Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
keith oh

Default Dec. 7th comming up. who can remember ???

I, (10years old) was in a movie theater when the lights came on, the manager came out on the stage and said simply,"The Japanese have bombed Pearl Harbor with many causalities and a large portion of our Navy lost. The place went totally silent, then a man behind us stood up and said, "KILL THE BASTARDS" Mom said, "Oh my God my brother is stationed there". He survived but was Killed 10 months later in the South Pacific.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Dec. 7th comming up. who can remember ???

In my case I wasn't born yet on 12/7/41, but based on history lessons, TV shows, and movies on the subject, I think I can imagine what it would have been like.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

I was 10 years old, playing out in the woods, when someone came out and yelled The Japs have bombed Pearl Harbor. As Roosevelt said, A date that will live in infamy.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 12-04-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Joe Immler

God rest the souls of all who perished in WW II. The rag heads sure are lucky they weren't pulling their crap on us back in our forefathers day.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Immler View Post
God rest the souls of all who perished in WW II. The rag heads sure are lucky they weren't pulling their crap on us back in our forefathers day.
X2 Not old enough but the stories from elders that are inconceivable by todays generations.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
BlueSunoco

Times three to what 5851a and Joe stated.

For love of our country, it scares the beejebbers out of me that the millenials don't know or care about U.S. History and what it means. They are not taught properly in school,,,,, by design. Grandson had US History last year as a Junior in high school and he told me that the teacher blew right over WWII, only talked briefly about it for about half an hour then back to the usual dribble they indoctrinate kids with today Stuff like 'Who do you think will win on American Idol' garbage like that. Important stuff, celebrity worship.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Alan O'Connell

I'm so immersed in the 1930's and 40's that I feel like I have lived through it.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
ford38v8

I was just a toddler, born during the Battle of Britain. My personal memories of the war are limited to the blankets over the windows in San Francisco, and the VE Day parade, during which I waved my tiny flag from the window of a 2nd story apartment. All other memories were superimposed.

On a side note, I spoke with a friend who is in Oahu right now to attend his Daughter's wedding. I suggested that he attend the ceremonies at the Arizona to commemorate Peal Harbor Day. His response blew me away... His exact words:
"Oh, yeah, When was that? In the 50's sometime, wasn't it?"
What has happened to us? This guy is a retired Firefighter and is living in such ignorant bliss?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
2935ford

I've been to Pearl Harbor and walk the monument to those still on board the U.S.S. Arizona............oil still seeping up and the names of the lost on the wall.

An emotional experience for sure!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
I've been to Pearl Harbor and walk the monument to those still on board the U.S.S. Arizona............oil still seeping up and the names of the lost on the wall.

An emotional experience for sure!
An experience every American should make the effort to have. Especially those who weren't around yet.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Times three to what 5851a and Joe stated.

For love of our country, it scares the beejebbers out of me that the millenials don't know or care about U.S. History and what it means. They are not taught properly in school,,,,, by design. .
The students are taught history with survey courses. There is a lot more than just World War II when it comes to history ( the 50 or so years leading up to World War II are incredibly important in understanding the real causes of the war). And most students HATE history. They just don't care and they DON'T make the effort to learn it. It is that simple.

I went to school a long time ago and if a boy wanted to know about WWII battles, he had to visit a library and check out the books himself. The grade school and high school history classes are survey courses--they try to pack in as much history as they can for the term. You just can't spend the whole semester on World War II.

We were taught the basics of World History for that era and then the class moved on to the next chapter. That is just the way it is. Like anything else in grade school or high school--if the student wants to learn more, then they will have to do it on their own. By the way, I am an university-trained historian (my expert field of study is the first 50 years of the 20th century) and a published history author (in print for nine years now).

Simple fact: Most students hate history.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Mark Slight

I was 5 years old living on the West coast my father was stationed in Southern California.

It wasn't very long before the teachers started warning us about picking anything up that looked like a ink pen. The Japanese were sending hot air balloons that fell on the West coast from Washington state to California.

They were intended to start small fires that they tracked. The intent was to later send Anthrax in those balloons to the United States!!

I'm sure you can google this for more information. (the secret history of Anthrax.)

Mark

Last edited by Mark Slight; 12-04-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: info
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #13
deuce_roadster

Happened 9 years before I was born but my dad was on the Battleship Mississippi and had left Pearl Harbor about a month before the attack.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
JonC

I wasn't born yet, sure wish people would stop killing and just play with old cars if they have time on their hands.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

" December the 7th 1941 - a date which will live in infamy."
Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Last edited by swoopNZ; 12-04-2015 at 06:52 PM.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

I was 8 years old and was in Fox Lake Ill.We lived in Chicago and came out to Fox lake to check on Grama's summer cottage. I was with my Dad and Uncle Danny, he had been drafted the year before and was scheduled to be discharged just before Christman. I think it was the first time I heard the "F" word.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
corvette8n

I wasn't born yet but I did get to visit the Arizona Memorial in 2007, it was a very solemn and moving experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (24.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (45.2 KB, 24 views)
corvette8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #18
Barry-ct

I wasn't born yet, Dad did not know Mom until 1945, But I am fascinated by anything WW II and at age 61, I still find books to read on it. New facts come up all the time. Can't get enough of American history. I Sailed right through the course with A+'s and it was the easiest high school course for me! Don't ask about English....... Too bad the dates and stuff is no longer recognized by the newspapers. All they want is advertisers to fill their few pages. They're not "newspapers" anymore.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
fourfords

I live in the next County over from San Bernardino. Needless to say, this whole area is quite taken aback by this week's terrorist act. For many, this is another day of Infamy. I am angry and sad at the same time.

As an aside, i understand the couple who murdered these people had a six month old. And dropped off the child at the Grandmother's house just prior to the attack. This mind set is completely beyond anything I could ever imagine. Maybe some of the older folks of the World War Two Era can educate this current generation and prepare them for what might be in store.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #20
coup34

I was 7, on our way home from grandparents house, Dad liked to listen to the 5 pm news. Heard it then. He had just bought a 40 tudor that fall,radio, heater and 2-speed axle. Great car!!!! A year or so later he jacked up the car, put on blocks, used the tires on the Model A, he was a rural mail carrier and did not know when he could get another car, and tires were hard to come by. Remember well!!!
coup34 is offline   Reply With Quote