Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
Mart

Default Re: 1939 gearbox question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Mart,
I have what I believe to be a 1941 floor shift pickup transmission. Other than the clutch set up it seems to be interchangeable. It also has the double detent springs. I was hoping to use it as a back up for my `35 Cabriolet. Will it work?

Thanks,
Bud Reynolds
I think so.

Probably worth having a peek inside, do a tooth count etc. Like Bruce says, you never know whom may have got their hands dirty inside there in the past.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Terry,OH

Shadetree: The transmission case and internals will fit the 35 without problems. Have to change the clutch release lever on the side of the transmission to the 35 lever, and use the 35 rear bearing retainer (motor mount). The 35 transmission cover (floor pan) will have to be modified slightly to accept the later transmission top, which has to be used due to the 3" shift fork, the shifter has to be changed to the 36 or later because the rod going into the top of the transmission for 35 is different and will not work with the double detent top.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #23
RPM

Other than the shifter handle, isn't the 40 and 41 half ton 3 speed truck trans the same as a 39 passenger car? At least insofar as ratios and interchangebility?
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #24
37 Coupe

The green parts book shows the #78 prefix transmission case,which was first used on the 1937 Ford-1939 Ford passenger cars as used on the 40-42 pickup and I think up to 1947,for the three speed.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #25
Shadetree

Thanks guys. I may never need it but good to have with all my other plunder. I took the top off when I first bought it and it looks great. To me it isn't worth the effort to change the original transmission out just to get a synchronized second gear and to keep it in second going down hill...
Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Shade tree, I think you can derust the cogs where they are with little trouble using EvapoRust...I've used it on all sorts of things including complicated assemblies and as advertised, it does not attack anything but rust. Clean the oil off of gears with blasts of spray brake cleaner, which can drip on out the bottom. Fill the thing up with Evaporust, the gallon you need would be about $20, rotate things as needed, give it a few hours. When you drain it out the ER will likely be contaminated by oil from bearings and stuff, but it'll be worth the cost over taking the car apart. Any residue can be flushed out with hot water, fill the thing back up with your gear oil and rotate all to oil the bearings and gears before re-rusting happens. This stuff is excellent and truly harmless.
Run car around the block, drain out some of the oil to clear out whatever remaining water based stuff leaches out of cluster and bearings.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote