Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #21
modelAsteve

Default Re: Volvo vs. Mitchell Over-Drive - who has what?

Love my Volvo!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #22
larrys40

Like Tom Endy I run a Ryan in my '30 Tudor and it is a fine unit. I have driven it to Colorado, Canada, Michigan, and many other states. Been up Pikes Peak with it.
I run a 3:54 gear set with 23% Ryan overdrive. It makes it a good around town car and a great highway cruiser as well.

If you can find one used I would snatch it up in a heartbeat for the right price.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Jason in TX

I love my Volvo Overdrive.

I do love the F150 4 speed conversion and would buy one in a heart beat...

However, we did the Durango Colorado tour last year. We had the Volvo and a 1939 transmission. Other cars had the F150 4 speed.

We were passing all the cars with the F150 4 speed because we were able to split gears. We used 2nd gear with the Overdrive on going through most of the mountain passes. it was great. Lots of power, lower RPMs than regular 2nd.

I would go with a torque tube Overdrive and a synchromesh trans vs the locked in OD that the F150 trans provides.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #24
Dave in MN

I have a Mitchell in our touring car. I use 3rd gear and overdrive quite a bit when on the freeway in Minnesota. 2nd gear and overdrive is great in the mountains. I have about 80,000 miles on the Mitchell and have only changed the gear lube. It is highly reliable. The installation was a 1/2 day project in my own shop.

I have no experience with a Volvo OD other than driving a car with one about 10 years ago for a short time. As I recall, the shifting was not as precise.

Both were very quiet when in operation.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
Herb Concord Ca

My '31 Roadster P/U has BW since 1998. With a 33% step up it's great for a light car/truck.
My '31 Slant T/S has a Volvo built by Rich Little has been in 2 Model A's so, first installed in 2002. Works great!
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #26
norcalal

I have a ryan OD missing one cast piece that I tossed, not knowing what it was will sell for reasonable offer. lfi (408) 354-3875
norcalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #27
Tanglfoot

I am with Dick M I believe the Mitchel and the Volvo/Laycock are excellent units-both seem to be bullet proof the only difference is in the shifting and price. One has an extra lever in the cab for shifting. The Laycock changes with the flick of a switch attached to the gearlever just like an auto and very easy for splitting gears. Down here a Mitchel costs about $3500.00 compared to about $1800.00 to have a Laycock fitted (Sorry as you say fit) Mitchel have a number of ratios available where the Laycock/Volvo is mostly 25% with some at 28%.

From a very wet and cold Mangawhai NZ.
Tanglfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #28
blgitn

Would the Volvo/Laycock be able to handle use in an AA?
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #29
31a

I have three Mitchells and am very pleased with them. I had a Borg-Warner and replaced it with a Mitchell like the Mitchell much better. I agree the OD is a very good addition to the Model A. In my experience the OD did not increase the top speed.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #30
DougVieyra

31 A: " In my experience the OD did not increase the top speed."

Of course, we all understand that an O.D. allows the same speed at a much lower Engine RPM than a stock system, and I do notice that.

But 31A, now that you mention it, even though the Mitchell O.D. is theoretically supposed to give a noticeably higher top-end speed, I do not know IF my Mitchell actually does that.

I am handicapped in doing an 'evaluation' because of the specially-built Ron Kelly 'Touring Engine' that powers my Dlx '31 Coupe. With it's Stromberg carburation/manifold, F.S. Electronic Ignition, Exhaust Headers opened up, etc., etc., the car just goes FAST and POWERFUL. And while it does reach a comfortable cruising speed of 60 mph, so does my stock '28 Phaeton.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #31
31Abone

I have a Columbia in ny 30 pickup very good service..you can have your mitchells
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #32
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
...I am handicapped in doing an 'evaluation' because of the specially-built Ron Kelly 'Touring Engine' that powers my Dlx '31 Coupe. With it's Stromberg carburation/manifold, F.S. Electronic Ignition, Exhaust Headers opened up, etc., etc., the car just goes FAST and POWERFUL ...[/I][/B]
I also have all these amenities. My current handicap is that I still have about 250 miles to go before my engine builder (Ron Kelley) will permit me go over 50mph or to use my Overdrive. (my OD is not a Volvo or Mitchell, but is a Ford Tremec RTS, which I am chomping at the bit to use with my new engine).
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #33
Tanglfoot

Blgitn,I have a friend who is running a Laycock in his A behind an 8BA with no problems.

The older you get the better you were.
Tanglfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #34
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Based on available power, and the rpms where that max power is made, intelligent choices can be made about what kind of transmission and rear end gearing will best enable use of that power.
http://www.modelaparts.net/dynosheet...ynosheets.html
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #35
barkleydave

I guess I might be old school. While I did improve brakes with cast iron and safety with 12V for lighting etc. I guess if you are looking for more speed and are willing to spend the bucks on overdrives (none even close to orig.), why mess with the underpowered model A engine? At what point have you crossed the line and now have entered the "Custom Car" arena? Just asking...
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #36
Fred A

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
I guess I might be old school. While I did improve brakes with cast iron and safety with 12V for lighting etc. I guess if you are looking for more speed and are willing to spend the bucks on overdrives (none even close to orig.), why mess with the underpowered model A engine? At what point have you crossed the line and now have entered the "Custom Car" arena? Just asking...
"Custom car" is an unusual way of describing it, but I think of an overdrive as an other adapter to bring the 85+ year old car into the next century, in the same spirit as the safety mods like brakes and lights. None being "even close to orig." is to assume a modification is intended to be original. Crossing the line is where there is no return, as I did when I cut my perfect frame to lower the rear. During all those 85 years, the Model A went through many phases, all historically significant. More than 60 years ago at the peak of overdrive popularity, Borg-Warners were being grafted into Ford drivetrains. Drive those old cars! Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #37
ccb360

'29 TS + Mitchell OD = a great touring car!
ccb360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #38
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgitn View Post
Would the Volvo/Laycock be able to handle use in an AA?
The Volvo/Laycock overdrive is now serviced by GearVendors and they use these similary if not the same technology in 2000HP race cars, rock crawlers, fleet vehicles, 4x4 equipment, etc. It's a good solid unit. I think you would have no problems with one spliced into the torque tube of your AA.

https://www.gearvendors.com/
Old 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #39
DougVieyra

Within the spirit of 'controversy', when all the 'dust' has settled, it must be said that at the very bottom of the discussion there is the fact that using an over-drive, does for the most part, reduce engine RPMs for the same driving speed as a non-O.D. engine. As such, it would seem to me (a non-mechanic) that the reduced RPMs should help increase engine life, while still giving good motive power. That is to say, an O.D. gives the same speed as a non O.D., with significantly reduced engine RPM, hence (all things being equal) longer engine life.

Of course, all things are seldom equal, so in the long run, perhaps it really does not matter. But if nothing more than psychological, I REALLY enjoy having a Mitchel Over Drive in my '31 Dlx Coupe. And 65 years ago I enjoyed having a Columbia Rear End in my '28 Sedan.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #40
Jason in TX

Reduces engine RPM, prolonging engine life AND saving gas.

There is an ROI case that can be made for purchasing one.