Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
Ziggster

Default Holley 94 Fuel Inlet Fiiting - 1/4" Tube

Seems I too have fallen victim and join in on a long list of souls who have run afoul of the mighty flathead gods.

The dreaded Ford "dole" nut fitting for the Holley 94 (not the hose barb variety) seems as elusive as a rainbow coloured unicorn.

Digging though countless threads and sites and I still haven't been able to secure a source.

Found the "correct" part - Weatherhead WH59X4 here and on HAMB, and thought I was golden when it showed up on the NAPA On-line store. No problem I thought, I'll go into town and visit the local NAPA store. We'll not so fast I was told. NAPA Canada is NOT NAPA USA. They could not even find the P/N in their system here. He was able to cross reference it with a Gates P/N, but none available in Canada! I think the Gates P/N is G49230-0404.
I tried earlier in the day to see if Speedway had it as I was ordering some other stuff. Sorry sir, that P/N (WH59X4) does not show up in their system. Tried Third Gen Auto in Tennessee the day before, but they only have a barbed version which is no good for me as I want to use the 1/4" "copper" line I had purchased from them (Roy Nacewicz) last year.
So, after getting back home, I hit the interweeb again, and thought I was on my way with the NAPA on-line site. Entered the qty (4) to my cart, shipping address (my US freight forwarder in Ogdensburg, NY), and was about to enter my payment information, but then a red message popped up saying that the min order qty was 10!
What have I done to upset the flathead gods!? Is it because I decided to go with a stock intake and heads? Is it because I didn't buy Ron's book? Is it because I swapped a helmet dizzy for the crab dizzy?
Between looking for what seems forever for my heads bolts, and now this, I think I must now make an offering to appease the flathead gods. I think I'll offer up one of my Holley 94's. Lol!

But seriously, if anyone knows where I can buy this fitting, please let me know. I now need a drink or two, or three...
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Holley 94 Fuel Inlet Fiiting - 1/4" Tube

Your address pleeze
Charlie ny
[email protected]
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
OLDMANKOHOUT

Sacramento Vintage Ford has them also. #507-1 $2.25 for the special Ford nut and barrel. 1/2-20 unf with 1/2" wrench size hex. Order #507-2 for the same with a 9/16" wrench size hex head. $2.50

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00507-1.jpg (7.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 00507-2.jpg (7.8 KB, 23 views)
OLDMANKOHOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
Ziggster

That is great, but Charlie ny will send a few up to me. If my barn find cobbled up Holley 94 fails to perform, I'll be sending it down to him for a proper rebuild.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
That is great, but Charlie ny will send a few up to me. If my barn find cobbled up Holley 94 fails to perform, I'll be sending it down to him for a proper rebuild.
You will come to find if you need most anything for your flathead, it will need to come from our lovely neighbors to the south. Napa Canada has nothing Napa USA has and all the NOS and repro dealers reside down there. Lordco does have that fitting tho, at least the one in BC.

The only local dealer I have found in Canada is George Moir in Alberta but hasn't had anything in stock that I was after. He does carry Drake and Carpenter stuff. The only other place useful was Carburetor doctor in BC who was able to supply me with a Dayton parts rebuild kit recommended by Charley ny.

I ended up getting fuel line fittings and pre bent copper coated steel line from 3rd Gen auto.

Copper fuel line: take a search thru the threads. Cooper is not recommended, best to go with copper coated steel if that's the look you want. I've heard horror stories but never experienced myself, although there was a copper line on my flathead for the first 4yrs I owned it.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
Ziggster

Yes, I've bought from the Carburetor Doctor before. The fuel line I ordered from Roy Nacewicz/ Third Gen Auto is copper plated steel. Speaking of that, while cleaning up my mess of parts down in my basement, guess what I find hiding UNDER the box of stuff I ordered from Roy/ Third Gen?

This little puppy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
Ziggster

Wait, it gets better...

It's too short! Haha! No problem, I have 10' of the copper line I ordered to play with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
Ziggster

Wait, it's still not over. So I pull the copper line out of the plastic bag to take a pic so I can post it, and guess what? Two more fittings included! I'm a colossal idiot of epic proportions! The flathead gods are NOT happy with me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Wait, it gets better...

It's too short! Haha! No problem, I have 10' of the copper line I ordered to play with.
To funny. Are you running a phenolic spacer? Or is there a high carb riser on the intake? I know when I spoke to third gen, Mike said they bend the fuel line on an existing setup but they still seem to need some augmentation for install on any given unit. Mine fit with minimal reshaping with my 1/2" phenolic spacer.

At least you've got that extra material to play with. With that too short fuel line, you could always cut it and add an inline fuel pressure gauge .
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Mart

I'm laughing out loud here, Ziggster. Glad you're sorted.

I always use the Kunifer cupro nickel tube. To be honest I prefer the separate nuts/ferrules. The one piece ford nut combos don't seem to work as well for me.

All the best. Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
Charlie ny
BANNED

Mart,
I agree, the combo nut and ferrule can be a pain. For it is worth I always seat the ferrule on the tube using a machined female brass fitting.....never attempt to seat the ferule in the fuel inlet of a 94 airhorn.
Zig,
Do you still need three of everything ?
Charlie ny
Old 12-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
51woodie

Ziggster. If you have a tubing bender, it is fairly easy to reshape the line you have shown in post #7. I had to do that for the new line I put on '46 Coupe
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
Ziggster

You might be right Will, as I have the aluminum intake. Not sure if it is higher than the "stk" C59A cast iron intake. My engine is covered up due to proximity of my blast cabinet, and I do not want to uncover it until I'm done blasting, and have cleaned up all the dust etc.

Charlie, I'll still take three of everything if you don't mind. Still not sure what fuel fitting is better. The Ford fitting seems loose on the inlet to the carb. Loose as in terms of the external threads and how they mesh with the female threads on the carb inlet, and between the tube OD the nut ID. Of course I do not want to tighten anything down too much. What do you recommend as I have two of each?
Old 12-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Ziggster

51woodie, I do have a cheap generic plumbers tube bender. I tried it on some cheap copper tubing I picked up at Home Depot and the tube was crushed as it was bent. I recently saw a vid by Hot Rod Hippie where he had a very nice tube roller to straighten out coiled up tubing. Here is one from Eastwood, I had never seen one before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (113.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #15
Charlie ny
BANNED

Zig,
Okie dokie.......the loose fit could be from years of over tightening .The
carb material is a bit cheesey.
Charlie ny
Old 12-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #16
1952henry

Tape one end shut. Fill with fine sand, salt will work, tamp, fill, etc. When absolutely full, tape the tube shut. Then, bend away...no kinks. I've done this many times with copper, stainless, and aluminum tubing. Recently did it to bend a goose neck in 1/2" stainless tubing for a bench light I made with a y-block valve cover for a shade. Once full of sand, I used a manual conduit bender, again no kinks.

As to copper tubing, I understand it is vibration that causes work- hardening and cracks. If there is that much vibration between a fuel pump and carb on a flathead, I suggest snugging both down so they dont move around anymore. YMMV.

Last edited by 1952henry; 12-25-2020 at 12:19 PM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote