Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
31slant

Default 31 slantwindow

I know this has been asked in the past. But does any one know of someone that's making patch panels for them? I have a 160b? buy what I can guess. it is in need of outer door and inner door patches. I know the bottom bead is different then others. Would the 31 Vicky be close? any help would be most appreciated.
31slant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:39 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: 31 slantwindow

Vicky doors are wider
Inner won’t work.
Nobody makes a decent outer. The outer bead has a slight arch in it rather than straight
When installed a straight one looks like it dips

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 12-30-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

It is easy to make your own outside panel, I did it using an arbor press and no special tools really.

One of the key parts is understanding metal movement enough to make a panel that has a compound curve to it. The door sections are compound doors, if you try to put a flat section in you can never get the shape right.

The inside panel did need a bender with small fingers to make the double bends. This could also be done with some heavy angle iron. I had access to a the tool at the time. A lot of the other detail you see were done with hammer and form. The curved 90 bend needed to be started with a bead roller. You could also make a curved form and hammer it around. I also have an expander and shrinker die set to help.

The key knowledge you need is an understanding of how metal expands and shrinks and when you need to make these movements. One video I watched had you use heat to make a cup out of a flat piece of steel. I have also done capture shrinking. Once you get a working knowledge of those techniques you can do just about anything with the metal. It gets much easier.

The basic tools you should have would be one high quality hammer with a short pick and round face and 2 different shaped high quality dollies. The rest can be cheapy tools cause you wont be using them as much. I have an older Snap-On hammer I wont let anyone touch. Its feel is not like any other hammer I have. I bought it for $.25 at a garage sale.

Have fun.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
31slant

I am an aircraft mechanic by trade. So i know a little about working with metal. Enough to get myself into trouble really lol. Ill have to try when i get home. Work overseas half the year. But thanks.
31slant is offline   Reply With Quote