Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Droobie

Default Rain gutters are a pita!!!!!

Good lord! I have got 10 hours easy in my rain gutters and still no luck. This is the second set...... I tried a couple different ways to get them bent right and have lost all my hair doing so. I thought I was good this time round but after I got them painted and tried to install them together I messed them up ( again ). If anyone has any suggestions please do tell... Yikes. Im going to order one more set.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Dave27

Default Re: Rain gutters are a pita!!!!!

I saw a post by a guy cant remember where that you can buy them allready bent. Dont quote me though I'm new to the forum.
Dave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Ray A from PA

Do yours come in two pieces? First to be nailed and the other one to snap in to the first. Have you ever considered only using the gutter,second piece,and attaching it with glue. You can bend and glue at the same time.
Ray A from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

If I remember correctly (I have CRS), there were a couple of threads on how to make a jig to bend them, also a way of applying heat to help with the bends. Do a search. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me or enhance my answer. Good luck.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Droobie

Dave that would be great if Someone offered them pre bent. Im telling you they are a nightmare to bend then separate then try and snap back together!! Ray, I think that would be good but i cant see it being strong enough to hold up very long like nailing the base in. Flamingo the threads that I have found here seemed to cover the fordor and town sedans not the tudors. I am looking for insight on the bends for the rear of the tudors. Thank yall for your replies.

Drew
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
RTC1930

I 100% agree. The gutters were by far the biggest PIA on my car with the top molding channel in a close second. Unfortunately I have no tips on how to make it easier as I was in a rush when did mine and put a large dent in the bend area of the gutter while trying to snap them together with block of wood and hammer. I had just spent two years getting every dent out of the car and did this the night before I was going to paint it! It's making me angry just thinking about it again.

Bob
Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Bassman/NZ

I had no trouble with mine. I discarded the inner piece and just used the outers. I made a wooden jig that would prevent the extrusion from twisting as I was bending it, and they came out perfect. Painted them with etch primer then top coat and nailed them on with the twisty nails. That was a year ago, and the jig has long since departed this earth, otherwise I would have posted a pic.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Droobie

Yeah RTC I bent the two peices as close as I possibly could then separated them and completly started the ruining stage of them then. I started at the front and put a peice of tubing inside the gutter and with a rubber hammer tried to snap the two peices together...... I got to the bend and the project went to complete s*** after that. So frustrating. Bassman That sounds like a really easy way to do it but it just dont sound right. I would be able to see the nail heads or screw heads. Like I said i will order one more set of them and if I mangle them up I will proceed to use Hidum welting (cringe).
Old 06-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Rusty Homestead Fl

Haven't tried it myself yet but a late friend of mine used to cut the bottom mounting part into smaller pieces and attach them to the car . Then snap the gutter to the pieces as he slowly bent it to fit. I'm sure there's more steps to the process and I never saw him do it but this is just what I remember him telling me.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
Bassman/NZ

The nail heads are painted same as the gutter, they add to the rustic charm....
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote