Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
pickup

Default Changing distributor on a flathead V8 8BA

Anyone have any advice on changing the distributor on my 1950 8BA flathead.
Thought about going to Petronix electronic ignition and then read about the load-o-matic vacuum spark advancement and thinking I may need to go to a distributor that has weights for advancement.

If I change distributors, what do I go to and do I have to change the carburetor or just plug up the vacuum line?
pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Changing distributor on a flathead V8 8BA

You are wise to consider upgrading. CharleyNY and Bubba's Ignition are both here on the 'Barn and both convert small block chevy distributors for the flathead. You can have centrifugal and vacuum advance or just centrifugal. You can get cheap offshore distributors, but where do you get parts and service later on? High end MSD products are available also.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Lawson Cox

Sounds like you need to post on the H.A.M.B as this forum is mostly for stock Fords.
Nice looking avatar.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Russ/40

A very common adaptation that provides both mechanical and vacuum advance characteristics that works exceptionally well is the Early Chevy distributor conversion. Quite popular a product, and available from Bubba's Ignition. He is a faithful contributor to this forum. Google him, you won't be sorry.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
donald1950

I found an MSD with vacuum advance was best for me, a bit expensive, I would also recommend one of the converted chevy units with vacuum canister from one of the great vendors on here. you will be amazed at the difference in how well your car runs with a little modern technology especially with the vacuum canister........
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
scooder

Converted chevy is a good choice. You don't need to change carburetor, just plug the hole.
Petronics in a stock loadamatic, in my opinion a waste of time and money. It will still be an old most likely worn out loadamatic. And still have the worn out and most likely ill working advance system. A system I really think worked good and done a good job. Problem is most of them arnt in tip top condition. Sticky or slack advance parts, tired springs, tired diagram, and so on. Due to there advance system balancing vacuum against spring tension, they have to be in teal good fetal to do their job properly. They don't get a fair crack at the whip.
It's the loadamatic that must have the correct carburetor. All other ignitions don't care what carburetor is on there.
If you read John's book, you'll see that it took quite a bit of work to make an aftermarket ignition produce as much torque as the loadamatic.
What's wrong with your ignition? Is their a problem with it? Why do you feel the need to change it?
Genuine honest questions, not me spouting my opinion.
When changing to a non stock ignition please remember, there is no one advance curve that's correct. All things have to be taken into account, driving style, compression ratio, gear ratios, tyre size, weight and so on. When it's curved to take account of all these, it will come alive! Anything else is a compromise.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it right.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Russ/40

I need clarify that the converted Chevy Distributor is available with or without the vacuum advance. The above post may mislead you about that. The combination with the vacuum advance is the best overall performer and is a direct bolt in no carb changes required. I agree, the loadamatic (stock) distributor in tip top shape works OK.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

If your car is still 6v you can get the points version from Bubba or Charley NY These guys know how to set the Machanical and vacuum davance for starters and the vac comes from the intake not the carb. Next will come some carb tuning for the correct AF reading and great gas mileage
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
chap52

Bubba will hook you up...Great guy to work with.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
rick r

another option is to re-work an early 1980's Chrysler 318 electronic diss'y. pm me if you want more info
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote