoy that doesn't cost $50K to buy or own. Most of us would not have one if they were that costly.

Buy parts from those who you trust will be there to back them up. Buy parts from those who give you what you want in a timely manner. Don't buy from those who don't give you what you want. Ask questions. If you don't get an answer, or don't like the answer, ask your friends where they buy and if they are pleased. All of these 4 companies care.
I know they do, because I know all these guys. Do we always please everyone? No. That is not possible. But, I know we all try, because it is how we make our living. Oddly enough, I think all of the above folks I mentioned, even enjoy what we do- we do get to deal with a pretty good bunch of guys everday.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #67
J Franklin

I Have had no problems with Mac's
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #68
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post

Just my 2 cents!!!

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center

Many of the largest and best companies in the world are not family owned! To suggest the criteria for patronizing a company is determining ownership in my opinion is ludicrous.
You state that you deal with the other three companies. Does that mean the four of you do not deal with Macs?
Also if you re read the original post comments were to be positive comments about Macs and not a billboard for the other companies to take a backhanded swipe at Macs. I must say your tactics concerning this matter do not impress me. I will in the future exclude Berts from the parts selection process. Wayne
Old 12-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #69
BILL WILLIAMSON

If you have a Supplier you're HAPPY with, STICK WITH THEM! It's NOT our job to try to "DESTROY" someones' BUSINESS!---(GEEZ!)
Bill W.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #70
Smooth_One

Sorry to add to you guy's misery but I have purchased a few parts from Macs the only complaint I have about them is the outrageous shipping costs.
The other parts have come from either Snyder's or Battlefield.
But again I have to agree that pretty much the only reason I started buying from Macs is because of how good their catalog is and it attracts your attention obviously.
Smooth_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #71
SeaSlugs

yea Macs does have the best catalog i will agree with that.

The shipping costs are what get me sometimes. Especially since we all know the cost of the flat rate envelopes and boxes from USPS - it shouldn't cost much more than that to ship things!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #72
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
yea Macs does have the best catalog i will agree with that.

The shipping costs are what get me sometimes. Especially since we all know the cost of the flat rate envelopes and boxes from USPS - it shouldn't cost much more than that to ship things!
Ask for shipping costs at the time you place the order. If outrageous cancel the order, the choice is yours. Wayne
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #73
5window

I have ordered quite a few products from Mac's and been satisfied every time. Shipping costs are a pain all around, but that's not always the vendor's fault. You might imagine that most of these old car parts are made by the lot, not by the piece, so sometimes it takes a while for another lot to be manufactured. I agree one should be notified when apart is backordered,but I think Model A owners have become very complacent in their expectations that everything you want should be readily available. There are 100's of different makes of cars of the same vintage for which nothing is readily available.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote