Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default 1940 ford sportsman?

Has anyone built a 40 sportsman, or seen a photo of such a thing? I know they didn't exist in nature, but what a handsome thing it would be. That 36 roadster sort of got me thinking.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: 1940 ford sportsman?

1940 FORD SPORTSMAN CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE >

See my posts below....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 08-15-2020 at 05:09 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
GB SISSON

Thanks Pete, but I was thinking wood bodied sportsman as in '46 and 47. Sometimes I think about a wood bodied convertible. We have two whole months here in Western Washington where such a thing could be practical.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
woodiewagon46

There have been several '47-'48 "phantom" Sportsman's and I've even seen a '32 roadster fabricated out of wood but never a 1940. It would make a beautiful car as many people think that the 1940 Ford is one of the most beautiful body styles ever built. Those compound curves around the trunk area could be a killer to fabricate.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
Kens 36

Here is a '41 Mercury "Sportsman".

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41 Mercury Sportsman.jpg (73.6 KB, 393 views)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
CaliforniaBorn36

Looking at the work you do, if anyone could build one I think it might be you. Is this next on your to do list?
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBorn36 View Post
Looking at the work you do, if anyone could build one I think it might be you. Is this next on your to do list?
Just thinking out loud at this point. That merc looks like a factory job! I don't have the money to build a 40ish that would pass muster in most circles. I have a factory cowl and I could imagine a pair of fiberglass fenders. I also have a running chassis with most of the right dimensions, but alas, not a 40 ford. The build if ever started would probably be best on the hamb. Hoping to finish stripping the chassis this weekend.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

That would be one great looking car. I absolutely love the Sportsmans. It incorporates two things I love: Wood bodied cars and a convertible
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
petehoovie

Here you go! > http://www.cruisenewsonline.com/Indi...nvertible.html
GB - You can do this! Piece of cake for you....

This super cool 1940 Ford Woody convertible belongs to Cocoa Beach resident Gilles Rodier. It is painted a redish-maroon with a set of steel wheels accented by baby moon hubcaps, beauty rings and wide whitewall tires. Inside you’ll find a tan vinyl and cloth interior with a tilt wheel, power steering and A/C, while under the hood resides a small block Chevy backed by an automatic transmission.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Last edited by petehoovie; 08-15-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
petehoovie

Or, you can build this plastic model > http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/model.../t/113492.aspx

Old 08-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Somebody's momma once said that if'n ya can't say something nice,...…!

So, I'll just keep my mouth shut. DD

YUK! (So, I lied!)
…………...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #12
cas3

i think a roadster pickup would fit the bill for an active guy like you in the summer months like a wood Ute

Last edited by cas3; 08-15-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
GB SISSON

I get it, Mr Koopman. I totally get it. Like the woodie I just returned home from town in, mine wouldn't have a tilt wheel or auto trans and where there wasn't a half inch of dust there would be bird 'droppings' from all the swallows in my shed. It would be laughed off the concourse at Pebble Beach, but a blast to bomb around the island in. Maybe even a rumble seat for the grandkids!
Old 08-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i think a roadster pickup would fit the bill for an active guy like you in the summer months like a wood Ute
CAS, you musta read my mind.. Way more funky and slightly easier to build. It would wear the bird s#!+ better than a sportsman. There was a guy that went by \willowbilly' on FTE. He built a VERY nice RPU from many parts. Drove the wheels off of it. He was about my age 67 but he passed away from cancer about 2 years ago. It wasn't a rat rod, no navajo blankets on the seats (yawn) or hand grenade shifter, no skulls, no crossbones and no barbed wire. Just a fun open truck made from what he had on his N Dakota farm. He was an inspiration. Not saying I'm not thinking of a sportsman as well, but whatever it ends up it should be interesting. I didn't get any more stripping done on the chassis today. Too hot out.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-15-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #15
19Fordy

Remember: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #16
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
CAS, you musta read my mind.. Way more funky and slightly easier to build. It would wear the bird s#!+ better than a sportsman. There was a guy that went by \willowbilly' on FTE. He built a VERY nice RPU from many parts. Drove the wheels off of it. He was about my age 67 but he passed away from cancer about 2 years ago. It wasn't a rat rod, no navajo blankets on the seats (yawn) or hand grenade shifter, no skulls, no crossbones and no barbed wire. Just a fun open truck made from what he had on his N Dakota farm. He was an inspiration. Not saying I'm not thinking of a sportsman as well, but whatever it ends up it should be interesting. I didn't get any more stripping done on the chassis today. Too hot out.

And he was a hell of an artist/metal sculpturer as well. Left us way too young.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

That obviously JUST DOES NOT WORK on a '40...….period! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 PM   #18
cas3

so, a 40 ute is not attractive? heck i had a 49 chevy 1/2 ton with the roof cut off, and the doors welded shut and cut down like a jeep when i was a kid. wish i still had it. it was a piece of crap that provided many miles of happy summer nights. with GB's skills, i would be hesitant to say anything is not possible

Last edited by cas3; 08-15-2020 at 11:25 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:57 PM   #19
GB SISSON

I would never cut up a real 40 ford to make something like I am proposing. Too expensive to buy and to buy parts for. Besides, I tend to stay away from vehicles with an enclosed drive line. I would consider taking a chassis of similar dimensions, mount a ford cowl and some useable or f/glass 40 ford fenders and play with ideas on some kind of open car with a body made primarily of wood. I have found that when one paints fiberglass fenders, running boards etc with rustoleum rusty metal primer using a brush, they look an awful lot like really straight steel stuff. After all, who would buy plastic fenders and do that? Your typical fiberglass fender guy puts 12 coats of candy apple red on em. (groan)If I get to this project I will give a shout out and anybody interested can see some pics. Trying to explain my unusual way of making vehicles from what is available is like talking politics to your relatives and hoping to change their minds. Or starting another motor oil thread or.......
Old 08-16-2020, 05:37 AM   #20
truckdog62563

Please check your email, Gary. I sent pics of an article from the current month’s V8 Times with early Sportsman concept drawings. Hope the iPhone pics are clear enough to let you read the article.

Fittingly, the word of the day at the Dictionary.com site is “vicarious”. We all watch your projects as they evolve and marvel at your talent and vision. Stu