Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #21
oldbugger

Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

If you use the Bosch blue coil do I still also need to use the resistor that you provide with the chev dist conversion. Thanks Jim
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #22
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
If you use the Bosch blue coil do I still also need to use the resistor that you provide with the chev dist conversion. Thanks Jim
No resistor is needed with the bosch blue coil....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bosch blue.JPG (96.3 KB, 33 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
48Flyer

Bubba, do you have a part number for the blue coil?
also, how much to rebuild a stock distributor on a 51 Merc? I'll be running a 12V system
Thanks!
48Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Flyer View Post
Bubba, do you have a part number for the blue coil?
also, how much to rebuild a stock distributor on a 51 Merc? I'll be running a 12V system
Thanks!

Looks like the coil number is 0-221-119-027 we get them from a off road VW dealer here in town for $40-$50 each........
Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
HotRodmicky

Bosch says the blue coil is for 4 and 6 cylinder engines.
Red coil for 8cyl.
Red one needs a resistor

I always use the blue one......
My 276ci sees 5K rpm not often but, the blue coil still fires the spark plug ok,
no problem there.

Maybe Bubba can explain when you need which coil, but
i think blue is all you need

A 6cly engine at 8K rpm
and a 8cyl. at 6K rpm
have the same cycles per minute

an who revs his Flathead to 6K ????
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Bubba..what Bosch coil or any brand coil for 6 volt system with your 49-53 dist conversion, points type?
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
BUBBAS IGNITION

As mentioned above the Bosch Blue coil was made for 4 and 6cylinder engines based on ramp ( coil build up time) and overall rpm ranges etc. However with the flatheads rpm band the bosch blue works very well.
The key is having the correct primary ignition resistance. Coils have got pretty bad in quality over the last few years with many companys buying off shore stuff that doesnt seem to hold up well with the heat, but in their defense its usually a misapplication that causes the problems.
Most of the time when someone walks into the shop with a fryed coil its the wrong coil for the application purchased at a swap meet or a buddys garage.
The 12 volt ignition system needs approx 3-4 ohms of primary resistance to maintain a current flow of 3-4 amps to keep everything working for many happy miles . A electronic system usually is higher amps and lower resistance.
We have a coil made for us ( USA made) in Layafette Indiana thats oil filled and is a very good quality. Costs a little more but very seldom do we have a return.

Another tip is that spark plug gap goes with the engine and combustion chamber NOT the ignition system. A wide gap and hotter spark is seldom needed in a flathead application...
Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #28
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
Bubba..what Bosch coil or any brand coil for 6 volt system with your 49-53 dist conversion, points type?

I would suggest the Bosch blue for a 6 volt system with no resistor needed....
Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #29
Butch11443

Bubba, I'm running a light brown Bosch coil I got off a 72 Fiat years ago. It's marked 12volt, so I hooked it up with no resistor. I'm running a Mallory dual point converted to electronic. It works great so far. Can I do the same with one of your Chevy's converted to electronic?
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #30
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch11443 View Post
Bubba, I'm running a light brown Bosch coil I got off a 72 Fiat years ago. It's marked 12volt, so I hooked it up with no resistor. I'm running a Mallory dual point converted to electronic. It works great so far. Can I do the same with one of your Chevy's converted to electronic?
Butch
I would think so..
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #31
cb ndrhsr

Bubba, I received your dist. last week, it looks great ! I'm taking your advice and buying a Bosch Blue coil. My question is kinda simple for some but can I paint it black ? Don't want a blue coil, if yes could I use my favorite Krylon 1613 on it or what ? Thanks. CBN
cb ndrhsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb ndrhsr View Post
Bubba, I received your dist. last week, it looks great ! I'm taking your advice and buying a Bosch Blue coil. My question is kinda simple for some but can I paint it black ? Don't want a blue coil, if yes could I use my favorite Krylon 1613 on it or what ? Thanks. CBN
Sure , but i would prefer "elvis gold" i think.........
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #33
Richard in Florida

[BUBBA]... the design and the compression ratio of the flathead doesnt really need the features a MSD box can bring.[/QUOTE]

I was running an HEI ignition when I found a very clean MSD 6A for $60.
I didn't expect to feel any difference at all, but I couldn't resist.

I was wrong!

More low-end torque was immediately apparent. Fifth gear (OD) now felt like fourth gear. I was effortlessly turning corners in fourth gear that used to call for third.

It makes a difference.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #34
56shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
We suggest using a 1.5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm resistor on 12 volt systems. Using ohms law with 3 ohms resistance and a 12 volt battery would equal 4 amps current flow in the primary ignition system. ( perfect for this system)
"The blue bosch ( vw beetle) coil is a 3-4 ohm internally resisted ignition coil and one of the best out there . Good choice for a coil..."

"As mentioned above the Bosch Blue coil was made for 4 and 6cylinder engines based on ramp ( coil build up time) and overall rpm ranges etc. However with the flatheads rpm band the bosch blue works very well. The key is having the correct primary ignition resistance. The 12 volt ignition system needs approx 3-4 ohms of primary resistance to maintain a current flow of 3-4 amps to keep everything working for many happy miles . A electronic system usually is higher amps and lower resistance."

I am confused as to what Bubba is saying. Please clear me up. Above he says to use a 1.5 ohm primary resistance coil then later in the post he recommends the Bosch 3.4 ohm primary resistance coil (part 0-221-119-027).

Another thing confusing me is where he is talking about the primary ignition resistance and not needing an external resister with the blue Bosch coil. Is he talking about the ballast resister? Is it a 1.5 ballast resisiter he ships with his GM conversion points distributor?

Thanks ahead of time for any clarification help provided. Bubba if you answer this yourself I am referring to you in a third party in case you don't see this post.
56shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #35
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56shoebox View Post
"The blue bosch ( vw beetle) coil is a 3-4 ohm internally resisted ignition coil and one of the best out there . Good choice for a coil..."

"As mentioned above the Bosch Blue coil was made for 4 and 6cylinder engines based on ramp ( coil build up time) and overall rpm ranges etc. However with the flatheads rpm band the bosch blue works very well. The key is having the correct primary ignition resistance. The 12 volt ignition system needs approx 3-4 ohms of primary resistance to maintain a current flow of 3-4 amps to keep everything working for many happy miles . A electronic system usually is higher amps and lower resistance."

I am confused as to what Bubba is saying. Please clear me up. Above he says to use a 1.5 ohm primary resistance coil then later in the post he recommends the Bosch 3.4 ohm primary resistance coil (part 0-221-119-027).

Another thing confusing me is where he is talking about the primary ignition resistance and not needing an external resister with the blue Bosch coil. Is he talking about the ballast resister? Is it a 1.5 ballast resisiter he ships with his GM conversion points distributor?

Thanks ahead of time for any clarification help provided. Bubba if you answer this yourself I am referring to you in a third party in case you don't see this post.
We typically want approx 3 ohms resistance in the primary of a 12 volt point type of ignition.

One way to get that ressitance is to use a 1.5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm resisitor for a total of 3.0 ohms or 4 amps in the circuit. ( We ship this resistor with our units as many have had trouble getting them )

Another way to get this is to use the Bosch blue coil at 3 ohms as well.
The actual rpm band of the flathead works very well either way....
Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
Ralph Moore

Just read this post, and now I'm going to get yelled at.
I'm putting all cloth wiring in my car, from RI wiring, and in the process of doing so I took out the dist primary wire and out a cloth covered 14 ga wire.
I did not know that was so critical. Now I have to see if I can find the one I took out, or I can grovel and see if I can get Bubba to send another.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #37
pineapple

I have never cared for the coil mount on the 8ba cylinder head, I feel it's clunky and crowded. I just finished building a new engine for my f1, (maiden voyage was sunday actually). Anyhow, I fabricated a new coil mount that attaches to the inner fender, to clean up the cylinder head area. I have one of your distributors in my engine, the lead was not long enough to reach my new coil mounting position. Since I did not know any better until I saw this, I cut and spliced the lead and covered it with asphalt wire cover. I'm happy to get a new bosch blue coil, but my question is, do I need to replace the lead with a longer one of the same type, or different gage as the length is different? Also if I use the bosch blue, do I need to remove anything from the distributor?(resistor?)

Thanks.
Matt.
pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #38
Roger/Sacramento

Amazon has three for sale:light blue is $70, dark blue is $50, and another for $27 made in Brazil. No specs available. Which one is correct to buy ?

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #39
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
I have never cared for the coil mount on the 8ba cylinder head, I feel it's clunky and crowded. I just finished building a new engine for my f1, (maiden voyage was sunday actually). Anyhow, I fabricated a new coil mount that attaches to the inner fender, to clean up the cylinder head area. I have one of your distributors in my engine, the lead was not long enough to reach my new coil mounting position. Since I did not know any better until I saw this, I cut and spliced the lead and covered it with asphalt wire cover. I'm happy to get a new bosch blue coil, but my question is, do I need to replace the lead with a longer one of the same type, or different gage as the length is different? Also if I use the bosch blue, do I need to remove anything from the distributor?(resistor?)

Thanks.
Matt.

Leave the lead in place as final resistor and extend if needed . Shouldnt need a resistor with the Bosch blue...
Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #40
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger/Sacramento View Post
Amazon has three for sale:light blue is $70, dark blue is $50, and another for $27 made in Brazil. No specs available. Which one is correct to buy ?
this one ............
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bch-00012/overview/