Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
corvette8n

Default Stash of flathead's in PA.?

Looks like the old guy is selling some of his collection.
https://youtu.be/emIXDF5x6Ds
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Stash of flathead's in PA.?

Yes. Irontrap is from Reading, PA and has been posting a lot of these motors on Instagram
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #3
JWL
Member Emeritus

Kudos to the younger guy for helping with that "clean-up". A major stash of stuff.

Thanks for the look.

JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
RKS.PA

Wish I had known about Irontrap when I lived back there. This young man seems to really know his stuff and I like the "projects" he's got in that local "stone" barn/shop!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
IronTrap

Thanks for the share and kind words guys! Having fun playing with old Fords! Lots of good stuff still hidden in these parts! If anyone needs a core for rebuilding let me know. I also have a lot of mechanical parts, NOS Sheet metal, and other stuff I've been uncovering in his buildings. Going to take a longggg time to uncover it all.
IronTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Ol' Ron

I've been following Irontrap for the past few years and I think they 're fabrication vidios are great, great ideas and learned allot. Looking at that pile of blocks reminds me of when I started " Nostalgia Engines" Had dozens of them in the yard. Today each one of them are worth a thousand bucks apiece, all they have to provide is: a good Block, crank and rods. all the rest of the "Stuff" is available, at a reasonable price. LB blocks and cranks might be worth more. Be a great training aid for some young guys to learn about Flatheads.
Keep up the good work guys
Ol Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I've been following Irontrap for the past few years and I think they 're fabrication vidios are great, great ideas and learned allot. Looking at that pile of blocks reminds me of when I started " Nostalgia Engines" Had dozens of them in the yard. Today each one of them are worth a thousand bucks apiece, all they have to provide is: a good Block, crank and rods. all the rest of the "Stuff" is available, at a reasonable price. LB blocks and cranks might be worth more. Be a great training aid for some young guys to learn about Flatheads.
Keep up the good work guys
Ol Ron

Hi Ron:

I agree about Irontrap. Love what he is doing!

I have to disagree on your price estimated. IF the blocks were checked first, $1,000 all day long.

Without being checked, $100-$300 with $300 being the most.

I just went through 5 blocks to find one good one. All complete, all were supposedly good and obviously that didn't work out to well.

One gentlemen did offer a money back guarantee which I am grateful for.

Considering the time it takes to tear down a rusty, stuck flathead, the price needs to be reasonable or offer a money back deal if anyone is to pay $1,000 for an unknown condition motor.

$1,000 would be for a bare, known to be good block needing to be machined.

3 3/4" cranks are like cord wood in the flathead world. I gave away three of the ones from the 5 I tore down. One had a 4" in it so I gave that to my friend who gave me the good the block.

There is a complete, but unknown and NOT stuck 59AB that the gentlemen keeps going lower on. Started at $750, I keep saying no. It's down to $500 and I'm still baulking. $300 is my limit after going through my recent ordeal.

Removing head studs on one of the tear downs took me more than 15 hours and three bottles of Oxy/acetylene
Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
RKS.PA

Knowing something about winter temperatures in this part of PA, I'd be a little worried that any water left in a block stored outside could be a serious problem. So, as noted above, seems like it might be an opportunity for Irontrap to get into a "block certification" business?
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:22 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

Tim, I said a GOOD bolck, crank and rods. I would like a coupla good late ford cranks for 100 bucks. I have several good 59 cranks
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Boy - too bad all these engines sat outside, weren't sealed up, etc. --- personally, I wouldn't touch any of them . . . just so much work, only to find out you don't have a good block. I give him credit though - would rather see somebody try to save them, than just pitch them.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
G.M.

I have a few old Fords in Pa. I am going to sell. 32 Ford
original no rust steel body with a Corvette engine tranny
and rear. This is an original 50"s hot rod. 39 convertible
sedan with Columbia rear, good driver. 39 convertible
coupe pretty nice.and a Low mileage DeLorean. G.M.
[email protected]
Old 06-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Ziggster

Nice. I recently subscribed to his channel. I feel incredibly blessed to have picked my C69 block up very cheap with no big issues.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
ursus

Old Ford parts on the ground under tarps isn't the best storage plan. I recall an old guy who had gathered an immense collection that he covered with a vast spread of tarps that advanced for almost an acre as the inventory grew. For a long time he was reluctant to sell anything but, with rapidly failing health, he finally relented. By then the accumulation of dampness under the tarps on acid soil resulted in a rust encrusted mass of parts too far gone to interest anybody. His heirs had it all hauled off as scrap. He once had some really nice stuff...
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #14
cas3

yup, i think about it every time i see some ones "pride and joy, not for sale " project car all bundled up in tarps in the back yard for years. constant 100% humidity under the tarp
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #15
RalphM

Yes, that worried me too when I heard the part on the video about moving everything out of dry storage to under tarps. Although it might make them a lot harder to disassemble I don’t think it will hurt the blocks. I’ve heard plenty of stories of guys that purposely store blocks/ cranks outside to “season” them before any machining.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
IronTrap

Thanks for the replies guys. It really is a sad situation as my friend had them ALL stored inside in a big barn on his old property and then inside a 40 foot trailer until the township cracked down and said he couldn't have any storage trailers on the property and he had to remove the trailers within a short period of time. He was forced to set them on pallets on the ground under tarps and other things got in the way of doing anything with these.

To be clear, my friend trusts me and I've proven my knowledge on the values of this stuff and we've been selling them for a reasonable 250-300 a block as "cores". After I dug the first 10-15 engines out he quickly realized they weren't as "good" as he remembered. I don't have the time to check or certify any of these and really I'm just trying to do a favor for a fellow early Ford nut. I haven't hardly taken anything home for myself as I have SO MUCH myself I'm trying to resist ending up with all of this stuff at my place haha.

I will start to put some ads up here on the Barn with some parts we're uncovering that are stored in some of his buildings as they will be good to get out to other guys still working on these cars.

Many of the parts are 1941 Ford, 1935-36 Ford Pickup, and 1946-1948 Ford. There is very little 32-34 stuff and almost no Model A. He will have a 46-48 Coupe with a SBF for sale soon that is a project car, but otherwise no vehicles right now.

Thanks for everyone that commented and watched, we're having fun digging this stuff out and building up old cars!

-Matt/EW
Old 06-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #17
IronTrap

Double Post Sorry.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #18
Tim Ayers

Thank you for all of your efforts, Matt. I'm sure out of the bunch, there will be some good ones.

You're doing the right thing by helping your buddy out and getting these parts into the hands of those who need them.

Think of the work out your getting by doing this! Haha.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #19
IronTrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Thank you for all of your efforts, Matt. I'm sure out of the bunch, there will be some good ones.

You're doing the right thing by helping your buddy out and getting these parts into the hands of those who need them.

Think of the work out your getting by doing this! Haha.
Haha I'm getting a workout AND an education. I have learned a lot about part numbers, NOS parts, and lots of other stuff from helping out guys like this. It's the best way to learn, put in the work, ask questions, and soak it all up!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:54 AM   #20
flatford8

Your a good man for helping him out and assuring he gets some value for his collection.....the good feeling you get for helping is priceless!!!....I’ve started watching your videos...Thanks!!!.....I really enjoy them....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote