Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Wagga A'er

Default Oil Pump

Can anyone describe the differences in the oil pump housings?

I have;
1. one with a smaller hole approx half way up the shaft and a larger hole at the top with a solid gear shaft
2. and another one with just one hole at the top and a gear shaft the has been machined out in the middle section. This one came from my engine that is an earlier one. Hand brake on the side.

Are these pumps and gear shafts interchangeable and can they be used in my engine?

Thanks

Dave
Wagga A'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Oil Pump

If you mean a small hole "half way up the shaft", the hole is between the gears and the flange, don't use it as that just dumps oil back into the pan. I've never seen one like this. Later pumps had the shaft turned down between the bushings but this is not necessary. I do that on my pumps, I also open the holes near the top (hopefully) for more flow. The very early pumps were different, but all other A & B pumps very similar, and interchangeable.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
PC/SR

A friend has an oil pump with a 1/8" NPT tap, same as into the oil galley on the outside of the block, between the gear housing and the block flange. I thought it could be used as a source of oil pressure for the center main. But as I think about it I would be leery of pump vibration eventually cracking the oil delivery pipe to the center main. Any experience on this out there?
I have also seen a couple of pumps with the B type nardrow shaft, but no housing above the engine flange, ie, no upper bushing. What's up with that?
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
columbiA

Early oil pumps Have a smaller bore between the bushings & used an under cut shaft If the later pump shaft that is not under cut between the bushings is used in an early hsg,there will not be enough room for full oil flow to outlet of pump.Best to use the 30-31 pump or a B pump & junk the early one.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

PC/SR, I've seen that done and think it a good idea as it gets oil quicker to the canter main on start-up and added oil when running. A short line like is needed won't vibrate enough to fatigue, you could also use steel line if you were concerned about cracking.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Dodge

or use a steel braided line it can vibrate and not break
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote