Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #41
GB SISSON

Default Re: 1940 ford sportsman?

I think whitewalls are similar to the next generation's raised white letters or perhaps ROWL. About 20 years ago I bought a used 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 suburban to use as my work vehicle (vans can't get up my hill). It came from a dealer on the mainland. It had raised outline white letter tires. I was so offended by them that I stopped by Ace Hardware in Anacortes and bought a can of flat black spray paint to shoot on them at the grocery store parking lot before I lined up for the ferry. Well I bought my ticket and later I sauntered off to casually view my new prize from a distance and the tires were a mess of curdled up black paint, like potato chips with the raised white letters peeking through. The dealer had armoralled the tires and it reacted with the paint. I have never uttered a word about this til now. Like my buddy in Maine, I guess I'm just a plain ol blackwall guy.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #42
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I think whitewalls are similar to the next generation's raised white letters or perhaps ROWL. About 20 years ago I bought a used 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 suburban to use as my work vehicle (vans can't get up my hill). It came from a dealer on the mainland. It had raised outline white letter tires. I was so offended by them that I stopped by Ace Hardware in Anacortes and bought a can of flat black spray paint to shoot on them at the grocery store parking lot before I lined up for the ferry. Well I bought my ticket and later I sauntered off to casually view my new prize from a distance and the tires were a mess of curdled up black paint, like potato chips with the raised white letters peeking through. The dealer had armoralled the tires and it reacted with the paint. I have never uttered a word about this til now. Like my buddy in Maine, I guess I'm just a plain ol blackwall guy.
Funny how thoughts about white walls/black walls change over time, at least for me. When I was in Jr. High building AMT 3 in 1 models I couldn't stand the black wall drag slips that I put on most of the cars I built. Of course I tried to make white wall slicks by painting the black walls with white paint. Well just like GB, that didn't work out so well. My current '54 Ranch Wagon project came with white walls and I can't wait until its far enough along to warrant new black walls. So, 55 years ago it had to be white walls. Now for this old fart it's black walls on everything. Of course in the late '60's early '70's there were a few red line wide ovals on my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon but that's a different story.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #43
woodiewagon46

If anyone is serious about building a '40 Sportsman, you don't have to "cut up" a real car. There is a company by the name of Treehouse Woods, that manufactures a 1940 cowl section including a complete floor pan to build a 1940 Ford Woodie. Aftermarket frames are available from several companies. Treehouse Woods also reproduces most of the hardware for the '40 Station Wagon also.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #44
51504bat

GB,
If you decide against the Sportsman there is always this woodie AND it has an 8ba in it so no crab/helmet distributor that you love so well. Its just down the road from me and I'll be happy to check it out for you. Lol

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...182015882.html
1948 Ford Woody - $18,000 (Loma Linda)

1948 Ford Super Deluxe Woody Wagon built 3/2/1948. Bought in the early 70s and have owned it since then. Bought from Royal Muffler shop in Redlands and drove it throughout western states; including California, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Oregon, and Washington. Engine ran when parked approximately 25 years ago.

Engine is a late model flathead and has a truck bellhousing. Has all three seats. Passenger door needs to be fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01313_fjtynTPDZ0p_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg (47.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #45
GB SISSON

Good price I would think for such a complete car. I will pass as I don't need two station wagons. The sportsman thing is because it's fun to have an open car in the summer around here. And I love a challenge.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #46
1952henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
Please check your email, Gary. I sent pics of an article from the current month’s V8 Times with early Sportsman concept drawings. Hope the iPhone pics are clear enough to let you read the article.

Fittingly, the word of the day at the Dictionary.com site is “vicarious”. We all watch your projects as they evolve and marvel at your talent and vision. Stu

GB and Stu, a fellow on the Hamb antiquated forum is building a PW woodie. Someone passed on GB's contact info. And Willowbilly was talented like no other.

Last edited by 1952henry; 08-26-2020 at 06:52 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #47
GB SISSON

Thanks 52Henry, I saw it and I have now talked to him on two occasions. He and I have similar backgrounds and interests for sure. I still have two really good friends that refuse to use a computer or cellphone. I'm so glad I am not of their ilk, because look at the great connections we make. And living in a remote spot such as myself and many others, how else could all this info be shared so easily.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #48
sawzall

the way I see it, the 40 coupe / convert just isnt square enough to make this work.. if you have the chance to line a sportsman up against a real 46 - 48 convert its amazing how boxy they are.. doing a 40 sportsman would require a boxy rear section.. and the entire design would go out the window..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

That is one good looking 1941 Mercury Sportsman Convertible, even if the factory didn't produce any of this model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
The Merc is a real wooden body. The car is owned by a friend in Wisconsin. It was created from his imagination and put together over 16 years by some remarkable craftsmen in three states. There were two donor cars, original Sportsman door frames, and N.O.S. mahogany from the Iron Mountain plant.

My photo does not do it justice - it is breathtaking in person and looks like it could be a factory vehicle. The craftsmanship is impeccable. I also think the whitewalls work.

Ken
Ive had the chance to see this 41 merc, and as mentioned its real.. from what I am told it was built on a bit of a bet.. needless to say, it and the owners other sportsman are both stunning.. The wood is accurate to early sportsman cars ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
If anyone is serious about building a '40 Sportsman, you don't have to "cut up" a real car. There is a company by the name of Treehouse Woods, that manufactures a 1940 cowl section including a complete floor pan to build a 1940 Ford Woodie. Aftermarket frames are available from several companies. Treehouse Woods also reproduces most of the hardware for the '40 Station Wagon also.
I spoke with treehouse earlier this year, and i am not sure that he is continuing the cowl construction.. I have part of a cowl (lower) and maybe a 39 windshield surround (if I still have it) that could be had cheap..

ironically I found myself dreaming of a RPU recently..
Old 08-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #49
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
the way I see it, the 40 coupe / convert just isnt square enough to make this work.. if you have the chance to line a sportsman up against a real 46 - 48 convert its amazing how boxy they are.. doing a 40 sportsman would require a boxy rear section.. and the entire design would go out the window..
I'm inclined to agree with you. The '40 decklid has a lot more slope than the postwar cars. The execution of the wood decklid would make or break the whole thing for me.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #50
GB SISSON

If a person was to start with nothing but a cowl/firewall mounted behind the engine, why could he not dictate the slope of the trunk lid etc? I could make it a boat tailed speedster if I chose to. Once you stray from the ford blueprints, you just start sawing and bending boards. I would think the rear could be built boxy or slopey. I see no reason to follow the lines of the metal car. My wheelbase will be adjustable as well.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #51
sawzall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
If a person was to start with nothing but a cowl/firewall mounted behind the engine, why could he not dictate the slope of the trunk lid etc? I could make it a boat tailed speedster if I chose to. Once you stray from the ford blueprints, you just start sawing and bending boards. I would think the rear could be built boxy or slopey. I see no reason to follow the lines of the metal car. My wheelbase will be adjustable as well.
actually.. the boattail sounds excellent..

I guess my point is that the shape of a 40 decklid.. is something that makes a 40 ford..
Old 08-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #52
GB SISSON

My thought was more to build a wood bodied roadster that I hoped would be pleasing to the eye. It was not to duplicate the sportsman's wood parts and graft them to a 40 type front end. Keep in mind this is still in it's infancy and may also end up as an open pickup with my factory cowl, then an open area with seat followed by a painted wood pickup box with low sides and flare boards at the top. I still haven't stripped the chassis yet. I have looked at various chassis drawings for the 40 ford, but have not come up with a critical dimension, that being the distance from the indent in the firewall to the center of the front axle. Can anybody help me out with that? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #53
truckdog62563

Gary - is 1941 close enough if nobody has the specs for 1940? I have the handbook with all that for 1941. Stu
Old 08-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #54
Zeke3

Gary, I have a 1937 passenger car without the front suspension installed. The dimension from the indent in the dash panel (aka firewall) to the center of the square hole in the crossmember for the front spring is 23.5".

Last edited by Zeke3; 08-29-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added a couple of words.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #55
GB SISSON

My factory cowl is from a jailbar series. The jailbar cabs are said to be virtually the same cab as the 40-41, therefore I'm thinking a 41 hood, which I have should work. But the fenders have to line up with the placement of my front axle.... I guess I'm saying a 41 (pickup) dimensions should work. Thanks.! Had a great day running around today in the 72 degree Saturday sun in my shop-built woodie wagon.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #56
truckdog62563

I’ll email the ‘41 spec info. Stu