Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Grumpy Rick

Default Electric fuel pump on '55 Bird

I would like to put an electric pump on my 55 T-Bird. I start it seldom and the carb is usually dry. The Carter 4070 mentioned in another thread by JeffB2 looks pretty good. My Auto Zone guy tells me a small inline pump he has works well also.

Is the Carter OK with new fuels? What pressure does it pump. Jeff mentions needing a pressure regulator with the Edelbrock. Why and which one?

Any experience with the more modern inline pumps? I don't know any specs on the Auto Zone one, but it is about $40 or so.

Finally, any thoughts on just using the electric pump and eliminating the mechanical one. Just remembered, maybe the wipers work off it, haven't looked at that.

Sorry about the shotgun approach, but I have not worked on Y blocks since 1961. I have a '56 Vicky, but it has a 302 in it.
Grumpy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Electric fuel pump on '55 Bird

Yes the oem style mechanical fuel pump could/should have a booster for the wipers. Depends on what a previous owner did. You can leave the mechanical pump in place and just use an electric one to fill the carb after it's been sitting.
That will also leave the booster for the wipers in place if you get caught in the rain. The vac booster fittings on the pump are usually labeled, so I'll guess a previous owner of this one wasn't paying attention.
Most electric fuel pumps work better when mounted closer to the fuel tank, rather than near the engine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump wiper fitting, copy.jpg (60.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg wiper vaccum lines bkwrds.jpg (45.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-29-2017 at 06:48 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
JeffB2

This is the Mr Gasket pump AutoZone sells note ratings of 41% that gave it a 1 because of a high failure rate. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-12S...3?pageNumber=3 Because of limited space use this between the tank and the pump,it uses a bronze element you can take out and clean rather than paper which can degrade and clog and burn out a pump. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-645080/overview/

Last edited by JeffB2; 03-25-2017 at 01:19 PM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
okiedokie

My experience has been not good with the inline pumps. Easy to install and replace, which is good because I did that often. I had them in my F100 and a 46 coupe with 302's. Changed each to Carter 4070's, no more problems.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
Grumpy Rick

I am gonna order the Carter P4070 today.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Rick View Post
I am gonna order the Carter P4070 today.

Thanks
The 4070 is 12 V, jfyi. Stock '55 Fords are 6 V.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
The 4070 is 12 V, jfyi. Stock '55 Fords are 6 V.
true enough but, from a previous post...
Quote:
My '55 Bird has the original 292 motor with an aftermarket Edelbrock carb, and has been converted to 12V.......

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 AM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Just my .02 cents, I would keep the mechanical pump and add an electric pump just to run for a few seconds to fill the carb float chamber after the engine has been sitting for a long time. Two reasons; first, since the electric pump would see very limited use, I would think that it would last indefinitely possibly. Second, if you only knew what a can of worms you might be diving into by changing to a non-stock pump. The output fuel pressure MUST not exceed the limitations of your teapot carb. If the fuel pressure output of the pump is too high, it will overcome the carb inlet needle and cause flooding. Then you are looking at adding yet another device to fix that, namely a fuel pressure regulator, for which you have to figure out where and how to mount and re-pipe. In the past, I have had very bad luck with even the best of brand names that make regulators. If highway driving is involved, you will be putting a lot of constant stress on the rubber diaphragm in the reg and they just don't last.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
true enough but, from a previous post...
Thanks. I either missed or forgot that.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
blucar

I have been running electric fuel pumps, in an aux mode on every old car, RV and boat since 1952.
Improves starting when the vehicle has been sitting for awhile, eliminates a vapor lock on a hot day and generally is cheap insurance to avoid fuel pump failure.
As a general rule the fuel pump should be located close to the fuel tank, electric pumps push better than they pull. It is also advisable to install a disposable fuel filter in the line before the electric pump.
It is recommended that an oil pressure switch be installed in the power source which prevents the electric pump from working if the engine is not running, however, the oil pressure switch eliminates the option to use the electric pump to improve starting when the vehicle has been sitting for a prolonged period.
***I generally use a toggle switch that has a light in the end or in the dash to alert me that the electric pump is on.
I have found that the Carter inline rotary pump works very well, this pump is sold by NAPA P74019, Car Quest E8012S. The pump works well with mechanical pumps, allowing fuel to be pulled through the electric pump for normal operation. DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THE PUMP PICTURE ON THE BOX.. It is a one size fits all packaging.
Care must be taken to make sure you purchase a pump that is friendly with modern alcohol based fuels. In the last couple of years I have had to replace the electric pumps on every vehicle I own.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Just my .02 cents, I would keep the mechanical pump and add an electric pump just to run for a few seconds to fill the carb float chamber after the engine has been sitting for a long time. ..... The output fuel pressure MUST not exceed the limitations of your teapot carb. If the fuel pressure output of the pump is too high, it will overcome the carb inlet needle and cause flooding. ......
Before I took my barely driveable '55 Bird apart I had 2 fire extinguishers in the car, one behind each side of the seat. Yes your teapot carb was replaced with an Edelbrock and I've replaced mine with a Holley from a '57 Bird, and old fuel lines were replaced. But the extinguishers will be staying behind the seat once it's on the road again.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
mike42

As far as Mr Gasket fuel Reg is concerned......be careful as I had a serious situation a couple summers ago. Reg went bad because of modern fuel and I had gas spraying all over the place ! I then found out the bad Rep it was given. I went with a Holly and not a drop in 3 years now !
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #13
Daves55Sedan

The Mr Gasket regulators are pure junk and don't last any time at all. I've had a top of the line Holley regulator with all the bells and whistles go bad in a month of use.
You gotta watch out for the specs on these new replacement type fuel pumps. 5-7 psi output was waaay too much for the Holley 1bbl on my 223. I wound up having to discard the regulators altogether and go with an orifice ahead of carb and a bypass fuel line all the way back to the tank. That solved the problem, but you have a much easier fix available to you.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
mobileparts

I have the original 1955 T Bird -- Dual Action Fuel Pump -- BRAND NEW With Ethanol Gas Compatible Material....
Brand New with No Core Required / No return Shipping...

You are welcome to call me --Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 .... New York....
mobileparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
bobioknight

I have a 57 and just installed the electric fuel pump, it is rated 2.5 - 4 of pressure, my stock put out 4. So it is good for my Holley without a regulator. I plan on using it intermittently after she sits too long to prime the engines pump, lines and carb. I mounted it midway against the frame away from engine heat, there was a fitting joining the lines near a crossmember protecting the pump. I used all new metal lines, up to the engines pump (glad I did too, found a badly smashed section of fuel line), added a toggle switch under the dash so no one sees it.

Last edited by bobioknight; 04-02-2017 at 12:44 PM.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Kahuna

Bob
What make of pump is that?
Thanks
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #17
bobioknight

Hey Jim, it is an airtex E8016S

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8016s
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 AM   #18
Grumpy Rick

Sorry, deleted duplicate post.

Last edited by Grumpy Rick; 04-06-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 AM   #19
Grumpy Rick

Just thought I would update this thread, along with my 'T-Bird stalling' thread.

Got my Carter 4070 today, and hope to install it next week. I will put it back near the tank. I am undecided about how to hook it up. I could put a switch to use it only when the carb is dry from sitting, or I may just hook it up the the ignition.

Any reason not to run it along with the mechanical pump??

Oh BTW, the mechanical pump does have the wipers going through it.

Thanks for all the replies and info, guys.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #20
dmsfrr

Quote:
..... Got my Carter 4070 today, and hope to install it next week. I will put it back near the tank. I am undecided about how to hook it up. I could put a switch to use it only when the carb is dry from sitting, or I may just hook it up the the ignition.
Any reason not to run it along with the mechanical pump??
Put a fuse in the wire for it right at the source for its power, to protect the whole run of wire.
If you intend to only use it to fill the carb after sitting you could use a momentary / push button switch powered off of the 'run' position of the ignition switch.
As long as your mech pump is working good there's no reason to run it all the time, and it should last longer too.
If it's on a toggle switch wired to the ignition switch give some thought to what might happen in an accident if the electric fuel pump kept running.
An oil pressure safety switch or a fuel pump inertia switch, from a later model salvage yard Ford, would be a good idea. (I don't know what year's to look for / would be best.)

I was trying to think of something super simple, without having to add a handful of extra parts: switches, plumbing, indicator lights, whatever... and thought of having the power for the elect fuel pump come from the 'start' position of the ignition key switch or the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid. But then it wouldn't pump until the engine was cranking. It might or might not be enough, and would come on every time.
Since the weather here is pretty decent most of the year I'm hoping my '55 won't be sitting for long periods of time, and am leaning toward a push button switch IF it needs an elect pump.

Usually a mechanical and electric pump in the same line don't bother each other, sometimes it depends on the internal construction of the elect pump.

Oil pressure safety switch...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1438

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-07-2017 at 08:30 AM.