Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2023, 05:10 PM   #1
Randy Monroe

Default 8ba fuel pump install on a 34

Hello all brand new to this so her goes bought my first 34 flat motor car ..got it to run seems ok not a lot of power but goes to 54 mph ? motor is running on a elect. pump now but would like to install a mech pump also have been finding parts but see I have NO room at the fire wall motor has a offy manifold with 3 97s so it tight and I see a alum plug down the hole to the cam dont know how to remove for the new bushing any ideas?
thanks Randy:
Randy Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 05:28 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 8ba fuel pump install on a 34

What year flatmotor are you working on? Is it a stock 1934 V8?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:34 PM   #3
cas3

He say's its an 8ba. I would drill into the plug and tap threads in there and pull with a slide hammer. adapt a small tube to your shop vac and suck up the shavings. Its aluminum, really wouldn't kill it if you missed a bit, but get as clean as you can. Maybe clean it first with starting fluid so its dry and shavings will not stick to oil.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:40 PM   #4
Randy Monroe

oHi John Its a late model 8ba 49/52 type with offty heads and manifold I got this car from a local that was going to a home and needed the funds some one else was trying to work!! him on selling so I steped up to help both of use..the motor was never started but had been rebuilt by a local builder that has since passed and its been a real problem to find flathead people that arent DEAD lol lol around here it had a mallory dist. that died on me on the road so got another from speedway I am not a orig. mined person but like to drive around to shows etc. Irun it without the hood just for flatty motor lol
sorry I go on and on about this car
Old 11-04-2023, 08:56 PM   #5
tubman

I've never had to do it, but I believe the answer to your firewall clearance problem is to disassemble the pump and "clock" the two parts to a position where it clears.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
Randy Monroe

yea I did that and still rubbs bigtime at the firewall..is there another mount that is clocked more?? this one is the orig. item found on line... my guestion is the motor to big? sounds dumb I know, but when people look at it they seem to just stare?? it does have a elect. fan that I had to make fit and is real tight but the front m.m. are in the stock pos.but they have the mount as part of the water pump (truck type)? the previous guy did a lot of odd things and have been going threw stuff to get to run and stop and not have people run me over lots of crazys up here in washington st been having to drive on the back streets because its just to slow only 53 mph other guestion is how much rpms can this motor run 2600 rpms now ... its a fresh rebuild ie. cam, pistons I droped the pan to see looks good ,,offy heads and manifold,headers new exhaust system... I did have change a head gasket and found that theblock has been cut away only on one of valves?? the rebuiler guy did sum land speed stff as the story goes I do have the cam card Like I said I dont kow much about flatys
Old 11-05-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

53 mph?? , my model A stock goes 67, the 39 with stock 60 hp (132 cu in) would do 74, the 46 big truck would do over 65 with a 2 ton load, I don’t think a fuel pump will cure your speed problems, post some pictures of what you have
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #8
Randy Monroe

Hi Kurt I have a worn 3speed box that pops out going down hills etc, and a bango rear I hear it might be a 410?? but Iam not sure ,,15 in wheels I do have a t5 on the floor but will everything to come out maybe go with a more modern rear, so I may try to keep up with hondas on the freeway lol ....do you know what a good rpm is for this flatty currently 2600 rpms for 54 mph just dont know what is ok ...dont what to blow things up.. I put leds on the back so people will stay back sum its crazy how people drive around here
Old 11-05-2023, 07:03 PM   #9
cas3

Check to see if the nut on the front of the crankshaft is where it would line up with the hand crank. I the front is too high, you lose clearance for the pump
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:52 PM   #10
19Fordy

Make sure you use the correct length fuel pump push rod for your 8BA.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:50 PM   #11
Randy Monroe

I bought the long one that is what speedway said that goes with a8ba 49/53 and I will tac weld the piviot aem that the push tube attaches ( the stuff they sell nowadays) the crank can be seen thru the hole in the grill
the car came to me with a fuel pump stantion for a early type
this is a old 60s hot rod with lots of odd things I would sent a picture but have not figured how (old fart)
Old 11-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #12
19Fordy

That 4:10 rear end will greatly reduce your top highway speed. Keep in mind what the top highway speed in 1934 was in most communities. If you lived in very hilly mountainous regions 4:10 gear ratio would be ok as not a lot of top end speed required. Today, something like a 3:78 rear would be ok.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:53 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

Having fought with fuel pumps for over 50 years, I've come to believe the intank pumps of our modern cars have solved the problem. Relatively inexpensive and including a gauge output. They never seem to fail. Takes alittle thought to put one in your tank.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 04:02 PM   #14
Randy Monroe

Hello Ron when I got the car i had been on a rack for years with a cover over ..came over one day and say it......thought it was a 4 door something... but he said he was looking to sell it so I stepped up but got it home and started the process wi=ow lots to do.... ys it stll looks about the same but lots done so far
On the fuel pump area ..the elect pump was mounter way uo by the tank could not fix is on the so I now have it by the rear bumper so I can get to if needed I understand that it can have both mech and elect in the circut and dont have to hear that motor run...
But getting the mech. pump inplace is the next item ..have pulled the plat off over the drive and seeit has a alum plug so it will need to come out..
have allready bought the 8ba pump and glass filter setup with the shaft from speedway

Ron this is my very first flatty so need all the help I can get I am an old fart lol
Old 11-06-2023, 04:10 PM   #15
Krylon32

Get your Flathead advice from someone more knowledgeable than Speedway. Pay attention to Ol! Ron and 19Fordy they been there and done that. If you don't want to talk on here PM them with your questions.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #16
Alaska Jim

check your throttle linkage to make sure you are getting full ( wide open ) throttle with the pedal down against the floorboard
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:57 PM   #17
Steve in Denver

Please post some pictures
Old 11-06-2023, 06:57 PM   #18
19Fordy

Randy, Here's some good info. re: fuel pump.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-pump.1206315/

Please post photos of your vehicle, engine compartment, engine and the current mechanical fuel pump set up that is close to your firewall. You should be able to "clock it" so it fits better in the space you have. Pictures would help a lot.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:00 PM   #19
Ol' Ron

Get rid of all the old stuff on the engine Generator, fuel pump stock distributor. zzzzzzzzford carb. anything that's not available any place in the country. Might keep an extra starter. Try driving across the country without needing help somewhere. Wet from georga to Bville . On the way back had to replace the fuel pump. Lucky wehad one in the spare parts box!!!
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:36 PM   #20
Randy Monroe

Hello Ron I dont understand the picture thing I would gladly send them if I figure this out

top of the motor is alt and 3 97s on a offy intake and at the back is or was an old fuel stantion with a block off plate to the side and a home made plug for an oil fill?