Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
brum1

Default Air Maze vs. No Air Maze

Have you noticed any performance difference with an Air maze on your carb? or can you adjust the carb to perform at the same level?

Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Joop

Default Re: Air Maze vs. No Air Maze

Found this online

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filters.jpg (24.8 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Filters2.jpg (79.7 KB, 304 views)
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Model A Man

the ladies roadster that I have been helping her with wouldn't start because of a dirty air filter. when the filter was removed it started right up.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Louis

I've only been in this hobby for about two years and from what i have heard is that an air maze will make your eng. run rich, it can also collect fuel from your carb. and be a fire hazzard if you have a backfire.

The model "A" did not come with an air maze, and the roads of today are a lot cleaner then the dirt/dusty roads of the 1930s. im sure ford engeneers of the time thought of this.

My 31 coupe is 80 years old and does not have one and as far as i know probley never did, or will.

I think the air maze is just another pretty thing the "A" model don't need.
All this is JMHO .
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
john in illinois

I run a K&N filter on a Zenith carb. Runs great,plugs clean and no dirt to wear out rings.Here is a link about Zeniths and filters.

LINK http://www.modela.org/filtering_air_into_carb.html
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Joop

I think that having engine pans installed would minimize the dust from entering the carburetor also.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
brum1

John, thanks for the link-good info
Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Joop

Your welcome!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
MrTube

I am also running a K&N on an airmaze frame.

Well, I will be once I lean the carburetor out enough to run normal without an air filter for starters . But thats another story.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
JohnW

At the end of the day, you need a filter on the carb intake. Yes, the A Model did not come with a filter. However, if you plan to keep the inside of your engine clean you will need one. Just because you cannot see the dust does not mean grit is not entering through the carburetor. Modern filters remove dust particles that are measured in microns. Many people install a maze and then never change the filter. These filters should be changed at least once a year. They should be changed even more frequently if you drive a lot.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
JBill

I've used both the original wire mesh and the paper replacement and have noticed no difference between running with either one or the other of those or with nothing at all.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
bobv

It would be interesting to hear how the engine builders feel about filters.
bobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
At the end of the day, you need a filter on the carb intake. Yes, the A Model did not come with a filter. However, if you plan to keep the inside of your engine clean you will need one. Just because you cannot see the dust does not mean grit is not entering through the carburetor. Modern filters remove dust particles that are measured in microns. Many people install a maze and then never change the filter. These filters should be changed at least once a year. They should be changed even more frequently if you drive a lot.
Ive got coupe that, up until last july when i switched to a downdraft intake, hadnt ever had a filter on it. I'm not saying they wont keep the engine clean but i think it doesnt NEED it. We put 25k miles on that engine and 75k miles all together on that car since restored without an airfilter. The problem i hav with the zenith airmaze is when you flood the carb gas leaks into the filter. Then it will backfire threw the carb and all that gas in filter will catch on fire.

Now with all this said, i think an airfilter is a good idea, but it is not needed on the model a.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobv View Post
It would be interesting to hear how the engine builders feel about filters.
I think its easy to see how engine builders feel.

ALL production cars, motorcycles, dirt bikes, lawn mowers, generators have been shipping with air filters for over 50 years and its not because the manufactures want to spend extra money.

I also think most model A engine builders insist you run an air filter or it voids the warranty.

Unfortunatrly this discussion gets repeated almost as often as oil arguments .
Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Ive got coupe that, up until last july when i switched to a downdraft intake, hadnt ever had a filter on it. I'm not saying they wont keep the engine clean but i think it doesnt NEED it. We put 25k miles on that engine and 75k miles all together on that car since restored without an airfilter. The problem i hav with the zenith airmaze is when you flood the carb gas leaks into the filter. Then it will backfire threw the carb and all that gas in filter will catch on fire.

Now with all this said, i think an airfilter is a good idea, but it is not needed on the model a.

This is a great concern to me, but I still insist on running the K&N air filter. Wish there was a better way though.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
RTC1930

I have been runnung without a filter and was on the fence over adding one but figured I would try this one from snyders. I just put it on last week so I have not taken the car out with it yet but the element size is huge so hopefully I wont need to re-adjust carb.

I hated it when I first took it out of the box because its made of hardware store parts but after I put it on the car it actually doesnt look half bad since it tucks nicely under the fuel bowl as if the spot was design for it. Still sticks out like a sore thumb as modern though. I plan to replace the hose clamps with the "wire" style to make it look slightly more vintage, if at all possible. Worst case I'll just pull it off if I go to a model A meet to pacify the purists.

It points up not down to hopefully combat the gas issue and has a small weep hole in the bottom to allow it to drain if it does start loading up. Obviously this lets "un-filtered" air in but oh well.

Bob

Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
RonC

Ford provided air cleaners as accessories. According to a Chicago Branch Service Letter dated 8-7-1930, there were two sizes A-18500 and AA-18500. The AA-18500 was larger for extreme dusty conditions. When used Ford stated it was not necessary to have the carburetor dash adjustment open 1/4 turn as normal.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #18
Clydes 31 P/U

This is the K&N filter I run on my truck. I'm sure that a bunch of you are saying "Didn't come with one, don't need one" that's great but it gives me peace of mind when they are plowing the fields and the dust is so thick you have to turn on your lights and shut the windows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0010.jpg (74.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_0012.jpg (64.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_0013.jpg (64.6 KB, 82 views)
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Louis

[QUOTE=MrTube;192635]I think its easy to see how engine builders feel.

ALL production cars, motorcycles, dirt bikes, lawn mowers, generators have been shipping with air filters for over 50 years and its not because the manufactures want to spend extra money.

I also think most model A engine builders insist you run an air filter or it voids the warranty.

Unfortunatrly this discussion gets repeated almost as often as oil arguments .[/QUOTE ]

All prod. cars in the last 50 years have larger eng's. and draw in a heck of a lot more air then a 40 hp. 80 year old "A" does.

Dirt bikes and lawn mowers need an air filter for obv. reasons, and so does an "A" if it is driven on dirt/dusty roads most of the time.

On todays roads, if your "A" has eng. pans and the correct fan, most of the dirt/dust will be blow'n away from the carb. intake.

If your going to get an air maze, you might as well get an oil filter also, and why not a GPS ?

It's JMHO, but i don't think the air maze is worth even one fire .
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #20
HoarseWhisperer

Always enjoyed the comments of "Professor" Pelikan on the filtering subject:

http://www.model-a.org/filtering_air_into_carb.html

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote