Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
PhoenixFear

Default Flathead parts questions

I am having my '53 engine machined and now it is time for parts. I'm basically doing a mild build, upgrading little things in hopes that it will be a much better engine when done. I have a few questions regarding some parts.
Has anyone dealt with Red's Headers as far as buying engine stuff goes? He has really great prices. I talked with a guy there on the phone a couple times and he says his adjustable lifters are made in Europe. I'm not sure if I should get those from him or just find some other ones.
Also, I am thinking of using Hastings rings with Egge pistons. I can get a good deal on Hastings rings and Red's has Egge pistons for a bit cheaper than even Egge has them for. Red's carries Grant rings I believe. I have not used either ring but I know more about Hastings than I do Grant.
Also, would it be worth it to use upgraded rings such as chrome? Or not worth it? Thanks.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: Flathead parts questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
I am having my '53 engine machined and now it is time for parts. I'm basically doing a mild build, upgrading little things in hopes that it will be a much better engine when done. I have a few questions regarding some parts.
Has anyone dealt with Red's Headers as far as buying engine stuff goes? He has really great prices. I talked with a guy there on the phone a couple times and he says his adjustable lifters are made in Europe. I'm not sure if I should get those from him or just find some other ones.
Also, I am thinking of using Hastings rings with Egge pistons. I can get a good deal on Hastings rings and Red's has Egge pistons for a bit cheaper than even Egge has them for. Red's carries Grant rings I believe. I have not used either ring but I know more about Hastings than I do Grant.
Also, would it be worth it to use upgraded rings such as chrome? Or not worth it? Thanks.
Here is my answer to your questions. I think EGGE pistons are great for any street engine, (and even mild raceing) I use Hasting rings, I hate Grant rings. I don't think there is any need for chrome rings except on an all out race engine. For one thing they are hard to break in. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
PhoenixFear

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was being too picky on brands or what works best with what.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Bob/Ohio

When I assembled my engine a few years ago, I bought most of my engine parts from Red's. I know one thing for sure, if you have a problem with anything, they will go out of there way to make it right!

Bob
Bob/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
PhoenixFear

I'll give him a call tomorrow. I have one other guy I am probably going to order from locally as well. I'd like to just stick with one person for most if not everything but most people don't have every brand I am looking for or the right price I am looking for. I work at an auto parts store at the moment so I can get deals on certain things sometimes, but not everything.
Basically my list is:
- Egge pistons, 4-ring, .040
- Hastings 533 rings, 4-ring, .040
- Federal Mogul or Clevite pin bushings
- Not sure what adjustable lifters to use, Red's has the cheapest price but he didn't say a brand, just that they are made in Europe.
- Victor-Reinz gasket set
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
flatjack9

Never had a problem with Red's lifters.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Dodge

Definetly Hastings Rings over Grant
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
I'll give him a call tomorrow. I have one other guy I am probably going to order from locally as well. I'd like to just stick with one person for most if not everything but most people don't have every brand I am looking for or the right price I am looking for. I work at an auto parts store at the moment so I can get deals on certain things sometimes, but not everything.
Basically my list is:
- Egge pistons, 4-ring, .040
- Hastings 533 rings, 4-ring, .040
- Federal Mogul or Clevite pin bushings
- Not sure what adjustable lifters to use, Red's has the cheapest price but he didn't say a brand, just that they are made in Europe.
- Victor-Reinz gasket set
Sounds good to me...I like the "Best Brand" gasket sets, they have the best rear main gasket and excellent "graph-tite" head gaskets, they also come with every small gasket you can think of.

Hastings or Sealed Power rings, I also don't like Grant rings
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
flatjack9

I don't think I've used Grant rings. What's wrong with them?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

Red is great to do business with and the lifters he sells have given no problem so far nobody has complained about them. I usually used chrome wrings when I was rebuilding engines, but I broke the engine in on my dyno so it was done right. Back in the 40, 50,60 70's the factories used chrome rings, with great success. They must be installed correctly and broken in with a heavy foot. The results give minimum ware and higher cylinder pressures.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
PhoenixFear

I'll look into chrome rings, if they are worth it or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Russco

My Ross pistons came with Grant rings. I dont think Ross would use a poor quality ring. I agree that rings will seal up better if broken in under a good load.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

I've used several sets of Ross pistons and never got Grant rings with them. The old Grant rings were soft cast and seated very quick, plus they were the cheapest you could buy. The last set of Egge pistons I bought came with Volvo metric rings.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
OldDad

Like Ol' Ron says, chrome rings for me. And split-skirt three ring pistons. Jahn's pistons and Perfect Circle rings. Don't know if that's still possible anymore, but I might as well throw my wrench in the works!
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Russco

The Grant rings that came for my Ross pistons were not chrome rings, They were part number P2360.000 listed in their catalog as: plain cast, racing overbore 3.313 for 239 motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7461.jpg (68.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
Jason M.

I just purchased pistons (egge), rings (grant), valves, lifters, keepers, Isky valve springs, NOS rod bearings, main bearings (Israel), and some other parts from Patricks in AZ. He was great to deal with and when you call you speak with Patrick.
Jason M. is offline   Reply With Quote